No
87%

Total votes: 75

Aitch

#161 Post by Aitch »

The flight path of morale!

Anyone feel like locking this thread?

It's way too personal!!

And posting visible expletives, - please.....

LOCK IT!! REMOVE IT > Whatever.....

Aitch :(
Attachments
freefall.gif
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 855 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#162 Post by Béèm »

ttuuxxx wrote:- Whodo found a fix so now you can hit the insert key and it doesn't crash.
There is a saying, I can't remember in English the exact wording, but something like: Give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar.Well before the 4.2 Pizzasgood had developed a working fix already. See, which I applied then to satisfaction.
Maybe WhoDo did talk to Pizzasgood to include the fix.
This doesn't take back the good work WhoDo did, but as memory of people is short sometimes, I wanted to point this out. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Artie

#163 Post by Artie »

I think this thread should be removed too.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt . -- George Eliot
I think too many have opened their mouth too often in this thread.

Artie

nancy reagan

Isn't the webmaster threatened fot not closing this topic ?

#164 Post by nancy reagan »

Isn't the webmaster threatened fot not closing this topic ?

ComputerBob

#165 Post by ComputerBob »

trio wrote:Mods, can you just remove this thread already?...I'm sure Whodo won't mind....before it scares away puppy newbees seeing this thread
I suspect that it's a little late to prevent that from happening. I LOVE using Puppy on old PCs that I recycle for a charity, but when I see the puppy gnawing off its own tail, I worry about its future and start taking another look at other options.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

mysticmarks

coordination

#166 Post by mysticmarks »

Im disgusted. I can not believe this thread was even started. I think you boys should sit back and listen to yourselves.
I think you need to take a different approach to this. Lets not talk about 'official' releases. i think that many releases have been wonderful.

If its bothering you boys that bad not being in charge. Why not have a community contest to plan and coordinate.

Anyone that wants to head up the 'official' should submit art, package, and help required to the community.Then we can all vote on what looks like the majority of puppians are looking for.

The top 2 votes would be the official release, and the other slated as unofficial option B(but NOT the CE). The CE should only happen when the community has reached concensus on near everything. I loved watching 2.15ce come together, and the vib amongst the group was more friendly and productive than this one has been.

We dont HAVE to be the top dog, BUT we are the coolest, so lets all behave that way. This isn't about you, or him, or me; this is about us as a group fighting 'THE MAN'. That is the root of open source. Come on guys, how about some apologies, and that puppy team spirit again?

Edit: As a matter of fact, i think this would be a lot of fun. We have many gifted artists, and hackers. I think a faceoff for each release would be an exciting way for puppy to grow.(I bet it will be far more fun too.) :)

trapster

#167 Post by trapster »

ComputerBob wrote:
trio wrote:Mods, can you just remove this thread already?...I'm sure Whodo won't mind....before it scares away puppy newbees seeing this thread
I suspect that it's a little late to prevent that from happening. I LOVE using Puppy on old PCs that I recycle for a charity, but when I see the puppy gnawing off its own tail, I worry about its future and start taking another look at other options.
I resent that....
My Corgis don't have tails... :)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

ttuuxxx

#168 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:This is exactly what Im talking about Ttuxxx.

Someone reports a bug to you, its their fault, or its a "feature" not a bug, or theres a "workaround".

You then go into a long tirade justifying yourself, and tell everybody how much work you put in, and how you did it for free, and how difficult it was. You then go on and say "well your a newb" or "your so ungrateful". Why be on the defensive? Why deny there is a problem? If not having the .1 update makes it less secure than internet explorer (which most people still use) then why bother warning them? Security is a relative thing.

Im not saying there isnt a place for seamonkey (for a livecd or really low spec machine), but all my clients use Firefox/Ecofox, because it has all of the "software needed for day-to-day use", i.e. Java for facebook and ebay, Mcaffee Phishing, zoom for users with poor eyesight, predefined bookmarks etc. You even once suggested taking the flashplayer out of puppy!!!

Whatever Ttuxxx, I talk to lot of Windows computer professionals (at schools, hospitals, computer shops, business IT managers etc), and you personally more than anyone Ive met on here epitomize everything they say is stopping them switching to Linux ("Its your problem newb", "fix it yourself", "its someone elses fault", "you should know that you idiot", "what do you need THAT for", "what are you complaining about its free" kinds of attitude) that only serves to keep most of the world locked into expensive/wasteful/buggy/insecure OS's like Windows.

Thankfully I live in a different timezone, and I have an important request to make for someone, so I must wish you goodnight Ttuxxx.

all i have to say to that is "blaaa blaaa blaaa"
also such a dramatic title to a image title, seamonkey-fail.jpg when its actually working the way its suppose to, When 4.2 was released it was the latest stable version of Seamonkey, and since then The people at mozilla have updated Seamonkey again, So how is Seamonkey actually failed ? Its telling you theres a newer 4MB+ compressed larger version without any nice theme or monkey menus waiting for you to download and install, Its working 100% perfect, butthead. lol I was going to release a fix to remove that little notice but since its actually a security warning and most of all it really bugs you a lot since you've mentioned it like 5 times in different places on the forum, I'm not going to fix/hack it for you, I would sleep better at night knowing its really bugging you a lot :)
maybe if you weren't such a jerk, people would do things for you. Oh well learn to read code and supply a fix yourself, lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#169 Post by Lobster »

Come on guys, how about some apologies
Well I am certainly sorry.
Warren has kindly sent me a PM and seems to be calming down.
I believe this is because of the OZ compulsory beer quota . . . :)

The most taxing part of development is communication.
Believe it or not that is a part of development too
- there is even a programming dialect 'Neuro Linguistic Programming'

One of the most important lessons in NLP states that
'communication is in the response it illicits'

In other words if people have become disgusted - you have communicated disgust
If they become angry - you have communicated anger
if they feel threatened - you have communicated threat
. . . and so on

Effective communication means allowing the other person to
hear what you wish to say, in a way that provides the understanding you wish for.

So for example most of us would like the Puppy forum to be pleasant place. We would like Puppy to be succesful and so on.

How do we encourage those positive elements within our communication?

Again there is a technique called reframing.
At its most basic, we ignore the negative and allow the other person ways to be helpful.

eg..
Puppy1: You are a &*^%$
Puppy2: Quite possibly. What do you feel are my positive points? Can we work towards [Puppy goal] if I work on those positive traits?

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ecomoney

#170 Post by ecomoney »

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00671/

Who can...does, who wouldnt.......didnt.

The problem has now been sorted out, the "severity" of the bugs and puppies "bugfix release schedule" clarified for the future, by the person who has done more for Puppy than anyone and really deserves our gratitude, respect and support.

It really didint need to come to all this....it will slow Puppy 5 development, but at least there will be a stable/bugfixed 4.2.1 while the inevitable early problems in puppy 5 are worked out. This is what puppy's "linux newb" audience need for it to maintain its popularity.....and there really are more linux newbs than ever right now (thankfully). They need Puppy to start them down the path.

In the meantime newbies, if you have a problem, or youve found a bug, report it. If it doesnt get fixed, and you cant fix it yourself - DONT BE AFRAID TO SHOUT ABOUT IT!!!! It will get sorted, and everyone will benefit. This is the way of open source.

Ive started a project that will get BarryK some money towards solving his internet problems, so he will be able to keep an eye on us kids in future!

P.S. arnt "terrorists" also known as "freedom fighters" by their own side? :lol: 8)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#171 Post by Béèm »

ecomoney wrote:DONT BE AFRAID TO SHOUT ABOUT IT!!!!
That again is a negative attitude.
You don't shout at people who are offering their free time and maybe family life.
I told you before, get a course in communication skills.
You will gain nothing in shouting and you did the experience.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Kal

#172 Post by Kal »

I have been using Puppy for a long time (pre-Puppy one) and have tried just about all the official releases. I have normally upgraded to the newer one. I am pretty sure, that at one time Barry wrote, that a distros by committee are generally no good, that may not be true, but there is some truth to having an executive branch to governments and committees.

My overall grade for Puppy 4.2 is a "B grade". The very best I have ever given Puppy is a B+, even under Barry. Most distros fall into the C grades or worse, with only a very few getting an A-, but, they are boring to me. There is something called flavor, that comes into play. WhoDo's flavor may not be dead on for me, but it is close enough for government work and I can still modify it to my own likings, which is most important of all.

Changing from a dictatorship to a democracy doesn't happen over night without some turmoil.

Please, WhoDo don't step down now, we need you to carry on with the job at hand and to get thick skinned. Don't quit for a few discords. I think the voting numbers will and have shown this. You certainly are the right man for the job. If the President of the U.S had those kind of numbers he'd be dancing for joy.

Hell, BarryK was told one time, that he didn't know anything about Puppy and should stay off the forum with his answers.

Kal

Aitch

#173 Post by Aitch »

Fresh from Barry's Blog
BarryK on 21st April 09 wrote:Puppy 4.2.1?
Yesterday I received a p.m. from WhoDo, announcing his retirement. He didn't really state why, just that he was "threatened" and it wasn't fun any more. I have had extremely limited Internet access recently, and was unaware of the trouble brewing, but after the p.m. I looked in the forum and found this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41337

The thread had been running for just 3 days and already was 8 pages long. Today it is 11 pages.

I have only read the first and the last page. I really don't want to get drawn into who said what to whom, who failed to do something, etc., etc.

As I understand it, there are two main problems with 4.2 (I only gleaned this from some brief forum reading), printing is a bit wonky, and Abiword fonts are wrong. Anything else major?

The next question is, have fixes been worked out? If so, forward fixed PET packages to me and I'll do a release-candidate build of 4.2.1 for testing.

Or, is there any consensus about who could coordinate 4.2.1?

If the fixes for 4.2.1 are straightforward, then ok I can do the build and upload it for testing. But, I don't want to get involved in a long series of alphas and betas.
With previous puppies, we created a bugfix release with little delay, basically just uploaded it for testing, then the final soon after.
i.e. Get Puppy sorted - the heck with the squabbles

Seems clear to me!

Thanks, Barry!

Aitch :)

pengel

#174 Post by pengel »

Stay away for a few days....

I guess it's true what they say about open source development: Like herding cats. :) Personally I think everyone has done a pretty good job on Puppy 4.2. Sure there's a few problems, but, what the heck, the price is right. There's nothing that can't get fixed and it's not like anybody is getting paid. I think we should just all step back and look at the amazing progress Puppy has made since the days of yore, I've been using it since 0.4 or 0.5 and it generally just keeps getting better.

Keep a cool head and think before you post.

my .02

Mike

Pizzasgood

#175 Post by Pizzasgood »

When I left the forum to focus on school for two days, I honestly thought we were going to start acting like adults again.

Obviously I was mistaken.

I think we're cooling off now, but just to make sure nobody comes by and kicks up the coals, I'm locking this. (I'm sorry I didn't make it back sooner. I stayed up all night doing homework. Some of us have more important things to do than play in the mud.)

No, I won't delete it. Sweeping people's filth under the rug solves nothing. Let it stay in the open where people can maybe become ashamed of it someday.

If it scares away new users, tough. If this is how we're going to act from now on, then they deserve to know what they're getting into.

Grow up.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]