Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Nov 2019, 18:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Can't get WIFI to work (solved - sort of)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
crazydave

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2009, 00:11    Post subject:  Can't get WIFI to work (solved - sort of)
Subject description: Can't get wifi to work usb WG322G and Toshiba laptop

Hi folks, very new Linux user here.

I have had a search through the forums and cant find the answer to my question so here goes.

Hardware,
Toshiba Satellite 4090XDCT (cira 1997)
10G hard drive (3 partitions Puppy 3.8G, swap 1G and an empty 4.5G, intended to be data)
USB TP-Link TL-WN322G wifi dongle connected to usb 1.1 port that the computer has.
184mb RAM
400MHZ processor

I have USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card installed and have the same problems with that card under Puppy (and as an aside couldn't get the network stable using this card under windows not sure why, could get it to work through the USB 1.1 with this dongle under windows XP)

Running Puppy 4.20 hard drive install on a clean (reformatted drive).

I run through the network wizard and find that ZD1211rW driver is auto loaded and I have a wlan0 connection - great

Scan for networks (there are two available and I am connected to one writing this post) and get
"Error
Failed to raise interface wlan0
Failed command was wlan0 up
Error Returned was ifconfig SIOCSIFFLAGS: connection timed out"

so try NDISWrapper with the supplied driver ZD1211bu.inf and get the error

"zd1211bu invalid driver"

So go an try auto probe and come up with 6 or 8 modules that load none of which find wlan0.

HELP what do I do to get this connection to work

Also why we are at it I cant get the sound to work either but that isn't all that important.

But apart form those two issues great distro that may bring this steem powered computer back to life yet

Thanks folks
crazydave

PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2009, 04:03    Post subject: Solution  

Hi folks,
Thought I should reply to close this one off and hopefully help anyone who follows.

www.linux-wless.passys.nl has a good list of compatible wireless interfaces (although not complete) When you look at the WN322G it only works with kernel 2.6.27.18 or later puppy 4.2 uses 2.6.25.16 so this device is never going to work.

So bought a D-link DWA-610 works with open network out of the box (just run through the network wizard) - I haven't tested with a WPA connection yet.

the sound I worked out as well just needed to configure that using the ALSA sound wizard.
belfasteddie

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2009, 04:26    Post subject:  

I use a Pluscom USB adapter ZD1211rw (B) , NB take notice of the B.
I also use 4.2. The Wireless works right out of the box.
I have installed just about every Puppy thats on this site and there are a few varieties that won't load the ZD1211 but in the majority they load it.
I recently upgraded the firmware on it to the latest and it works great.
Added: I have just read your specs. You state that the USB dongle is attached to a USB 1.1 port. That will only give you 11 Mbs, you need to be on USB 2.0 for it to get 54 Mbs.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 09 May 2009, 06:01    Post subject:  

crazydave wrote:
When you look at the WN322G it only works with kernel 2.6.27.18 or later

Yes, apparently the zd1211rw driver was recently revised to accommodate the TP-Link WN322/422G. The modification is listed here -
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123379090904294&w=2

I was quite easy to apply that patch to Puppy's 2.6.25.16 kernel, so I have attached the updated zd1211rw driver here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=303585#303585
crazydave

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2009, 11:12    Post subject:  

Thanks folks,

tempertuous
I wasn't expecting some one to apply patch and provide the updated driver but thanks. Probably a far bit of work for only a few users.

I will give it a shot when I get a bit of time.

belfasteddie - I am aware of the speed issue and have a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card but was trying to remove that as the source of the problem. Just getting the dongle to work would have been ok. The computer only gets used for a bit of email and some light surfing.
Unhban

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 12:03    Post subject:  

Hi! I had this problem and thankfully via Google found this thread, but I tried the patch and it doesn't seem to work for me (I did reboot).

I'm using BoxPup 4.1.3. on an AMD K6 233 with 256Mb RAM. The wifi dongle is a WN322G.

As I only got the dongle this morning, to prove it worked I tried it on my XP machine and Ubuntu 9.04 (on the same machine but different hard drive) and it works fine. But with BoxPup I get the dreaded Failed to raise interface wlan0

One thing I do notice with the dongle on BoxPup is that the red light goes out completely when it does a scan and stays out, whereas with XP and U9.04 it flickered - I worked out when the red light is out it's transmitting.....

To be honest I'm a bit of a noob with all this but the recent installation of Ubuntu has helped me along the way... and it's totally better than Windows! Smile

Any thoughts?

Unh.
Unhban

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 09:07    Post subject:  

I found the answer to this problem and now have BoxPup nicely running with my WN322G dongle.

The answer was that the patch modifies file

lib/modules/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw.ko

OK but does not modify file

lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw.ko

So I renamed the latter to zd1211rw_orig.ko and copied the former .ko file into the latter directory.

Voila! It worked and I didn't even have to reboot!

Unh.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 09:54    Post subject:  

Thank you for identifying this bug, Unhban.
Dotpet now fixed, and re-attached here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=303585#303585
Unhban

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 12:00    Post subject:  

Cheers... All in a days puppying.... Smile

Unh.
Benboom

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul 2009, 20:47    Post subject:  

I just got one of these TP-Link WN322G USB modems and the driver loads and the system says everything was successful. However, none of my browsers are able to connect to the internet. i would like to get it working, because the config process shows a strength of 100%, which is far better than the working USB modem I'm now using.

I am using a frugal system (Puppy 421) installed on the hard drive and it doesn't even have the first directory mentioned in the earlier post so I couldn't copy the file anyway, but supposedly the updated version fixed that.

I'm clueless enough about linux and all of this stuff that if anybody tells me which shell commands to get the output from I'd be happy to oblige.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: