Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 19:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 37 [543 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr 2009, 00:06    Post subject:  

dc740,
Thanks for posting how you get the MF626 to run in Ubuntu. You show that it is possible. Wilky and I are stuck in trying to make usb_modeswitch work, and suspect our problem is with timing. Until now, usb_modeswitch seems to run before the modem is ready to understand the mode-switch command.

Besides timing, we use the argument form of invoking usb_modeswitch, instead of the configuration file. Could you verify that our translation of the configuration entry into arguments has not introduced any surprises? To do that, replace the line in your script:
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
with (all in one line):
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -v 0x19d2 -p 0x2000 -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0031 -m 0x01 -M 55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000 -s 9

In a separate run try the alternate message content:
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -v 0x19d2 -p 0x2000 -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0031 -m 0x01 -M 5553424312345678000000000000061b000000030000000000000000000000 -s 9

You should not have to do both, although it appears that you do, since both are uncommented in your configuration entry.

For each of your runs, could you collect the output from usb_modeswitch and post it or PM it to me. Ours looks like this:
Code:

* usb_modeswitch: tool for controlling "flip flop" mode USB devices
 * Version 0.9.7beta (C) Josua Dietze 2009
 * Works with libusb 0.1.12 and probably other versions

Taking all parameters from the command line

DefaultVendor=0x19d2
DefaultProduct=0x2000
TargetVendor=0x19d2
TargetProduct=0x31
TargetClass=0x0
DetachStorageOnly=0
HuaweiMode=0
SierraMode=0
SonyMode=0
MessageEndpoint=0x1
MessageContent="55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000"
Interface=0x0

Success check enabled, settle time 9 seconds

Looking for target devices ...
 No devices in target mode or class found
Looking for default devices ...
 Found default devices (1)
Prepare switching, accessing device 005 on bus 005 ...
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver found ("usb-storage")
 OK, driver "usb-storage" detached
Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Trying to send the message to endpoint 0x01 ...
 Sending the message returned error -110. Trying to continue
Checking for mode switch after 9 seconds settling time ...
 Original device can still be accessed. Hmm.
 No new devices in target mode or class found

Mode switch seems to have failed. Bye!

Our frustration is due to not being able to find an explanation for the "error -110". So we keep trying things. Maybe you can help us out. Thanks in advance.
Richard
Ghostryder4u

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr 2009, 07:30    Post subject: I have failed  

Gm to you I hope your all well.

Ok I have failed in trying to understand puppy I can not get it to recognise my modem even though it lists it when looking at hardware pupdial just will not seach for my modem (yes it is connected) I blacklist and erase the driver for the onboard v92 modem which on restart which is a long winded process I have to turn off power and take out battery because it hangs at boot window?

pupdial insists on installing the software for the onboard modem because it can not find any other modem.

So I just do not know what else to do......... yes if I had time and no other plans I could learn about puppy and its pro's and con's but I dont so I am going to have to lay this to rest. I do wish you all the best in your efforts to get puppy up and running with the 3 g modems that are out there in comsumer land.

My respect and best wishes to you all.

G.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr 2009, 08:19    Post subject:  

If you want to eliminate your onboard V92 modem from the equation, why not just disable it in bios.
Kark

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr 2009, 09:18    Post subject: ZTE MF636 working  

Hi,

Thanks to you I finally managed to get online with my ZT MF636. Thank you!

I installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-9, usb_modeswitch, option_patched, hso and the patched ZTE storage thing.

I uncommented the first instance of ZTE 636 in the udev rules for onda/ZTE modems.

I plugged in, and I still wasn't seeing any modem, but then, after mounting the device that pops up (a CD, sr0 or sr1) and then ejecting it, the thing switches and everything works. It turns up as /dev/ttyUSB2 or dev/ttyUSB3 and is ready to connect.

On reboot it still works, but if I plug it in after boot up I have to go through this process again.

I still don't know if it is the option or the hso driver I'm using. Pupscan says option.

Could it be that it's the same modem as the 626? It's got the same values for vendor and product...

DefaultVendor=0x19d2
DefaultProduct=0x2000
TargetVendor=0x19d2
TargetProduct=0x31
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr 2009, 18:20    Post subject:  

Ghostryder4u,
Thanks for trying out the 3G wireless stuff. I am disappointed that it would not work for you, but your effort has just given me new insight into the problem!

Normally, modems all get detected at about the same time, followed by initialization scripts that choose which modem to use (if there are several). The priority is that USB modems are used instead of PCI or sound-card modems. But these hybrid devices throw us a curve, in that they do not initially appear as a modem, so lose out in the priority.

So, thank you very much for getting me to see that. Resolving it is yet another challenge.

Kark,
Yes, the MF636 and MF626's sharing the same IDs is suspicious. But doing the "eject" is very interesting. Currently, I suspect my modeswitch rules are running too soon after the start of driver loading, so are ineffective. Ejecting the CD is apparently an alternate way of causing the mode switch. My goal is to make usb_modeswitch do that for you.
Quote:
I uncommented the first instance of ZTE 636 in the udev rules for onda/ZTE modems.
The first instance is for use with kernels later than 2.6.25.16, so the rule did not work; the second instance is the correct one to use now..

The modem's use of ttyUSB2 or 3 concerns me, in that the init script assumes it's always ttyUSB0. I have yet to find a way to determine which device is actually the modem. What did you change to make that work - wvdial.conf or probing?

Thanks for revealing the "trick."
Richard
Kark

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 03:31    Post subject: eject ZTE mf636  

Hello again,

Interesting to hear that the switch doesn't work. I tried uncommenting the other line with ZTE MF636 too, but nothing happens.

I have experimented some more:

1) It takes some time before the CD icon appears, so it might be that the switcher tries to switch too soon.

2) After some time, I get another usb-icon as well

3) If I wait till the USB icon appears before unmountning the CD, I'll get USB0-USB3, but if I unmount the CD right away, I get USB0-USB2, I think .... and the modem is always the highest number. I'm not really a nerd Smile so I don't know how to find out these things. After the first time the thing switched, there has always been /dev/ttyUSB0-USB3 and sometimes number 2 works, sometimes number 3.

4) rebooting keeps the modem working, but only as long as it is constantly plugged in and live. Shutdown and then boot and the thing turns to a storage device again.
Kark

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 15:32    Post subject: ZTE MF636 permanent solution  

I've decided to go for a different solution. I found a recipe for disabling the automatic CDRUN thing, and now I just plug in, boot up, and the ZTE MF636 is seen as a modem, it uses option, and it works.

I quote:
"You can try the following steps:

1. on WinVista through control panel ADD the extra init command AT+ZCDRUN=8
2. try to connect once with the providers s/w (WinVista)
3. remove the above command through control panel (WinVista)

>>> IMPORTANT NOTE: After issuing the above command you can use the
modem for Windows and Ubuntu but you cannot install it to another Windows PC. To return the modem to its default condition you have to send AT+ZCDRUN=9 following steps 1,2 and 3.

All the above are needed bacause there is no Hyperterminal into WinVista. You could also use a serial communication terminal program and send the command AT+ZCDRUN=8 directly to the port (comX) assigned for the ZTE MF636."

I found it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7059589
shonkylogic

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr 2009, 09:49    Post subject:  

Hi there

I'm (very) new here, but would like to share my experiences connecting a Huawei E169 to the (Australian) Virgin Broadband mobile network, to save others going through the same issues I have faced.

Virgin in their wisdom require PAP authentication rather than CHAP. Therefore you must add the following line to the /etc/ppp/options file to disable CHAP

-chap

The other three changes I made to Puppy to get connected were
1) Add the option module to BootManager
2) Add the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001

3) install the usb_modeswitch and 3g_pupdial_wireless packages on the first page of this thread... (I used version 9) ... and restart.

The E169 device is recognised if it is plugged in at system startup. The micro-sd card (if you have one plugged in) is also available at /mnt/sdb

Editing /etc/wvdial.conf, set the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0.

Using the pupdialler, set the max speed to 460800, the number to *99# and and the APN field to "VirginBroadband". I just put 'PPP' in the user and password - I don't think this matters. I also use Stupid Mode, as it starts the PPP daemon immediately.

This configuration connected successfully and it all seems to work now as expected. Thanks very much for making the original packages available.

Last edited by shonkylogic on Sat 25 Apr 2009, 21:53; edited 1 time in total
Kark

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr 2009, 08:21    Post subject: ZTE MF636, strange connection problems  

Hi,

There are 2 strange things with the ZTE MF636

1) If I boot up with the modem connected, I'm unable to connect. It says option is loaded for ZTE MF636 and everything looks good (product ID and vendor is correct), but I can't connect

2) If I plug in after bootup the modem always attaches itself to /dev/ttyUSB3. Probing doesn't bring up anything, not in pupdial, nor in pgprs setup. I have to enter /dev/ttyUSB3. I can connect with the pgprs-connect, but the first connection gives me the wrong dns. The second connection and all subsequent connections are OK.

3) If I try Wvdial first, I don't get a connection on the first try, nor on the second. The message I get is: "voice line detected", but If I first run pgprs-connect once, then wvdial connects correctly afterwards, and I get the right dns.

It seems like pgprs-connect does some magic to the modem. Something that the wvdial don't do. Why do I have to do this after every bootup?

Anyone has any explanation?
dejan555

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr 2009, 01:38    Post subject:  

Hi guys, I see that these ZTE MF626 is the tricky one, well, that's the one I bought! Sad and now I need help running it.

I installed all of the patches (option, patched storage, etc.), uncommented what I should I think then rebooted, plugged in modem, ran modprobe, then fire up pupdial, it seems it's detected when I try probe button first it lists modem as /dev/ttyUSB1, when I test it it says that modem is present and responds, but when I fill my ISP data (couldn't be mistaken there!) and hit connect it disconnects when it reaches ATDT*99# dial command.

Also which options should I check from those listed (Carrier check, Dialtone check, Busy check, Stupid Mode?). I tried with pgprs-setup and connect wizard and it disconnects on same spot (why not using pgprs instead of pupdial as it has only wireless-related options to configure?) When it fails to connect modem isn't recognized after that anymore and I have to unplug it then plug it back in for it to work?

Sorry if post is little messy Laughing if I had to do something in different order or any idea what else could I try please post. Thanks.

EDIT: Kark's post from above for MF636 shows some similar issues, if I boot with device connected it doesn't show up, but if I plug it after it's recognized.

rerwin, could you possibly explain me how to setup this connection manually with least packages installed since I don't know what those modules and patched options do at bootup, can I just remove usb-storage with rmmod usb-storage then just probe MF626 with product id 0x31, will this give same result or I still need to have those patches?
This is how I connected huawei e220 on puppy 4.x.

Kark

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2009, 13:55    Post subject: usb_modeswitch ZTE 636  

Running usb_modeswitch with the ZTE636 (by uncommentning the second instance of ZTE636 in the udev rule) only detaches it from usb_storage. This makes it impossible to run the eject trick (ejecting the CD that shows up if you jut plug in and waits) since no CD will show up.

This means, so far, that the ZTE636 can be made usable only by:

either
1) disabling the CD autorun via hyperterminal in windows
or
2) ejecting the CD that turns up if you just plug in the modem

to dejan555: if the 626 is like the 636,maybe it could be useful to try to not uncomment anything( not run usb_modeswitch, and then try the eject method, and then try different ports (ttyUSB2? ttyUSB3?)
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2009, 16:04    Post subject:  

Kark,
When you run usb_modeswitch from a console, does it report an "error -110"? That is what Wilky sees with his MF626, along with a bunch of other messages, I assume error messages.

I am stumped at that point. You could also use the "-W" argument to get feedback on the device IDs in play.
Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Sat 02 May 2009, 14:50; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2009, 21:32    Post subject:  

Well Ubuntu Jaunty Puppy alpha6 is available, with rerwin's '-9' patches.

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00702

As this uses the 2.6.29.1 kernel, it may need some changes. Note alpha7 will have the 2.6.29.2 kernel, then hopefully we will stay with that for sometime.

Note, the 'pctel' module may load when it shouldn't and on certain hardware you may have to blacklist it. will fix for alpha7.

Kark

PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2009, 07:15    Post subject: ZTE 636  

The ZTE 636 also gives the -110 error when running usb_modeswitch in commandline
dejan555

PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2009, 07:47    Post subject:  

OK, like I said I installed those pets rerwin said patched usb-storage, option, usb_switch etc. and since ZTE626 doesn't show up as storage drive anymore so I can't do that eject tip. When I run usb_modeswitch it doesn't show that error, it says it found default device and when I look into /proc/bus/usb/devices it shows the right vendor and id.

So then I do modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031
Then I enter /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 manually in wvdial.conf 'cause pupdial doesn't recognize it and then I start wvdial from CLI. It shows that modem is initialized, all init lines show OK, and when it comes to ATDT dial command it disconnects. After that modem is not longer recognized as /dev/usb/ttyUSB1, little LED indicator on it switches off and I have to unplug it then plug it back in and do modeswitch again for it to be recognized. Crying or Very sad

Page 7 of 37 [543 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: