magerlab

#101 Post by magerlab »

that will be very nice

does real sloppy focus work on jwm?

i mean the window that gets focus do not popup like it works in boxpup or xfwm4

DC

#102 Post by DC »

Hi
Would it be possible to have two lines of text beneath the desktop icons and centering of text?

example

My reason - I have 14 partitions on my desktop and would to identify them easier i.e.

...sda10
LinuxData

thanks

DC

panzerpuppy

#103 Post by panzerpuppy »

Does JWM support gradient menus?

When I specify a gradient color for the background,the menu turns gray :(

Before:

Code: Select all

<MenuStyle>
	<Font>DejaVu Sans-11</Font>
	<Foreground>#DBD4C1</Foreground>
	<Background>gray30</Background>
	<ActiveForeground>gray20</ActiveForeground>
	<ActiveBackground>#FCE08A:#AC510B</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>
After:

<MenuStyle>
	<Font>DejaVu Sans-11</Font>
	<Foreground>#DBD4C1</Foreground>
	<Background>#1CE0DA:#0C510B</Background>
	<ActiveForeground>gray20</ActiveForeground>
	<ActiveBackground>#FCE08A:#AC510B</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>
I'd like to have gradient <background> *and* gradient <active background> at the same time. Is that possible with the latest JWM snapshot?
Attachments
JWM_menu.png
JWM menu
(39.96 KiB) Downloaded 1669 times

dejan555

#104 Post by dejan555 »

It supports gradients only in "ActiveBackground"
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

bugman

#105 Post by bugman »

thanks for this, it's a lot of fun!

i might be missing something, but when i launch apps [such as rxvt] they always launch opaque, and i have to change them

is there a way to get any or all of them to launch transparent?

EDIT - i figured this out, one of my problems was that setting the bg in rxvt to black makes it impossible to be transparent :oops:

also, this works better:

<Group>
      <Name>ROX-Filer</Name>
      <Name>rxvt</Name>
      <Option>translucent</Option>
   </Group>
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(105.22 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

lilleguard-liste

#106 Post by lilleguard-liste »

@Patriot

Thank you very much, Patriot, for having improved JWM! Having keyboard shortcut to showdesktop and including minimized windows when toggling is great! This should be included in future Puppy releases.

If you are still working on improving JWM, I have some suggestions:
1. possibility to change JWM
2. browsing through JWM menu by writing the first letters of the application I want ("Seam..." -> Seamonkey)
3. If this is not possible, is it possible to make an additional personal menu which appears by pressing a keyboard shortcut, and disappears after selecting desired application?

Why does the JWM menu have to be a single column? It appears by pressing F12 and disappears after selecting desired app. It wouldnt be in the way even if it covered the whole screen! Perhaps it could cover the whole screen, and your favorite apps could be huge icons, while seldomly used apps could be mini-icons?

And one more issue...
All of my choices above is derived from my wish to navigate with the keyboard, but sometimes I like using a mouse as well, and I love puppy linux for having the menu appearing if I rightclick anywhere on the desktop instead of having to navigate down to the left corner. But why isn't it possible to access the menu whenever you rightclick (even if you are clickin inside an open application)? I know that a application specific context menu appears, but the jwm menu could for instance appear above the pointer?

I hope somebody reads this although I wrote way too much...

tombom62

#107 Post by tombom62 »

Hey everyone. New here, fairly new to linux (Been using it for a year, but not done anything fancy). I have one computer with puppy linux. I use this on my laptop (Debian) and my other copmuter with puppy linux. I have some others with various window managers and des but I LOVE EJWM! (That's what one of my frineds who showed this to me calls it). It does work on debian, or probably most linux OSes, so I think it should be more popular! It makes JWM stay lightweight, but it doesn't look old! (I always think those light WMs look kinda "old")

Great software, it's amazing. It should be more popular! I think this should come with and JWM distro. Like Damn Small Linux, or Puppy Linux. It's so cool. 8)

battleshooter

#108 Post by battleshooter »

Patriot wrote:Hmmm .....
lilleguard-liste wrote:.....

I have two suggestions for improvements:

1. Ever since starting to use Puppy Linux I have been annoyed that alt+tab doesn't include the applications which are minmized (icewm and every other window manager i have tried does). Is it possible to fix it?

2. Can you make a keyboard shortcut for "minimize all" and "maximize all" open applications?

Anyone else who wishes to have these two fix included, please say aye to lilleguard-liste request.

Rgds
AYE!

Battleshooter :wink:

BTW, thanks for fixing up JWM Patriot, it's so cool! I've finally been converted to liking JWM! :shock: Yeah! :D :D :D :D :D
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

Patriot

#109 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@lilleguard-liste
lilleguard-liste wrote:..........
If you are still working on improving JWM, I have some suggestions:
1. possibility to change JWM
2. browsing through JWM menu by writing the first letters of the application I want ("Seam..." -> Seamonkey)
3. If this is not possible, is it possible to make an additional personal menu which appears by pressing a keyboard shortcut, and disappears after selecting desired application?
I can't say when exactly but hopefully I'll be able to get a stretch of free time to focus on JWM again ...

Now:
1. You mean more configuration options ?
2. It's possible but I'm not keen on it. A bit too much for me to do.
3. I believe that's already possible by using key binding. Haven't tried it though.

For maximum navigation using the keyboard, I suggest assigning as many keyboard binding as you like. You can assign for example, Winkey-A to run Abiword, Winkey-G for Gnumeric, etc, etc ...
lilleguard-liste wrote: Why does the JWM menu have to be a single column? It appears by pressing F12 and disappears after selecting desired app. It wouldnt be in the way even if it covered the whole screen! Perhaps it could cover the whole screen, and your favorite apps could be huge icons, while seldomly used apps could be mini-icons?
Just to be clear, that's not JWM's decision. Puppy has single column main menu templates. JWM only use whatever menu structure that puppy provides it. You're free to turn them into 2 or 3 level sub-menus.
lilleguard-liste wrote:..........
.....if I rightclick anywhere on the desktop instead of having to navigate down to the left corner. But why isn't it possible to access the menu whenever you rightclick (even if you are clickin inside an open application)? I know that a application specific context menu appears, but the jwm menu could for instance appear above the pointer? ..........
When an external application is (opened and) having focus, JWM must not interfere. Many applications has their own use for right clicks. Dabbling with context menus in external applications requires external dependencies and currently not possible with JWM.

@battleshooter & tombom69
I hope you both enjoyed using JWM enhanced as much as I do. Those two improvements is already included if I'm not mistaken.

Rgds

Patriot

#110 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

I've recently looked into how XDG menus are converted to JWM menus in puppy. I've made some minor enhancements to jwm-xdgmenu utility & fixmenus script.

The jwm-xdgmenu will :

1. Add double spaces before a menu entry
2. Allow adjustable menu heights
3. Check for icon extension. Default to .png if it's missing.
4. still be backward compatible with previous jwm template.

The fixmenus script will now retain formatting and layout of the template. The sample template is for puppy 4.1.x and you are expected to use it as a base example.

At the same time, I've also updated blinky with gnome status icons to go along with the new look of JWM enhancements.

Rgds
Attachments
jwm-menus.png
JWM sub-menus with adjustable sub-menus height sample screenshot
(97.69 KiB) Downloaded 2439 times
blinky-bling.png
blinky gnome status icon screenshot
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 2531 times
sample-jwm-template.tar.gz
sample _root_.jwm sub-menus &amp; adjustable height template
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 960 times
blinky-0.8-3-big.tar.gz
blinky big icon binary
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
blinky-0.8-3-small.tar.gz
blinky small icon binary
(14.39 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
blinky-0.8-3-pe-source.tar.gz
blinky updated icon source
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
jwm-xdgmenu-0.7.6-5-binary.tar.gz
jwm-xdgmenu binary
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
jwm-xdgmenu-0.7.6-5-source.tar.gz
jwm-xdgmenu source
(14.55 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
fixmenus.tar.gz
fixmenus script : retain formatting &amp; layout
(772 Bytes) Downloaded 888 times

battleshooter

#111 Post by battleshooter »

Patriot wrote:
@battleshooter & tombom69
I hope you both enjoyed using JWM enhanced as much as I do. Those two improvements is already included if I'm not mistaken.

Rgds
Aye, that's right, they are already in, just wanted to let you know they were appreciated. :D I still haven't got over how nice you've got JWM. It's better than Icewm cause it's much more responsive, at least so I find. Beaut! Great job Patriot, thanks again. :D

Also just for feedback, I'm using your new blinky, works fine.

One very happy "customer",
Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

synth

#112 Post by synth »

Is there any way to fully maximize the windows (so they are covered by the tray) when the tray is always on top?
Attachments
maximize_no_good.png
Where's the bug spray?
(19 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times
maximize_good.png
A nice launchbar
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 1371 times

gpnet

#113 Post by gpnet »

Hi to all Guys,

I am new here and to puppy. I was just getting confidence with it.

I am interested in this post because I was looking for a way to manage JWM menu items. ( add , remove , change ). I liked very much the images you posted and appreciate the work you did.

I don't know what is the name of the program responsible for managing the menu and how and where the items are stored.

If I well understood the jwm-xdgmenu-0.7.6-5 is the the program to manage the jwm menu ?. if so how can replace the original.
what is blinky ? how I use it ?.

Could you give me a hand to understand and to use these binaries ?

gpnet

gpnet

#114 Post by gpnet »

Hi Patriot,

I investigate a little and I found some replies to my questions.
Now I know how the menus are managed and generated by jwm-xdgmenu and fixmenus.

I downloaded the patches you did and I tried to see what they does.
I don't know how to use blinky and where. I would like to reproduce a main menu with the same colors like I seen here in your post.

Could you give me a hand, plese ?

thanks

ttuuxxx

#115 Post by ttuuxxx »

gpnet wrote:Hi Patriot,

I investigate a little and I found some replies to my questions.
Now I know how the menus are managed and generated by jwm-xdgmenu and fixmenus.

I downloaded the patches you did and I tried to see what they does.
I don't know how to use blinky and where. I would like to reproduce a main menu with the same colors like I seen here in your post.

Could you give me a hand, plese ?

thanks
Hi

Blinky is the network monitor that shows up in the taskbar when your online, it blinkys when info is sent to and from your pc. Like on windows :)
The menus are added and changed by things like the
/usr/share/applications <--- in that folder you'll see lots of ***.desktop files, right click on one and open it as text.
The the .desktop file it tells xdg menus basically that there is a program with a name, that goes into one category That includes a icon and name.
If you delete any of those .desktop files, it will remove the name from the menu.

also menu categories are made in /etc/xdg theres a few in there to look at. mostly /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc we look at but the others do help.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

gpnet

#116 Post by gpnet »

Hi ttuuxxx,

thanks for replay,

As I say in my post, now I know how the menus are managed. What I don't know is how to change fonts , colors, transparencies ..and so on...

I mean , I would like to reproduce the same menu Patriot post here. ( I liked very much) Do I have to read some wiki or tutorial ? or are there some example to do that?.

And about blinky.. Where do I have to put the binaries blinky-0.8-3big and small and how I can use it and where ( some script ??).

thank you

Patriot

#117 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Hey there gpnet,
gpnet wrote:.....
What I don't know is how to change fonts , colors, transparencies ..and so on...
And about blinky.. Where do I have to put the binaries blinky-0.8-3big and small and how I can use it and where ( some script ??).
1. Fonts for desktop icons can be selected from ROX-Filer options (ie. pinboard -> custom fonts)

2. Fonts for applications is controlled through GTK theme. Have a look at GTk theme chooser and use the font selection at the bottom.

3. Colors for JWM is specified through JWM themes and can be selected from the JWM configuration in start menu. GTK colors can be selected from GTK themes chooser. Some experimenting will hopefully make you understand better.

4. Translucency is explained briefly in my Q&A on the first page of this thread. Have a look over there first.

5. Blinky as ttuuxxx mentioned is a network monitor applet. It is enabled by default except on puppy 4.20 whereby you probably will have to add these lines to the swallow sections in /root/.jwmrc-tray :

<Swallow name="blinky">
	blinky -bg "#F7CEB5"
</Swallow>
This will load the blinky applet whenever JWM starts. The -bg option is the tray background color. To find where blinky is located, open a terminal and do :

# which blinky

Before copying over the new blinky, you may want to make a copy of the previous version. The blinky tray icon will only appear once your network is configured and running (ie. use the network wizard).

Rgds

gpnet

#118 Post by gpnet »

Hi Patriot ,

Thank for replay.

1. Thanks for showing me where to find info about jwm themes and colors. I tried and I see how it runs and take place. thanks.

2. I have puppy 4.2 installed with xvesa in virtualbox 2.2 env. ( hosted by XP)
It is possible to get transparency in xvesa ?

3. I don't know which jwm version I have installed. I mean your patches are included in 4.2 or not.?

4. I tried the command "which blinky" in terminal but I had no response, Than I argue I don't have any version installed, So where do I have to install these binaries ?.

thank for your help.

jakfish

#119 Post by jakfish »

Been using stock jwm in puppy 4.1.3. Just to be sure I get the fully-updated version in this thread, do I use the the 2.0.1 pet on page one and then the patches on page eight?

Jake

gpnet

#120 Post by gpnet »

Hi jakfish,

thanks for the suggestions ? , but is nor clear enough for me. I am a puppy newbie.

Are you saying that if I install a jwm update found on page 1 and than apply the patch on page height i have transparency working ?

Can you confirm this, please ?... and if so what I have to set in menus to get transparency ?.

What about the DIR where to install Blinky-0.8.3 big and small ??

Thansk