pupeee 4.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
luther349

#41 Post by luther349 »

well thats up to you. i do believe theirs a patch to make wpa work. being i do not use wpa i did not test it. i do believe is you use a shorter key for wpa it does work i think its just the long keys it does not support. entering the long key threw iwconfig might do the trick.

poopDog

happy with puppeee

#42 Post by poopDog »

A quick pass shows it works on my 2GB surf (700 model) eee. Wireless works. Card reader works. Sound works without running configuration utility.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this project :)

-Zenko

luther349

#43 Post by luther349 »

well thanks goes to alot of people. i simply combine all there work into 1 iso. to save eee users the trouble of hunting it all down.

as for the wifi issues unfortunately its just the limits of the linux drivers. the only way to get full wifi on any distro is to use nds. witch puppy has issues with.

tempestuous

#44 Post by tempestuous »

luther349 wrote:eeepc 1000ha wifi uses diffrent drivers madwifi does not see it correctly.
No, that shouldn't be the case. The Eee 1000HA definitely has the Atheros AR5007EG chipset, and this will definitely be supported by the "hal-0.10.5.6" variant of the MADWiFi driver, confirmed by forum member Dpup here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 537#246537
Carlomag wrote:pupeee 4.2 is well working on my old eeepc 701, but does'n catch the right wi-fi card on my new 1000he.
luther349 wrote:for the 1000he owner they use a newer wifi chipset.
Yes, the 1000HE uses a very new Atheros N-mode chipset, which is not supported by the 2.6.25.16 kernel in Puppy 4.1/4.2.
luther349 wrote:if you look in the forum link i have with the pets i used someone has posted a driver for that model eeepc.
No, I think you're confusing models. It's not possible to provide a compatible driver for that chipset with the current Puppy kernel ...
but it is possible to support that wifi chipset with a newer kernel, as I just reported here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41204

luther349

#45 Post by luther349 »

some bad news. my dog chewed my power cord. so for now this will be the only release i do until i order a new cord. lucky i just landed a new job. nothing pisses you off more then finding a destroyed cord that's not easy to replace.

Dpup

pupeee 4.2 wifi WPA2 TKIP

#46 Post by Dpup »

Tested pupeee4.2 on two ASUS eee 701 4G, and a 1000HA, all work great, wifi to secure DLink WPA2 TKIP detects and connects fine on all three computers, all will auto reconnect on boot. every time. Flash video, and audio works fine.

This message is being input from my ASUS eee 701 4G with pupeee4.2 on a USB flash drive. Another interesting note is that I plugged the eee 701 into a USB keyboard and mouse adapter and into a 8 channel KVM switch and large screen monitor for this message. The all work great out of the box too !!!

Dpup

luther349

#47 Post by luther349 »

good to hear. i found a new cord for like 10 bucks. once i get a check and open a new bank account ill order it.

froggie

#48 Post by froggie »

Can this also be installed to be booted from an USB drive?
If so, could someone explain the process of how to do it?
Thanks,
froggie

Merlin351

pupeee 4.2

#49 Post by Merlin351 »

Hi all, i had a bit of trouble getting to reply to a particular thread but here goes. I had some issues trying to connect to wifi but the following seems to work every time and now it seems pupeee has saved the instructions set and works every time in Australia without having to go through the scan and log procedure each time:

1. Network wizard.
2. select ath0.
3. scan.
4. select wpa/tkip
5. enter the name of your wifi (profile name and ESSID).
enter the passkey.
6. then save.
7. use this profile (which will then try and connect to your wifi net).
8. If you get a successful connect msg and are using DHCP then select DHCP and it will then attempt to config DHCP. If successfull it will ask if you want to save it for future sessions.
9. it will take a few seconds then select done.

This may be old hat for some but for me it took some time as it is not intuitive and it now woks every time for me.

luther349

#50 Post by luther349 »

you can use the universal installer to install it to the usb drive. or you can send the iso to the usb drive with unetbootin.

as i said the puppy network manager works just fine.

Bonster

#51 Post by Bonster »

Pupeee 4.2
Anyone with the EEE 701 4g (non surf) got the double tap to work on there touchpad?
I can move mouse and scroll and everything but double tap is not working.

Was working fine in pupeee 301 older version.

Any help? thanks

luther349

#52 Post by luther349 »

if i rember the 701 did not have a multitouch pad.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#53 Post by Lobster »

This may be old hat for some but for me it took some time as it is not intuitive and it now woks every time for me.
Many thanks to you, Luther and Pupeee 4.2
and all the guys involved
Luther did you provide a second updated Pupeee 4.2?
I have Puppy 4.2 on my eeepc connected to the web
First time since Tigerpup

The trick may be even though I have wpa2
use the wpa option described

The USB keydrive will be going to a friend of a friend
in Ireland - but I will be creating another (USB drive and friend of Puppy)

Thanks once again :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dpup

Pupeee 4.2

#54 Post by Dpup »

Am curious about what others have experienced using Pupeee 4.2 or other recent releases on the ASUS eee PC with wireless WPA2 TKIP and WPA2 AES security.

My experience with Dlink and Airlink wireless routers is that it is consistently connecting and reconnects on boot just fine with Pupeee 4.2 as well as previous release 4.1.2. However, did notice that I had to install the Netwizard of Apr 1st to detect the Airlink wireless router. Several of my other USB wifi adapters will not work with WPA2 AES but does work with WPA2 TKIP..

Dpup

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#55 Post by Lobster »

I want to transfer from USB thumb drive to SD card
Which option do I select for this?
I think Barry produced some notes on this for the Classmate netbook, a while ago - not for Pupeee specifically

Anyone done this / able to advise?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dpup

Puppy USB boot

#56 Post by Dpup »

Note to Lobster and others about Puppy USB boot Transfers between flash media.

I have three ASUS eee PC's. Run them from USB pen drives, USB SD cards, 2,4,8, and 16 GB... and copy bootable Puppy between them with no problems... Am aware of the ASUS eee 4G not working well with SD cards over 2GB... so I plug in a USB SD card reader such as the free bonus bundle a tiny SanDisk SDDR 113, a SD/SDHC USB Micromate. Puppy universal installer with the default options creates bootable USB SD cards with this reader fine, also works fine on a similar free USB SD card adapter from A-Data.

Noticed that if you do not erase the "hidden" Linux loader file on any USB flash media of working version since 3.01, and just erase the other contents, you can then write Puppy files from any newer version, and it boots fine on USB flash drive, or SD media fine, or move files or whole bootable Puppy between the different types of media, and it boots fine.

Have also been successful at cloning handfulls of Puppy bootable USB flash media, or SD cards, or between USB flash drive and SD cards using a flash media bit copier, such as the one in Flash Memory Tookit, or the free Drive Image XML running Windows, as long as the target media is same size or bigger (this works great when you buy a bag of USB flash media). But you do need to make the media bootable, as described in the Puppy docs, or with an external free tool such as BootFlashDOS. These install the MBR and sets the boot flag.

Hopes this helps.

Dpup

luther349

#57 Post by luther349 »

well good luck with pupeee 4.2 im losing my net for a wile. of course anyone is welcome to make another wile im offline. im having a huge stroke of bad luck. dog eats power cord surprise eviction with no warning. and 2 jobs dick me around. where im going theirs not even any wifi to leech off.

paulski

#58 Post by paulski »

Has anyone got a MD5SUM result for luther349's iso on page one of this thread? I can't be sure if my download went okay.

Mthed

#59 Post by Mthed »

Hello

I tried installing puppeee for my eee pc 701 but after the install is done and i reboot, all i get is a grub prompt. I used the full install method and there were no error messages and the install went fine. What should i do?

T_B

#60 Post by T_B »

Hi Luther, thanks for Pupeee 4.2

It works pretty good and fast. Booting time from my USB key takes a while (couple of minutes) but that is probably due to the speed of my USB key.

The current version of gxine has a problem with subtitles. That makes it pretty useless for a lot of non-english users. Fortunately mplayershell is easy to install, but I prefer xine. Mplayer just feels a lot less stable and often gives me problems after using it for a while.

Everything else just seems to work on my 701. Great job!