Which AT init string to use with ext modem Solved

Using applications, configuring, problems
New Puppy Fan

Which AT init string to use with ext modem Solved

#1 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Ater no luck making Connexant modem to work with Puppy 1.0.2 (2.6 kernel) I've found an external modem. Ran modem wizard, it found modem on ttyS0, fine. Starting Gkdial I got response about lost connection. The modem doesn't seem to receve any command (no LED are flashing). This modem works just fine in Windows.
How it's possible to configure the modem? As long as it is hardware modem there are no drivers required. Or I miss something here?
Thanks!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

What modem are you using, as most external modems work with Linux.
I would check the hardware section of the the wiki to see if your modem is listed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Problem with external modem

#3 Post by BarryK »

New Puppy Fan wrote:Ater no luck making Connexant modem to work with Puppy 1.0.2 (2.6 kernel) I've found an external modem. Ran modem wizard, it found modem on ttyS0, fine. Starting Gkdial I got response about lost connection. The modem doesn't seem to receve any command (no LED are flashing). This modem works just fine in Windows.
How it's possible to configure the modem? As long as it is hardware modem there are no drivers required. Or I miss something here?
Thanks!
Maybe -- well, highly likely -- it's the chatscript.
Go to /etc/ppp/chatscripts/
and edit the file that should be in there.
There's a line like this:

Code: Select all

"" "ATsomething"
Change it to:

""  "ATZ"
GuestToo hacked the gkdial executable to default to this, but I haven't put it
in yet. "ATZ" is a much more generic modem initialisation string.

New Puppy Fan

Re: Problem with external modem

#4 Post by New Puppy Fan »

BarryK wrote: Maybe -- well, highly likely -- it's the chatscript. Go to /etc/ppp/chatscripts/
and edit the file that should be in there. There's a line like this:
Change it to:

""  "ATZ"
GuestToo hacked the gkdial executable to default to this, but I haven't put it in yet. "ATZ" is a much more generic modem initialisation string.
Thanks, Barry. It works, modem dials, I get connection, but after a few seconds it hangs up. May be I should add something else to "ATZ" command.
Thank you.
P.S. Merry Christmas all!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Try calling your ISP and asking them how they recommend you configure your modem string. Or send them an email. :)

kethd

#6 Post by kethd »

One approach would be to try other Linux distro LiveCDs, like Knoppix, see if they work with that external modem in that computer. If they do, you will know you are on the right track, and you might be able to learn something from the way they config/init the modem.

jcoder24

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

The first place to look is in /var/log/messages for anything related to ppp. After that check /etc/ppp/connect-errors. Also see here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3799

Glitchman

Try xeznet with chat=no setting

#8 Post by Glitchman »

This is what works for my external US Robotics modem:

I use xeznet since gkdial never works. Basically, I add a new connection in xeznet (edit does not work), fill in Basic Settings, then under Modem Settings, I type "no" (without quotes) next to chat.

Thanks everyone

#9 Post by Guest »

Thanks to everyone!
I'll try what fits best for me and let you know.

Re: Try xeznet with chat=no setting

#10 Post by Guest »

Glitchman wrote:This is what works for my external US Robotics modem:

I use xeznet since gkdial never works. Basically, I add a new connection in xeznet (edit does not work), fill in Basic Settings, then under Modem Settings, I type "no" (without quotes) next to chat.
Glitchman, could you write more details about filling up all Settings and how to make modem to dial up the number.
Thanks.

Glitchman

Xeznet step-by-step

#11 Post by Glitchman »

Here is how I set up my connection in more detail:

1. Auto-detect your modem via the Modem Wizard by clicking each of the buttons until you find the appropriate setting (in my case it's ttyS1.)
2. Open xeznet and click the Add button.
3. Type anything you want next to service.
4. Fill in the phone # of your ISP, your user name, and password.
5. Click the dropdown menu at the top and change from Basic Settings to Modem Settings.
6. Type "no" next to chat (without the quotes) and click OK to complete.
7. Click the service you just created and click Up to connect.

It's that easy for me. Note that the Edit button does not work properly for some reason. Use Delete and Add if you wish to make any changes.

Re: Xeznet step-by-step

#12 Post by Guest »

Glitchman wrote:Here is how I set up my connection in more detail:

1. Auto-detect your modem via the Modem Wizard by clicking each of the buttons until you find the appropriate setting (in my case it's ttyS1.)
2. Open xeznet and click the Add button.
3. Type anything you want next to service.
4. Fill in the phone # of your ISP, your user name, and password.
5. Click the dropdown menu at the top and change from Basic Settings to Modem Settings.
6. Type "no" next to chat (without the quotes) and click OK to complete.
7. Click the service you just created and click Up to connect.

It's that easy for me. Note that the Edit button does not work properly for some reason. Use Delete and Add if you wish to make any changes.
I did exactly what you have written and I've got a connection, almost opened a Puppy home page, but connection suddenly keeps dropping each time for some reason. Error message says "No carrier". Mayby I should put extra INIT MODEM settings?
Thanks!

#13 Post by Guest »

Hi,
If you can open a communication terminal in puppy (i don't know how with puppy) type ATV and press enter.

That will display the default saved init string that ATZ loads. Post it here with the make and model of your modem and it should be a snap to fix.

jcoder24

Re: Xeznet step-by-step

#14 Post by jcoder24 »

Anonymous wrote:I did exactly what you have written and I've got a connection, almost opened a Puppy home page, but connection suddenly keeps dropping each time for some reason. Error message says "No carrier". Mayby I should put extra INIT MODEM settings?
Thanks!
Usually "No carrier" indicates a line/cabling problem, it's also possible although less likely to be a faulty modem. Here are some pointers:

1) Plug a handset into the modem line and pick up the receiver. Do you hear a 'clean' dial tone or do your hear hissing, static or crackling sounds? If you do that's a sure indication of a line problem.

2) Check /etc/ppp/connect-errors to see what speed you connected at. Low connection speeds can result from 'noise' on the line.

3) Since you're using dialup I assume you don't have a (A)DSL line as that can be an issue as well.

4) Inspect both ends of the telephone cable for corrosion/coatings. Also inspect the connection box for the telephone cable for the same corrosion/coatings. If you see any you could probably try cleaning it off. Try changing the telephone cable as well.

5) Check your init string (I think it's located in /etc/ppp/chat-script). Some init strings cause the modem to be more susceptible to noise on the line. Also if your modem and ISP both support V.92 you may want to try a string that diables modem-on-hold MoH. Check google for more info on init strings.

6) Try testing the modem on a different computer or with another OS.

7) Ask your telephone company to check the line. It's possible that you can have line issues that not discernable using the test above.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

jc is right on. I have had this problem with persistent regularity. My single external modem is connected to a plethora of machines via a ditto of cables and switch boxes. Whilst it always connected with 'doze, it became something of a lottery with Linux distros. Eventually, I came to recognise, but not cure, a poor connection somewhere in the system - probably corrosion on a contact? Waggling all the leads, connectors and rotating the switches always cures the problem - eventually. Determining which of these is the critical one has not been possible, so far. For reasons that completely elude me, the ancient diallers in Linux seem especially prone????
Incidentally, as outlined in other threads, the make of external serial modem, the ISP and all that other stuff is generally irrelevant - it should work without drivers in ANY OS - perversely, even in 'doze.
It is possible to check the line, the connection, etc from eg Knoppix, using the terminal option in manual setup of KPPP by issuing a few simple Hayes commands like ATH, ATZ followed by ATDT<your number here>, which should elicit a BUSY response. Don't forget to ATH, and ATZ before exiting, just for good practice.
The attraction of external SERIAL modems, {note: NOT USB}, is that they work on anything, are portable and drivers aren't essential, although issuing ATI 1 through 9 will provide all the info you could ever need about it. We did all this recently, elsewhere.

#16 Post by Guest »

Hi,
I'm not trying to be rude or argue with this post. This is just the one and only basic fact needed to insure the modem will work with any OS without any changes as stated above. You must be sure the settings stored in the ROM are the factory defaults. They are not the same for every make and model. If the modem came from eBAY or some unknown source they may not be the defaults. The ATI command just shows the status of the rom, not the commands stored in it. To assure a fresh start and have the best chance of the modem working the ATV command is used to show the settings that are stored in rom because that is what is loaded with the atz command (default init string). After the results from the atv command are retrieved they should be compared to the factory defaults, make any change needed and save with at&W. If this step is bypassed you will just be in luck mode.
So as Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry "Do Ya Feel Lucky"
Good luck and happy new year

willhunt

maybe

#17 Post by willhunt »

AT&F&W
&F fetch factory default &W write it
and then
ATZ

if not here is a good place to find a init string
http://www.modemhelp.org/setdef.html

#18 Post by Guest »

&F is just the flow control template. Software, hardware and none. The ONLY way to set ALL default values is posted above.

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Secondhand kit is an entirely different scenario. All the used ones that come my way are dead! It isn't generally understood how vunerable telephone equipment is to ionisation as well as direct lightning strikes!
Best option is to flash the ROM and get the latest version at the same time, possibly even V92. Another reason it is so much better to work with HW devices - they can be upgraded easily by folks who don't do SW!

Problem with external modem (Solved)

#20 Post by Guest »

willhunt wrote:AT&F&W
&F fetch factory default &W write it
and then
ATZ

if not here is a good place to find a init string
http://www.modemhelp.org/setdef.html
Thanks all of you, guys, for your advices. AT&F&W didn't work. ATZ worked fine, but dropped the line after 1 minute of connection. ATH worked good too.
I tried to play with TIMEOUT=60 in /etc/ppp/chatscripts. There was no luck. Then I opened the modem and tried to play with connectors on the circuit board. One of them made the difference! I'm writing from my first stable connection in Puppy 1.0.2 ! I'm using external ZOOM VFXV32bis modem. It's very old, of course, but it's free for me. Good luck!