I want to boot from usb thumb with "save" file on hd

Using applications, configuring, problems
jafadmin

I want to boot from usb thumb with "save" file on hd

#1 Post by jafadmin »

Just like how the LiveCD boots.

The problem is this; I have a Thinkpad X60 laptop that doesn't have a native CD drive so I'm stuck booting it with a USB thumb. I'd like to have the save file on the HD so it doesn't write back to the thumbdrive for saves.

How do I get a thumb install to check the HD for .2fs files like the Live CD does?

Thanks in advance. I searched for a couple of hours. It's probably stupid simple, but I'm drawing a blank here. :?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try this:

1. Copy the pup_xxx.sfs file onto your hard drive.

2. Go to your thumb drive and open the file syslinux.cfg.

3. You should see the argument "pmedia=usbflash". Change it to "pmedia=atahd".

When the thumb drive boots, this will force it to look on the hard drive for the .sfs file. It will then save the pup_save.2fs file in the same place.

jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

Very close. You got me looking in the right place.

It needed "pmedia=cd" (even though the machine has no cd drive)

That made it look on all drives for all .2fs files.

Thanks!
Last edited by jafadmin on Thu 07 May 2009, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

That is MONSTER!

I can boot with the thumbdrive and choose between the .2fs file on the machine's HD or the one on the USB thumb. If I use the one on the local HD I can remove the thumbdrive once puppy boots. It no longer needs the thumbdrive for anything.

Man, that's beautiful.

irishrm

#5 Post by irishrm »

This is something I would also like to do. Could you help me find the file syslinux.cfg. I have been using Puppy for some time but am not great at finding my way around. Thanks irishrm.

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

irishrm wrote:This is something I would also like to do. Could you help me find the file syslinux.cfg. I have been using Puppy for some time but am not great at finding my way around. Thanks irishrm.
the easiest way is to boot a machine with a LiveCD then insert and mount the thumbdrive. You'll find the .cfg file in the root of the usb thumbdrive.

irishrm

#7 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for that jafadmin. It worked well. Its great to be able to pick up so many tips here on the forums. Irishrm