Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
showdownmetal

#101 Post by showdownmetal »

i cant seem to find the conky config files... i changed the background and i cant really see the white... and is there a way to add icons to the dock at the top of the screen? any help is much appreciated!

T_Hobbit

#102 Post by T_Hobbit »

Boxpup looks great on Acer Aspire One!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

redandwhitestripes

#103 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see it:

How can the on-screen clock and calender be safely removed?

Thanks for a great distro!
Greg

Q5sys

2 things...

#104 Post by Q5sys »

JustGreg wrote:How does one remve the analog clock from the desktop? (Answer! To remove one needs to edit .xinitrc and comment out the line 125 that has xonclock)

How does one move the calendar from out of the tree branches? (For completeness, Gray told me to where to look. Answer! One needs to edit /etc/conky/rc_cal lines 56 and 57 to move the calendar. Line 56 has gap_x varialble, increasing the value moves the calendar to the left. Line 57 has gap_y varialble, increasing the value moves the calendar down towards the bottom. I settled with gap_y 520.)
1st thing. With the clock. this .xinitrc file... where is it? Ive tried to find it but I cant. For the calander you've kindly given us a directory. Can you give me one for the clock. And while im at it. You explain how to move the calander around the desktop, is there a way to remove it all together?
[UPDATE: I just changed the gap_y to something large enough to no longer show on my screen. While this makes it non visable, its still running. Anyway to turn it off?] [I did find a xinitrc file in /etc/xdg/xfce4/ But... there is nothing about xonclock anywhere in it. Is there somewhere else I need to look?]

2nd thing. I love conky, but i've seen other puppy releases with it looking something like this: http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/albums/use ... KrellM.jpg
How can we go about modifing Conky? I did a search online but all i found was a site with some ubuntu scripts. I just prefer a taller more narrow conky.
[UPDATE: I found some conky scripts on another site, and I have a few I want to try out, but i cant seem to get them to work. I tried just replacing the files i have with the new ones, but that didnt seem to work; any advice?]
Any help would be appreciated.
Ive tried to use other puplets but this one just keeps bringing me back. Its got everythind I need. Thanks!

37fleetwood

#105 Post by 37fleetwood »

well, I was playing with Boxpup again and found the perfect wallpaper.
can the color of the tint bar be changed to a nice light sage green or something?
and no one ever answered my question, is there an advantage to Open Box over some of the others? I have a small computer that I haven't played with yet, and am wondering which Puplet to use. anyway here's the new screenshot (actually I'm using the earlier version of Boxpup)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

Q5sys

#106 Post by Q5sys »

37fleetwood wrote:well, I was playing with Boxpup again and found the perfect wallpaper.
Thats great, do you have a link available for that wallpaper? Id love to add it to my collection that I sample from.

37fleetwood

#107 Post by 37fleetwood »

I couldn't remember where I found this little guy but a search found these, the one I originally found was much larger. let me know if you want the big one, I'll keep looking.:
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

Q5sys

#108 Post by Q5sys »

37fleetwood wrote:I couldn't remember where I found this little guy but a search found these, the one I originally found was much larger. let me know if you want the big one, I'll keep looking.:
Yea if you could find a larger one that'd be great. You dont need to post it here, just post the link and I'll nab it that way. Any idea on possible titles for the file? I'm willing to spend lots of time on images.google, but I have no idea what to use for my query.

37fleetwood

#109 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, I found the jackpot! his name is Danbo, all you have to do is google him. I thought he was cute for Boxpup being a box boy and all. :lol:
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

redandwhitestripes

#110 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Let me add my name to the list of grateful users.

Just one question - How can I remove the clock and calendar from the screen?

37fleetwood

#111 Post by 37fleetwood »

Q5sys wrote:
37fleetwood wrote:I couldn't remember where I found this little guy but a search found these, the one I originally found was much larger. let me know if you want the big one, I'll keep looking.:
Yea if you could find a larger one that'd be great. You dont need to post it here, just post the link and I'll nab it that way. Any idea on possible titles for the file? I'm willing to spend lots of time on images.google, but I have no idea what to use for my query.
Ok, I believe I found the big one here, you may have to look through the pages. be careful as this is a Japanese board and almost anything can show up.
http://img.420chan.org/w/index.html
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

gray

calendar

#112 Post by gray »

@redandwhitestripes

In the filemanager make sure the show hidden files option is ticked in the View menu. Then use mousepad to edit the .xinitrc file in the root directory. At the bottom comment out the lines for xonclock and the conky calendar.

#conky -c /etc/conky/rc_cal &
[ -e /root/.conky_sw ] && /etc/conky/conky_start &
#xonclock &

sertse

suggestion for future version

#113 Post by sertse »

The latest version of tint now includes its own system tray, so no need to use external apps like stalonetray etc. Might to good to upgrade to it, if/when boxpup 4.2 is made. :)

wkr

Petget problem

#114 Post by wkr »

I have a problem with petget. When I click on a pet package I get the normal message : "Welcome ! you have chosen to install etc.", but when I click on "install package", nothing happens. If I do another install, I get an additional "warning : package already installed". Is there a fix ?

Otherwise, with its right choices (Openbox, Lxpanel and Thunar ), Boxpup is the better pupplet I have ever tried (NOP being a bit slow with my old P4 2.4G processor and only 512M RAM)

magerlab

#115 Post by magerlab »

@ gray:
i want to suggest a boxpup -nop mix
where thre will be both desktops
openbox( with tint or xfce4-panel) and xfce4

i still use first boxpup ( based on 4.0) on my desktop
it's so slim and useful

magerlab

#116 Post by magerlab »

@ gray:
i want to suggest a boxpup -nop mix
where thre will be both desktops
openbox( with tint or xfce4-panel) and xfce4

also i want to see a new tint with a tray
i still use first boxpup ( based on 4.0) on my desktop
it's so slim and useful

thank you

wosifat

#117 Post by wosifat »

So, in simplest terms, what's the difference between the original Boxpup and 4.1.2?
Thanks for all you've done with Boxpup, gray. My ideal Puppy will more than likely be based on some flavor of Boxpup. However, it does have things I don't use or don't like. I've come around on Thunar over Rox, however I would like to know if it's possible to change some of the icons. I prefer geany to Leafpad, Asunder to Rip Off CD (like to be able to do 256k rips instead of just 128.) I hardly ever use xine, prefering VLC. And I still prefer Firefox over Opera (my Facebook addiction seems to agree.) Although I know it doesn't make much of a difference having them there, it still irks me a bit just knowing the stuff is taking up room. I've heard Pup B Gone doesn't work with Openbox, so is there any other way to remove unwanted elements of Boxpup, or at least take the out of the menu?
Thanks again.

Colonel Panic

#118 Post by Colonel Panic »

DaveS wrote:
May I know how you add libstdc++.so.5? portabase also neeb this lib.

Thanks
This is easy, but not dead straightforward. First, you need to add the lib file libstdc++.so.5.0.6 to directory /usr/lib/
You may already have it, so check first, but if not I have attached a zipped version for you. Just un-archive it and drop it in to /usr/lib/
When you have done that, you must create a symlink, also in /usr/lib/ to this file, then re-name the symlink to libstdc++.so.5
After that, it will all work just fine.
Thanks for this, I use Portabase (it's a great little program:) ) and was wondering why I couldn't get it working in Boxpup.

Cheers,

Colonel Panic.

Colonel Panic

#119 Post by Colonel Panic »

DaveS wrote:
May I know how you add libstdc++.so.5? portabase also neeb this lib.

Thanks
This is easy, but not dead straightforward. First, you need to add the lib file libstdc++.so.5.0.6 to directory /usr/lib/
You may already have it, so check first, but if not I have attached a zipped version for you. Just un-archive it and drop it in to /usr/lib/
When you have done that, you must create a symlink, also in /usr/lib/ to this file, then re-name the symlink to libstdc++.so.5
After that, it will all work just fine.
Thanks for this, I use Portabase (it's a great little program), and was wondering why I couldn't get it working in Boxpup. Now I can.

Cheers,

Colonel Panic.

`f00

#120 Post by `f00 »

@wosifat - indeed, browser-choice is a user-fit issue (have you considered P413boxpup with Firepup?). Also you might like medit as another text editor (a bit like a 'geany-lite' in some ways). Mmm, icons - many things can be done with the *.desktop files (including moving them to another dir to get them "off the menu" as a quick workaround). Remaster is a more robust solution to locking your changes in and 'trimming' once it all works (it works well for me on liveCD, anyway). The differences in the 'parent pup' are mostly in the release notes or on the dl page for the puplet, I believe.

:lol: you can have Rox as another file manager (Thunar's great, but some puppians are more comfy with Rox on occasion).