Puppy 4.2 Broadcom Wireless Solved

dbock

Puppy 4.2 Broadcom Wireless Solved

#1 Post by dbock »

I had been using the official release of Pup 4.1.1. for some time and decided to try Pup 4.2 on my HP dv2415nr laptop, but could not get it to connect by wireless. It has a Broadcom Dell 1390 (4311 Rev. 2) wireless adapter. After loading the No_bcm43xx_patch.pet, and loading the b43 pcmcia module it showed wlan0, but a wireless scan would not find the network. It returned the error "Failed to raise wlan0...ifconfig:SIOCSIFFLAGS.no such file or directory". I finally figured out that Puppy 4.2 does not have the b43 firmware in /lib/firmware/b43. I copied it from the 4.1.1.install to the 4.2 install and was able to connect with the Network Wizard.

Rambola

Wireless

#2 Post by Rambola »

You say__ I finally figured out that Puppy 4.2 does not have the b43 firmware in /lib/firmware/b43. I copied it from the 4.1.1.install to the 4.2 install and was able to connect with the Network Wizard.

Could you please advise__How To:-- copied it from the 4.1.1.install to the 4.2 install and was able to connect with the Network Wizard.

dbock

#3 Post by dbock »

I had two separate Pup installs on two different usb sticks. I booted Puppy 4.1.1 and mounted the hard drive on my laptop. Then using rox I navigated to /lib/firmware (which shows the b43 folder), opened another rox window and navigated to /mnt (which shows sda1,laptop hard drive). Then I right-clicked and dragged the b43 folder to to sda1 and selected copy. Then I booted to Puppy 4.2 and reversed the procedure. Don't know why b43 is included in 4.1.1 but not 4.2.

Rambola

Wireless

#4 Post by Rambola »

Thanks very much for responce & advice Re How To copy.

Hope will be able to do with success

Thnaks again

antoniux

Without previous puppy disk

#5 Post by antoniux »

Hi there
I installed puppy 4.2 on my usb disk - 4gb in order to use it on my laptop hp 6720s.
Evrthng works but the Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g wifi card.
At first start it has been recognized and set as eth1 - eth0 is the intel lan card and it works better than on XP...
Despite the success on finding a live wifi net - some, and again SOMEtimes -
the wizard module never reached the end of the process. Failed to find a live wifi network, then unable to connect, moreover unable to obtain an ip (both dhcp and static one). The modules I used were b43 and b43_legacy.
Then I used ndiswrapper with the same driver I use on XP - bcmwl5.inf - after unloading the previous modules.
This time I reached the WEP configuration - the ESSID has been set correctly by the module - and completed the configuration wizard, but I'm not able to connect to internet.
Despite the connection to wifi networks I can't ever log into the router conf. page, while using the lan card evrthng is good.
Is there a way to provide the proper firmware - if this is the problem - assuming that I haven't any previous instll of puppy?
Maybe I can take it from web?

Dpup

Puppy 4.2 Broadcom Wireless on Acer 3003

#6 Post by Dpup »

Thanks for the solution.

Had identical problem with Acer 3003 with its internal b43xx Broadcom wifi.

Applied the same solution described in this forum, and now it works fine on Puppy 4.2.

Want to also add that the reconnect on boot may require to also install the Apr 1 Netwizard patch.

Am able now to connect and auto reconnect to WPA2 TKIP and WPA2 AES on Dlink and Airlink wireless routers.

Thanks again !,

Dpup

Dpup

Same Solution Works on Jaunty Puppy Alpha 6

#7 Post by Dpup »

Think a permanent fix needs to be made by Barry...

Found the same problem in Barry's latest test release.

I applied same fixes to Barry's Jaunty puppy Alpha 6, otherwise known as Upuptu, or Upup and most current is in Upup-466.ISO recently posted for testing, and it too, works fine.

But even if it does not get included, appears that users with the problem can just apply these fixes to the affected computers.

Dpup

dbock

#8 Post by dbock »

I could not find a seperate download for the b43 firmware. I've attached the b43 folder from Puppy 4.1.1 to this post.
Attachments
b43.zip
b43 zipped
(111.99 KiB) Downloaded 1435 times

reckrhodes

#9 Post by reckrhodes »

Are the contents of this file (b43.tar.gz) located at
/lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz of Puppy 4.20 same as yours?

How come this is not available or being used? Just a thought.

Just exploring the files.. :?

dbock

#10 Post by dbock »

The files at /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz in Puppy 4.2 appear to be the same as the b43 folder I copied from Puppy 4.1.1. Does anyone know what is happening here? Is the Broadcom device being recognized in 4.1.1 and the files are automatically extracted in 4.1.1. but not in 4.2?

JL1812

#11 Post by JL1812 »

I extracted the /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz into /lib/firmware/b43 and it worked. :P

dratner

Still having problems

#12 Post by dratner »

I have a older Dell Vostro 1500 with a Broadcom bcm4311mcg.

I should preface by saying that this adapter has worked flawlessly under Ubuntu for 2 years. It also works under #crunchbang which is a ubuntu-light distro.

I installed puppy 4.20 as I am trying out lighter Linux distros but I can't get this adapter to work under puppy. Looks like I am not alone.

Anyway, by default it loaded the b43xx driver. The status light lit on my laptop but I was never able to connect to either of my 2 wireless routers. I did some searching and saw this post about moving the b43 driver to the /lib/firmware/b43 directory. I now can't get the wireless to come up at all. Status light is off. I loaded the b43xxx patch thinking that maybe there was a conflict between these two drivers. No luck. Still not getting the status light to function.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

-Dan

plumtreed

#13 Post by plumtreed »

Dratner, your bcm4311 should respond to the Broadcom Proprietary driver.

Check this thread, especially the last post on the first page by Tempetuous. Download the highlighted 'pet'. Click on the 'pet' when you locate it in your file system. Restart and it should work!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36477

dratner

#14 Post by dratner »

ok, thanks for the heads up. Will try it out

UPDATE: Yea! up and running

Should I be able to auto connect each time I log into Puppy or do I have to keep hitting the connect button?

plumtreed

#15 Post by plumtreed »

I can't remember if it connects automatically and I am 'out of reach' of any wireless connection so I can't check.

It is probably automatic since 'wired' is auto. What happens in your case?