Help! Puppy wont find my mouse!

Booting, installing, newbie

Help! Puppy wont find my mouse!

#1 Post by Guest »

G'day all

Thought I would take puppy linux for a test drive. So I downloaded the ISO, burnt it on a shiny new CD Rom and booted it up. Everything seemed to be working fine untill it loaded the GUI. The GUI loaded successfully and quickly, but my Logitech USB WheelMouse didn't work. The puppy version I tried was 1.0.7, but I also tried the previous version and my mouse didn't work either.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Alex :D

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I have a wireless logitech-mouse at ps/2 port, and a wireless Keyboard at ps/2-port or USB-Port (via adaptor).

After starting xorg, none of them react, until I unplugg the keyboard and plug it in again.
Then both work immedeatly.
Try that.

Mark

blackdog

#3 Post by blackdog »

(I forgot to log in for my post before).

I tried that, but it still doesn't work! :x

Any other suggestions?

Cheers :D

MU

#4 Post by MU »

please type "lsmod" in a console, and post the output here.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Another thing to try:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edit this file. In the mouse section, change the protocol line:
"auto"
to
"PS/2"

#6 Post by Guest »

I had the same problem this after noon here in Seattle.

Not too unusual; I haven't found a Linux distro in a month of searching that could provide a working serial mouse, even when I've told it to use a serial mouse driver. Knoppix, Ubuntu, and Puppy, for example, show lovely GUIs, but without a mouse, there's little else for it but to reboot.

As for BarryK's idea of editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, is that even possible on a non-multisession live CD version of Puppy? I'm afraid that my attempts to burn multisession DVDs of Puppy from Win98 have so far produced a number of glistening drink coasters.

Mark Manning, Seattle (who hasn't registered with the forum yet, as it seems an odd thing to do till there's a working version of Puppy to discuss)

blackdog

#7 Post by blackdog »

Begining to get really frustrated now :evil:

Do you think I could just get another mouse or something? I think it is pretty weird how puppy linux wont even configure my usb mouse.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

blackdog wrote:Begining to get really frustrated now :evil:

Do you think I could just get another mouse or something? I think it is pretty weird how puppy linux wont even configure my usb mouse.
In /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- presuming that you have gone through the wizard or whatever and have this file.
In the mouse section, change the "auto" protocol to "usb".