Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
seadog

Huawei E220

#81 Post by seadog »

Hi Guys,
I saw the work you are doing and maybe this will help.
My pc is a Samsung NC10 running the Acer-puppy-4.10-27.iso. This incidently is the only Puppy which gives me auto detected wifi. The Acer failed so changed to the Samsung.
A 3G connection would be very handy, so bought a Huawei E220 modem with a T-Mobile package. According to the Wiki, it will work under a Linux system. I am assuming the more modern modem 'sticks' will also work. The E220 is the older type often known as the 'soap on a rope' modem.
The next thing is to download the '3G-pupdial-wireles-7.pet' and the 'usb-modeswitch-0[1].9.6.pet', both availible from this forum. Install both of these and you are ready to go.
Now plug in the modem. If it flashes, it is working ok. (I am assuming that the sim card etc has been done in the store you bought it from), then reboot the machine.
The modem should be reconised now, and to show it has, hit the 'connect' icon on your desktop, then choose 'Internet by dialup modem'. Use this application to probe for modems and watch the 'connection status log'. If all is well you will see that the modem is reconised as a Huawei at ttyUSB0. You may now close that application.
Next, once more hit the 'connect' icon and choose the 'Internet by wireless GPRS modem'. In the 'Serial Modem Device' box, change the wording to '/dev/USBO'. For 'Username' I have 'user' (it does not seem to matter) and the same for 'Password' i.e. 'pass'. You could leave these two items at their defaults if you wished. For 'Phone Number' I used '*99#' and the 'Pin' should be '1210' which seems again is a default value for sim cards.
The APN box is for the name of the service provider. For T-Mobile it must be 'general.t-mobile.uk'. This took me a while to figure out and only did it by first running my modem on a friend's XUbuntu set up. Doing that and going to the 'edit connection' box, showed me this. Just putting in 't-mobile' does not work.
Right, the last step is now to go to the main desktop menue and choose 'Network' - 'PGPRS Connect' application. This will open an X window and you will see the computer talk to the modem and the connection set up. Now you are on line. The modem lights will now change from flashing to steady. To log off, just type 'CTRL C' and you will see the modem shut down. Neat, yes!
It really is so simple. No scripts to change, nothing to hack. It does show how well thought out and well put together Puppy is. Bigger is not always better. It connects faster with lower signal strength than XUbuntu and JWM does not crash like the Window manager in the latter.
Last point. If you connect the modem after the computer has booted, then just probe with the dial-up application once more, so that it is reconised. Also, the colour showing on the modem gives the speed avalible, due to signal quality. Blue is best, but if green it will still work, but slow.

I did follow the threads on this subject on the forum here, and did a lot of 'googling' also. It left me totally confused which is why I have posted this, which may help others in the same position. The APN question was the one that had me head scratching, so perhaps for other operators like 'Virgin' the APN may not be what seems obvious.
Good luck and hope this is of some help to someone.

Just it passing, I have tried this with a new install and the standard 412 Puppy but it does not work. Therefore use the iso mentioned earlier if you are working with a laptop. Incidently, the wifi does not work when running 412 either, but ok with the AAO 410 iso.

planegoofy

Verizon UM175 USB Modem in US works

#82 Post by planegoofy »

rerwin,

First of all, thanks for all the hard and excellent work on making this work so well!!! I needed to get the above verizon wireless modem to work with my laptop w/o Windows. Verizon is an EVDO 3G network and needed a few different settings in pupdial. I have attached a screen shot showing the settings I used to connect. The phone number is the standard number for Verizon regardless of modem (I think).

Here is the file showing the modem type and model and vendor codes:

Code: Select all

usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic0a_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_icff_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic02_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v1d6b_p0001_d0206_dc09_ic09_Linux 2.6.25.16 uhci_hcd_UHCI Host Controller_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic0a_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_icff_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic02_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
tty_ttyACM0
usb_v1d6b_p0001_d0206_dc09_ic09_Linux 2.6.25.16 uhci_hcd_UHCI Host Controller_
Thanks again and add one more to the list of working modems.

p.s. I installed the pupdial, modeswitch and option driver but I don't think the option driver is needed for this modem.

Jeff
Attachments
VerizonEVDOSettings.png
pupdial settings for verizon edvo 3g network
(50.07 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

rerwin

3G-PupDial...-9 removes obstacle to mode switching

#83 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded (to the start of this thread) version 9 of the 3G-Pupdial dotpet. It corrects a bug that prevents the appropriate udev rules from being used. The logic came from the rules for the hso driver, but was incorrect. Now, all the rules files that contain dual sets of rules, to support future kernels, have the correction. There may still be other problems with mode switching; but this is one step toward success.

Planegoofy, thanks for your report of success. Fortunately, your modem is not affected by the mode-switching issues. I am pleased to know it works, because it is of a different type (ACM) than I have been dealing with.
Richard

planegoofy

#84 Post by planegoofy »

Planegoofy, thanks for your report of success. Fortunately, your modem is not affected by the mode-switching issues. I am pleased to know it works, because it is of a different type (ACM) than I have been dealing with.
rerwin,

FWIW, I am using a fresh install of 4.2 and it didn't recognoze the modem without the installation of your pets. I know others had success w/o but I didn't see it till after the new pupdial etc.

Thanks again for such hard work in this area!!!

Jeff

rerwin

ZTE MF626 and ZTE MF628 problem

#85 Post by rerwin »

To all using the ZTE MF626 and ZTE MF628 modems,
Although these modems are now supported by tempestuous' patched option driver, they are still not being detected. The reason seems to be that their storage parts, which have a different product ID, are not first detected by the usb-storage driver. Apparently, the storage part must be detected before the mode switch can be effective, to change the ID for the option driver to detect.

To address this, I have sent a PM to tempestuous, requesting his help, to make a patched usb-storage.

This was discovered in my work with Wilky and his modem.
Richard

UPDATE 4/8/09: This problem and both patched modules also apply to these ZTE/Onda modems: MF620, MF622, MF636, MF638, MT503HS, and MT505UP. Remember: be sure to select and uncomment the appropriate mode-switch udev rule for your particular modem in the file: /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb-modeswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules.
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.

tempestuous

#86 Post by tempestuous »

Patched usb-storage module available for testing here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#254448

muggins

#87 Post by muggins »

@Tempestuous & @Rerwin,

using the latest patched option model my ZTE MF626 still isn't being detected by pupdial...tricky beast indeed!

tempestuous

#88 Post by tempestuous »

Did you install the patched usb-storage module?
And did you modify "51-usb_modemswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules" as rerwin explained?

For your ZTE MF626 you should uncomment line 19.
Reboot.

If that doesn't work, comment out line 19 again, and uncomment line 62, which uses the old syntax.
Reboot.

rerwin

Corrections to Hso initialization script

#89 Post by rerwin »

The modem initialization script for modems using the hso driver contains some typos that prevent it from executing correctly and preventing the modem from being detected. The fix is simple:

1. Edit (Open As Text) the file, /etc/init.d/Hso

2. On line 6, change the end of the line:
[02]$'"
to:
[0-3]$'`"
(That is dollar, apostrophe, back-tick, quotation mark.)

3. On line 7, change the beginning of the line:
[ "MODEM"
to:
[ "$MODEM"

Do this after booting with the modem plugged in or after the driver has been loaded previously. If you do not see that file, you probably do not have a modem requiring it.
Richard

dc740

#90 Post by dc740 »

Hi, I found this forums searching for tweaks to tune up my connection on Ubuntu. It seems to me (I only read the last page of this post) that some of you are having troubles to make the MF626 modem work.
As a workaround to get internet, I use wvdial (this modem also works on NetworkManger on Ubuntu, but I do like wvdial since I can set the init strings that I want)

I'm using usb_modeswitch Version 0.9.7beta.
And this is what I did to make it work
My /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf looks like this:

########################################################
# ZTE MF628+ (tested version from Telia / Sweden)
# ZTE MF626
#
# Contributor: Joakim Wennergren

DefaultVendor=  0x19d2
DefaultProduct= 0x2000

TargetVendor=   0x19d2
TargetProduct=  0x0031

MessageEndpoint=0x01
MessageContent="55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000"

# if that command doesn't work, try the other ("eject")
MessageContent="5553424312345678000000000000061b000000030000000000000000000000"
/etc/wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 S10=200 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","gprs.claro.com.ar"
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 921600
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB2
ISDN = off
Phone = ##############
Password = ############
Username = #############
Stupid Mode = on
to the purpose of the post. This is my connect.sh script which I run everytime I boot my computer:
#!/bin/sh
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031

echo "Initializing modem. Please wait..."
sleep 60
echo "Done. Connecting..."
sudo wvdial &
with the above configuration to make usb_modeswitch work, that's all I have to do to connect to internet. Anyway it would be great to make it automatic... It's not very useful, as many other users had make it work before. But it may help if you want to make it automatic as you said on the first post. Even with NetworkManager on Ubuntu I ahve to run the first two commands each time I boot, and it's not nice. Adding it to the init scripts is not a nice workaround either.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope this post helps someone =)

rerwin

#91 Post by rerwin »

dc740,
Thanks for posting how you get the MF626 to run in Ubuntu. You show that it is possible. Wilky and I are stuck in trying to make usb_modeswitch work, and suspect our problem is with timing. Until now, usb_modeswitch seems to run before the modem is ready to understand the mode-switch command.

Besides timing, we use the argument form of invoking usb_modeswitch, instead of the configuration file. Could you verify that our translation of the configuration entry into arguments has not introduced any surprises? To do that, replace the line in your script:
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
with (all in one line):

sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -v 0x19d2 -p 0x2000 -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0031 -m 0x01 -M 55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000 -s 9
In a separate run try the alternate message content:

sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -v 0x19d2 -p 0x2000 -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0031 -m 0x01 -M 5553424312345678000000000000061b000000030000000000000000000000 -s 9
You should not have to do both, although it appears that you do, since both are uncommented in your configuration entry.

For each of your runs, could you collect the output from usb_modeswitch and post it or PM it to me. Ours looks like this:

* usb_modeswitch: tool for controlling "flip flop" mode USB devices
 * Version 0.9.7beta (C) Josua Dietze 2009
 * Works with libusb 0.1.12 and probably other versions

Taking all parameters from the command line

DefaultVendor=0x19d2
DefaultProduct=0x2000
TargetVendor=0x19d2
TargetProduct=0x31
TargetClass=0x0
DetachStorageOnly=0
HuaweiMode=0
SierraMode=0
SonyMode=0
MessageEndpoint=0x1
MessageContent="55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000"
Interface=0x0

Success check enabled, settle time 9 seconds

Looking for target devices ...
 No devices in target mode or class found
Looking for default devices ...
 Found default devices (1)
Prepare switching, accessing device 005 on bus 005 ...
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver found ("usb-storage")
 OK, driver "usb-storage" detached
Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Trying to send the message to endpoint 0x01 ...
 Sending the message returned error -110. Trying to continue
Checking for mode switch after 9 seconds settling time ...
 Original device can still be accessed. Hmm.
 No new devices in target mode or class found

Mode switch seems to have failed. Bye!
Our frustration is due to not being able to find an explanation for the "error -110". So we keep trying things. Maybe you can help us out. Thanks in advance.
Richard

Ghostryder4u

I have failed

#92 Post by Ghostryder4u »

Gm to you I hope your all well.

Ok I have failed in trying to understand puppy I can not get it to recognise my modem even though it lists it when looking at hardware pupdial just will not seach for my modem (yes it is connected) I blacklist and erase the driver for the onboard v92 modem which on restart which is a long winded process I have to turn off power and take out battery because it hangs at boot window?

pupdial insists on installing the software for the onboard modem because it can not find any other modem.

So I just do not know what else to do......... yes if I had time and no other plans I could learn about puppy and its pro's and con's but I dont so I am going to have to lay this to rest. I do wish you all the best in your efforts to get puppy up and running with the 3 g modems that are out there in comsumer land.

My respect and best wishes to you all.

G.

tempestuous

#93 Post by tempestuous »

If you want to eliminate your onboard V92 modem from the equation, why not just disable it in bios.

Kark

ZTE MF636 working

#94 Post by Kark »

Hi,

Thanks to you I finally managed to get online with my ZT MF636. Thank you!

I installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-9, usb_modeswitch, option_patched, hso and the patched ZTE storage thing.

I uncommented the first instance of ZTE 636 in the udev rules for onda/ZTE modems.

I plugged in, and I still wasn't seeing any modem, but then, after mounting the device that pops up (a CD, sr0 or sr1) and then ejecting it, the thing switches and everything works. It turns up as /dev/ttyUSB2 or dev/ttyUSB3 and is ready to connect.

On reboot it still works, but if I plug it in after boot up I have to go through this process again.

I still don't know if it is the option or the hso driver I'm using. Pupscan says option.

Could it be that it's the same modem as the 626? It's got the same values for vendor and product...

DefaultVendor=0x19d2
DefaultProduct=0x2000
TargetVendor=0x19d2
TargetProduct=0x31

rerwin

#95 Post by rerwin »

Ghostryder4u,
Thanks for trying out the 3G wireless stuff. I am disappointed that it would not work for you, but your effort has just given me new insight into the problem!

Normally, modems all get detected at about the same time, followed by initialization scripts that choose which modem to use (if there are several). The priority is that USB modems are used instead of PCI or sound-card modems. But these hybrid devices throw us a curve, in that they do not initially appear as a modem, so lose out in the priority.

So, thank you very much for getting me to see that. Resolving it is yet another challenge.

Kark,
Yes, the MF636 and MF626's sharing the same IDs is suspicious. But doing the "eject" is very interesting. Currently, I suspect my modeswitch rules are running too soon after the start of driver loading, so are ineffective. Ejecting the CD is apparently an alternate way of causing the mode switch. My goal is to make usb_modeswitch do that for you.
I uncommented the first instance of ZTE 636 in the udev rules for onda/ZTE modems.
The first instance is for use with kernels later than 2.6.25.16, so the rule did not work; the second instance is the correct one to use now..

The modem's use of ttyUSB2 or 3 concerns me, in that the init script assumes it's always ttyUSB0. I have yet to find a way to determine which device is actually the modem. What did you change to make that work - wvdial.conf or probing?

Thanks for revealing the "trick."
Richard

Kark

eject ZTE mf636

#96 Post by Kark »

Hello again,

Interesting to hear that the switch doesn't work. I tried uncommenting the other line with ZTE MF636 too, but nothing happens.

I have experimented some more:

1) It takes some time before the CD icon appears, so it might be that the switcher tries to switch too soon.

2) After some time, I get another usb-icon as well

3) If I wait till the USB icon appears before unmountning the CD, I'll get USB0-USB3, but if I unmount the CD right away, I get USB0-USB2, I think .... and the modem is always the highest number. I'm not really a nerd :) so I don't know how to find out these things. After the first time the thing switched, there has always been /dev/ttyUSB0-USB3 and sometimes number 2 works, sometimes number 3.

4) rebooting keeps the modem working, but only as long as it is constantly plugged in and live. Shutdown and then boot and the thing turns to a storage device again.

Kark

ZTE MF636 permanent solution

#97 Post by Kark »

I've decided to go for a different solution. I found a recipe for disabling the automatic CDRUN thing, and now I just plug in, boot up, and the ZTE MF636 is seen as a modem, it uses option, and it works.

I quote:
"You can try the following steps:

1. on WinVista through control panel ADD the extra init command AT+ZCDRUN=8
2. try to connect once with the providers s/w (WinVista)
3. remove the above command through control panel (WinVista)

>>> IMPORTANT NOTE: After issuing the above command you can use the
modem for Windows and Ubuntu but you cannot install it to another Windows PC. To return the modem to its default condition you have to send AT+ZCDRUN=9 following steps 1,2 and 3.

All the above are needed bacause there is no Hyperterminal into WinVista. You could also use a serial communication terminal program and send the command AT+ZCDRUN=8 directly to the port (comX) assigned for the ZTE MF636."

I found it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7059589

shonkylogic

#98 Post by shonkylogic »

Hi there

I'm (very) new here, but would like to share my experiences connecting a Huawei E169 to the (Australian) Virgin Broadband mobile network, to save others going through the same issues I have faced.

Virgin in their wisdom require PAP authentication rather than CHAP. Therefore you must add the following line to the /etc/ppp/options file to disable CHAP

-chap

The other three changes I made to Puppy to get connected were
1) Add the option module to BootManager
2) Add the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001

3) install the usb_modeswitch and 3g_pupdial_wireless packages on the first page of this thread... (I used version 9) ... and restart.

The E169 device is recognised if it is plugged in at system startup. The micro-sd card (if you have one plugged in) is also available at /mnt/sdb

Editing /etc/wvdial.conf, set the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0.

Using the pupdialler, set the max speed to 460800, the number to *99# and and the APN field to "VirginBroadband". I just put 'PPP' in the user and password - I don't think this matters. I also use Stupid Mode, as it starts the PPP daemon immediately.

This configuration connected successfully and it all seems to work now as expected. Thanks very much for making the original packages available.
Last edited by shonkylogic on Sun 26 Apr 2009, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

Kark

ZTE MF636, strange connection problems

#99 Post by Kark »

Hi,

There are 2 strange things with the ZTE MF636

1) If I boot up with the modem connected, I'm unable to connect. It says option is loaded for ZTE MF636 and everything looks good (product ID and vendor is correct), but I can't connect

2) If I plug in after bootup the modem always attaches itself to /dev/ttyUSB3. Probing doesn't bring up anything, not in pupdial, nor in pgprs setup. I have to enter /dev/ttyUSB3. I can connect with the pgprs-connect, but the first connection gives me the wrong dns. The second connection and all subsequent connections are OK.

3) If I try Wvdial first, I don't get a connection on the first try, nor on the second. The message I get is: "voice line detected", but If I first run pgprs-connect once, then wvdial connects correctly afterwards, and I get the right dns.

It seems like pgprs-connect does some magic to the modem. Something that the wvdial don't do. Why do I have to do this after every bootup?

Anyone has any explanation?

dejan555

#100 Post by dejan555 »

Hi guys, I see that these ZTE MF626 is the tricky one, well, that's the one I bought! :( and now I need help running it.

I installed all of the patches (option, patched storage, etc.), uncommented what I should I think then rebooted, plugged in modem, ran modprobe, then fire up pupdial, it seems it's detected when I try probe button first it lists modem as /dev/ttyUSB1, when I test it it says that modem is present and responds, but when I fill my ISP data (couldn't be mistaken there!) and hit connect it disconnects when it reaches ATDT*99# dial command.

Also which options should I check from those listed (Carrier check, Dialtone check, Busy check, Stupid Mode?). I tried with pgprs-setup and connect wizard and it disconnects on same spot (why not using pgprs instead of pupdial as it has only wireless-related options to configure?) When it fails to connect modem isn't recognized after that anymore and I have to unplug it then plug it back in for it to work?

Sorry if post is little messy :lol: if I had to do something in different order or any idea what else could I try please post. Thanks.

EDIT: Kark's post from above for MF636 shows some similar issues, if I boot with device connected it doesn't show up, but if I plug it after it's recognized.

rerwin, could you possibly explain me how to setup this connection manually with least packages installed since I don't know what those modules and patched options do at bootup, can I just remove usb-storage with rmmod usb-storage then just probe MF626 with product id 0x31, will this give same result or I still need to have those patches?
This is how I connected huawei e220 on puppy 4.x.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]