Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
egosumpaul

#161 Post by egosumpaul »

Solved at all. Many thanks!
Nwxt task us to calibrate the touchscreen...
Directions will be appreciated.
:D

tempestuous

#162 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT: I compiled the "nw8xx" webcam driver for webcams based on the DivIO NW800/NW801/NW802 chipsets,
such as the Trust/Logitech Spacecam 120 webcam.
But the source code is quite old, and apparently the driver won't work. Now removed.

tuxr99

#163 Post by tuxr99 »

tempestuous wrote:Broadcom wifi devices.
Puppy 4.1.x contains the new b43 and b43legacy opensource wifi drivers, plus the older bcm43xx driver.
But some Broadcom wifi devices, especially those found in Dell and HP notebooks, are notorious for failing to work with these drivers.
For these troublesome devices the proprietary Broadcom hybrid driver will likely work better. Now attached.
This dotpet package contains a suitably modified PREFLIST so that the new driver will be used in preference to the other versions.
Also the networkmodules and wag-profiles.sh config files have been modified to accommodate the new driver.
After installing this dotpet, reboot. Puppy should automatically load the new driver, which is called "wl". Check with lsmod. If necessary you can load the wl module from the Network Wizard.

Feb 11 2009:
Driver updated to version 5.10.27.14

The source code is from here
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
thank you very much for this. i had been trying in vain for hours to get my BCM43xG card to work. this did the trick. thanks again.

dwaine_dibbly

#164 Post by dwaine_dibbly »

thanks for that guys. :D

tempestuous

#165 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the zd1211rw wifi driver for Zydas chipsets, patched to support the TP-Link WN322/422G.
The patch is from
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=12 ... 904294&w=2

After installing this dotpet, reboot.

UPDATE May 26 2009:
The driver was originally located in the wrong directory. Now fixed and re-attached.
Attachments
zd1211rw-TPLink-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(23.02 KiB) Downloaded 1370 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 26 May 2009, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#166 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the pcnet_cs cardbus-ethernet driver, patched to fix a problem with recognition of the Netgear FA411 device.
The patch is from here
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-pcmci ... 02001.html

After installing this dotpet, reboot.
Attachments
pcnet_cs-FA411-k2.6.25.16.pet
for Puppy 4.1.x
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 901 times

Barburo

#167 Post by Barburo »

@tempestuous
I have HP tx1000 laptop. It has the broadcomm bcm43xx wifi chip.
Wireless works with the retro kernel.
I loaded regular Puppy 4.1.2 and tried to use the wl driver per your instructions.
Downloaded broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet
rebooted and B43 identifies wlan0 but won't connect.
Checked bootkernel.log and found these lines towars the end of the log:
forcedeth 0000:00:14.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1, addr 00:1b:24:18:21:b8
forcedeth 0000:00:14.0: highdma pwrctl timirq gbit lnktim desc-v3
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 18
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:10.1 -> Link [LAZA] -> GSI 18 (level, high) -> IRQ 18
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:10.1 to 64
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB 2.0 Camera (0c45:62c0)
input: USB 2.0 Camera as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb2/2-2/2-2.1/2-2.1:1.0/input/input10
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
wl: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
USB Video Class driver (SVN r238)
wl: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PM, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... cefirmware and download the latest firmware (version 4).
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... cefirmware and download the latest firmware (version 4).

It wants to load wl but it's "tainted" so falls back to B43xx driver, which gives the old warning messages about updating the firmware.
I tried that before but you've pointed out that it is futile.
Can you assist in any way so that I can get wireless working in 4.1.2?
Thanks,
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tempestuous

#168 Post by tempestuous »

Barburo wrote:It wants to load wl but it's "tainted" so falls back to B43xx driver
No, it's not possible to fall back to the b43 driver, because the wl dotpet installation configures Puppy to exclude the b43, b43legacy, and bcm43xx drivers in favour of the wl driver.

It seems that the old bcm43xx driver may be best for your device. So go to -
Menu >
System >
BootManager configure bootup >
Give preference to one module over another:

And set preferences so that the bcm43xx will be used instead of all the other Broadcom drivers, like this -

Code: Select all

wl:bcm43xx
b43:bcm43xx
b43legacy:bcm43xx
ssb:bcm43xx
Now reboot and check that the bcm43xx driver loads.
Unfortunately you may now get errors in your dmesg relating to firmware, because the firmware version in Puppy is correct for b43/legacy, not bcm43xx.
If so, install this -
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... rmware.pet

Barburo

#169 Post by Barburo »

@Tempestuous
Thanks for your swift reply.
I tried your recommendations,maade the changes in the preferences file, installed the ,pet and had the same result as before.
Looking at the quoted text in my previous post it first tries to load WL but complains it is tainted.
wl: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
I do not know what this means, but if a suitable WL driver that got around these "taint" objections was available I could perhaps get wireless again.
The next log lines are
b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PM, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
Is this the bcm43xx driver or the b43 driver?
I tried all of the available Broadcom drivers in the connect wizard and the only one to create a wlan0 interface was b43, but of course it doesn't have the correct firmware. WL came up as "not found"when I tried to load it.
Next line is
I looked in /lib/firmware after runnig your .pet and there is no b43 folder there.
I checked by looking inside the .pet that you recommended and it does not have that structure either, but loads files directly to the /lib/firmware folder.
I tried ndiswrapper too, but I got "invalid driver" when I pointed to the BCMWL5.inf file from XP.

Can you shed any further light on my predicament?

tempestuous

#170 Post by tempestuous »

"tainted" can simply mean that the driver is totally incompatible, and it cannot complete the load process.
Or it could mean that the driver was compiled under a different kernel ... I hope you're definitely using the official release of Puppy 4.20 ... not the unofficial SMP kernel?
Barburo wrote:I tried all of the available Broadcom drivers in the connect wizard and the only one to create a wlan0 interface was b43
Ah, that's a good start. You didn't mention this important information before.
I've been told that firmware fails to automatically decompress in Puppy 4.2 (groan, another problem with 4.2) so the error message about wrong firmware may, in fact, relate to absent firmware.
So let's get the firmware decompressed and ready. Do this -

cd /lib/modules/all-firmware
tar -zxvf b43.tar.gz
cp -a b43/* /
The correct firmware for the b43 driver should now be in /lib/firmware/b43
(the older bcm43xx firmware is located at /lib/firmware)

Now let's get your modules preference configuration back to the correct default state. Go to -
Menu >
System >
BootManager configure bootup >
Give preference to one module over another:

Here is the correct configuration -

bcm43xx:ssb
wl:ssb
Reboot and you should be ready to load the b43 driver in the Network Wizard.

Barburo

#171 Post by Barburo »

..accidental double post - deleted
Last edited by Barburo on Tue 19 May 2009, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

Barburo

#172 Post by Barburo »

Thanks Tempestuous for pointing me in the right direction.
I got connected in 4.1.2 (that's the 2.6.26. kernel I believe) as soon as I copied the B43 library to firmware.
I tried the same B43 lib with the 2.6.28 SMP kernel that unnamed pup and Lighthouse RC2 are using but it failed (only just though). As you pointed out
... I hope you're definitely using the official release of Puppy 4.20 ... not the unofficial SMP kernel?
the B43 firmware probably needs compiling against that kernel for wireless to work on my tx1000.

I visited the Broadcom website and read their instructions.
I find the "make" command doesn't work on my puppies (--> because it probably needs a development environment?).
Any information about how I can proceed to get these B43 libraries compiled for 2.6.28 ?
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tempestuous

#173 Post by tempestuous »

Barburo wrote:I got connected in 4.1.2
Great. That confirms that the b43 driver works ...
but clearly some or all of the Puppy 4.1/4.2 versions fail to decompress the b43 firmware as they should.
Barburo wrote:I got connected in 4.1.2 (that's the 2.6.26. kernel I believe)
No. Like all official 4.1 and 4.2 releases it has kernel 2.6.25.16.
Barburo wrote:the B43 firmware probably needs compiling against that kernel for wireless to work on my tx1000.
No. firmware is just a binary chunk of code.
If the b43 driver undergoes any significant change in the future then yes, updated firmware will likely be required. But the latest version of b43 firmware is compatible with all kernels from 2.6.25 to the latest 2.6.29. And this is what Puppy includes. It's from
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... cefirmware

When you copy the firmware from Puppy 4.2 across to BoxPup make sure you locate it at /lib/firmware/b43

My concerns about kernel version related only to the proprietary wl Broadcom driver, since I compiled this driver specifically for k2.6.25.16, non-SMP. This driver has its firmware built-in.
DON'T attempt to obtain firmware from the Broadcom site. Broadcom do not provide the opensource b43 driver, and their firmware should only be used after the b43 developers have tested it.

Barburo

#174 Post by Barburo »

@Tempestuous
Thanks for your patience and commitment to helping us Puppy users
After spending many hours in fruitless experimentation I can now get wifi connected in 4.1.2 plus later variants.

When I can't get things to work it's usually operator error, or some other dumb mistake. This time all that was needed to make the Broadcom chip work in my HP Tx1000 was the correct set of b43 firmware files which you pointed me at.

In the end this source for b43_patch.tar.gz http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=17806 provided b43 firmware that worked for the SMP 2.6.28 kernel Puplets and allowed me to get connected.

This source for b43.zip http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=18072 worked OK for regular 4.1.2 but reported a corrupted firmware file b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw on other puplets.

I hope this may help others with a similar problem.

Thanks again!
B.

evgeniy

watchdog drivers

#175 Post by evgeniy »

Hello
I use Puppy 4.1.2 (barebone) on computer with hardware watchdog which I have to use (for some project). Computer is based on intel 915 chipset and probably iTCO_wdt driver should work. I had also Ubuntu 9.04 installed on another computer and it has /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/kernel/drivers/watchdog directory with all drivers, but on Puppy there is no even softdog driver... Is there any way to add these drivers to Puppy?
Thank you in advance.

tempestuous

#176 Post by tempestuous »

evgeniy wrote:hardware watchdog ...
Is there any way to add these drivers to Puppy?
No, not easily. The Puppy 4.1.x kernel (2.6.25.16) does not have "Watchdog Timer Support" enabled.

evgeniy

#177 Post by evgeniy »

tempestuous wrote:
evgeniy wrote:hardware watchdog ...
Is there any way to add these drivers to Puppy?
No, not easily. The Puppy 4.1.x kernel (2.6.25.16) does not have "Watchdog Timer Support" enabled.
Is it possible to do by recompiling kernel from kernel-src-2.6.25.16-patched-puppy4.1.sfs?

tempestuous

#178 Post by tempestuous »

Sure.
Make sure you start with the correct kernel configuration - it's at /etc/modules/DOTconfig-K2.6.25.16
Copy it across to /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.16 and rename it ".config"

Also you must install lzma-458.pet from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-4/
otherwise the last stage of the kernel image build will fail.

evgeniy

#179 Post by evgeniy »

tempestuous wrote:Sure.
Make sure you start with the correct kernel configuration - it's at /etc/modules/DOTconfig-K2.6.25.16
Copy it across to /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.16 and rename it ".config"

Also you must install lzma-458.pet from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ackages-4/
otherwise the last stage of the kernel image build will fail.
Thanks!
And last question.
Should I use default sequence after copying config file:

#make menuconfig
#make bzImage
#make modules
#make install
#make modules_install
Or there is something special for Puppy?

tempestuous

#180 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, but of course there are other steps, too. When you run "make menuconfig" you are presented with the kernel configuration as defined by the Puppy configuration file. Obviously you need to change this configuration, specifically at -

Device Drivers > Watchdog Timer Support > Intel TCO Timer/Watchdog

After "make bzImage" you will need to rename the new kernel image "vmlinuz", and boot to this new kernel instead of the existing one.

Since this new kernel will be very similar to the existing kernel (just one extra feature enabled) you could probably get away with not compiling all the modules ... but of course, you still need to generate the iTCO_wdt module, so you will need to do the whole "make modules" process just for this module.