I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyiso

Thank you

#42 Post by puppyiso »

I don't know what to say.

Thank you very much! I tried on my wife's notebook a little earlier.

Just what I needed!

there wasn't any screen capture program so no screenshots but fast and smooth.

Now it's time to try with my own computer before she gets up.

Whatever I add(wallpapers, icons, etc), that will be based on this.

I am absolutely stunned and excited now. Thank YOU!

John S

puppyiso

#43 Post by puppyiso »

I tried on my own machine which runs the same 412sfs and the same 412 retro kernel.

Wings works fine. Thank God!

But WINE is not working like it supposed to. First, I tried windows installed apps. No responses. Then, I tried install and run all in Puppy.

Installed fine but not a response. I don't know what I did wrong.

Photoshop, for an example, ran ok in other puppy but not with this new one. I checked installed packages and found Open GL installed.

Then, why it doesn't work? Any idea?

John S

puppyluvr

#44 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,

@puppyiso,
Open a terminal and type in "wine" (without the quotes) and tell me what you get..
Typing "wine+program name" should launch said program..
EX: "wine notepad" should launch notepad....
For "Click and Run" capability on .exe files, you must install the
Wine mime type for Rox Pup from:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/programs:wine
Lots of useful Wine stuff there...

Wine is very large, 87mb worth to get Terragen working in PAW...
Way to big, but I love Terragen...
For the final release I may remove Terragen / Wine and offer them as an sfs instead, IDK...
Jay...

@RC-2 will be uploaded by tonight!!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyiso

screens

#45 Post by puppyiso »

After trying a few hours, I installed wine 1.19.sfs and somehow it helped(?) I now can run photoshop and a few more. But not with K3D or any other 3D apps.

I downloaded K3D and installed in drive C.
After wine configure, I clicked on K3D.exe but nothing happened.

typing wine k3d returned "could not load k3d.exe module"

Please take a look at the screen shots I took.

I even tried to open 3dsmax but just 1 or 2 seconds of splash screen and gone. no further movement.

DeleD (another 3d program) opened but all viewport were messed up.

I thought not enough swap space which is 0 now but I don't know how to increase it.

It might got nothing to do with no response from K3D.

John S
Attachments
wine error.png
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 1659 times
drive c.png
(167.19 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times

puppyluvr

#46 Post by puppyluvr »

:D puppyiso,
Wine is looking for the .exe in system32..
Open the k3d directory and find the .exe and symlink it to the windows/system32 directory or use it from the k3d dir...

Run any programs which give you trouble from the terminal, the error messages will help tell you what you need...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyluvr

PAW RC-2 released

#47 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, here I go again..

@@@@@@@@..PAW RC-2 Released..@@@@@@@@
PAW_RC-2.iso........254mb
MD5sum: ae70ff099b7a30021a916d98d4e1c3cf PAW_RC-2.iso
Available at my link below....

Changelog:
Added Gimp Animation plug-in
Added PuppyBasic Screensaver, for slideshows..
Removed more duped libs..
More Bugfixes...
Created "Programming" submenu
Removed some backgrounds...
Changed default widgets / background...

Issues:

The Menu..
On first boot the menu is messed up..It is fixmenus...
Correction, restart JWM..
I placed a script called "menufix" in /root/Startup that rewrites the menu..
@Note..To make any changes to the menu, modify /root/Startup/PAW.jwmrc as this file overwrites .jwmrc on reboot.. This is a temporary workaround, and will by fixed before the final (next?) release..

The Screensaver..
Don`t run both Screensavers at once...
The PuppyBasicScreensaver is running by default..
It is set for 1 minute, you`ll want to change that....
(Menu/Desktop/PuppyBasicScreensaver) ....
"Escape" key exits screensaver..
The Mplayer module is preset to FoxTV Japan..Programs are in English..
To turn off the Screensaver on Boot delete the symlink " /root Startup/run-PB-screensaver"

As always, comments, suggestions, and critics welcome...
Screenshot:
Last edited by puppyluvr on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 03:31, edited 2 times in total.
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

37fleetwood

#48 Post by 37fleetwood »

sorry it took a few days to get to itI've been building a shed out back. I was going to use a photo I took but decided that might be a bit vain so I settled on an existing Puppy background which I modified, hope nobody objects :oops:
anyway here it is, first the background and then a snap of it on the desktop. both at 1024x768:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

puppyluvr

#49 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Scott,
Cool, I like it!! D/L`d and installed... :D
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyiso

Thank you, Puppyluvr

#50 Post by puppyiso »

This is the follow up of the puppy you made with wings 3D.

As of today, I have finished all kinds of tests. Wings and Blender works.

I am happy as is now. I erased all other personal save files in order to save the boot time.(no 2fs choosing at boot)

The one with wings is the only one I have and I will have for a long time.

I am a MAX and Photoshop guy but I have to get used to using Gimp and Blender.(I like wings but not Blender and photoshop doesn't work perfectly so I have to learn Gimp more now)

I appreciate your effort to make the wine-wingsPuppy.

Thank you.

John S

P.S. Hope to see your multimedia DVD(Audio Video Photo editing)

puppyluvr

#51 Post by puppyluvr »

@puppyiso,
I am so happy to hear you were able to use it to build exactly what you needed, which is what Puppy is all about, to me...
I`m glad to be a part of anything that makes Puppy better for anyone...
Thank You, and welcome to Puppy..

@ "And this is, the last suit, you will ever wear" ...Men.In.Black. :D :D :D
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jamesbond

#52 Post by jamesbond »

Testing out RC2 ... a quick note:

PAW-RC2 will not load if RAM is less than 512MB, and instead it will crash. This, I think, is because PAW tries to load the entire SFS to RAM despite the fact that it isn't enough.

I remember that puppy 4.1.2 has a check somewhere, that if the RAM size is not enough, it will not copy the sfs to RAM. Perhaps you need to adjust this checking to account for the bigger size of PAW --- so at least, those who don't have the RAM size are still able to run PAW (albeit slower).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

puppyluvr

#53 Post by puppyluvr »

@jamesbond,
The pfix=noram boot code should work for PAW, but I wouldnt want to make it default..
If your machine has less than the recommended 512mb of ram, most of these apps would run really slow anyhow, unless you were careful about system management...
A full install uses way less ram, and may be a good method for limited ram systems..
On my old P3 600 w/384mb ram, w/a full install, Gimp uses less than 100 mb ram...
So I`d say boot pfix=noram, do a full install, as see how it goes...I have not tested this yet on less than 384mb ram, so it would help, and save me yanking out ram chips from my desktop....
384 mb with a swap boots ok...
...Jay...

jamesbond

#54 Post by jamesbond »

Most definitely agree, Jay. No problem for me personally. My machines all have at least 2GB of RAM.

I only found the problem when I run it in VirtualBox and artificially limit the memory - and my consideration is for people whose machines are less endowed, and in their excitement rush to download this before reading about "min 512MB" requirement - only to found it to crash during boot.
That wouldn't be a good first impression. If it doesn't crash, they will come back and try to find a way to speed up (as your suggestion), but if it crashes, they will probably try to download again (thinking it is caused by bad ISO/bad burn) and if it still crash, they probably won't look back and don't know what they are missing.

And no, pfix=noram is not good enough - I know it, you know it, but some people (especially the in the category I said above) may not.

I'm not saying it has to "not load to ram", but instead it checks first - if memory is sufficient, then load to ram, otherwise run from CD. In order words, anything but crash during load :)

Nothing urgent, but hopefully you can consider it for your final release.

All that being said, I'm grateful for this (as I said - personally this isn't a problem for me). I'm not much of an artist (yet) but I'm learning, and this is a great companion - a compilation of many tools in one place.

cheers!
James
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

puppup

#55 Post by puppup »

if a person works mostly on graphic/photography imaging programs, do you recommend downloading and working with puppy artists iso vs puppy linux?

once puppy artist iso is on dvd-r disc, do you reinstall wireless card/router programs to put on puppy desktop? as on windows, internet access is with a double click on these icons.

if adding more linux programs to a multisession disc, could you burn individual iso programs as well as also online download then install?

will there be problems getting cinepaint onto puppy artist multisession dvd-r disc? some years ago, someone wrote about putting cinepaint on puppy linux. (link below)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1174

also what's the correct way in downloading cinepaint? as there are several download links when you click on cinepaint download from sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=515394

.diff, .gz, .rpm, .dmg , are the different file types.

puppyluvr

#56 Post by puppyluvr »

First, the Mplayer fix for PupTV is at my link below...
It installs Mplayer and SDL...
No GUI for Mplayer, as its just for PupTV..
9mb with SDL, but I will reduce it later if I can..
Works on Puppy 4.20 , Puppy 4.12, and Upup..
Thats all Ive tested it on as of yet...

@puppup,
puppy artists iso vs puppy linux
P.A.W. is Puppy Linux..
I just took the time to compile, install, and "teach to coexist" all the Graphics Programs and necessary dependencies to make them run..Puppy only comes with Mtpaint and Inkscape by default...

For Internet access, click the connect icon and follow the instructions for your type of connection.....IE Wireless, Ethernet, ect.....You do not install the software that came with the hardware, as it is probably designed for windoze and will not work..Linux uses its own drivers, and this Pup has great hardware recognition...

When you install programs to Puppy, they go in your save file with everything else, and if you are running multi-session, they will be saved along with it, and will be there when you reboot...

As for Cinepaint, I was going to include it in PAW, but size issues, and the fact that I never could get it to compile right on PAW, prevented it..I may yet succeed, at which point I would release a "Cinepaint for PAW" Pet....
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jade14

Puppy Artists Workshop

#57 Post by jade14 »

I am a photographer and teacher in Costa Rica who has attempted the Linux switch a couple of times (Kubuntu and Linux Mint) ... But this time around, with Puppy Artist Studio I think I finally found what I was looking for !

See, I have been trying to put some old PCs back to work in a project with high school kids (I'll make sure to upgrade them to 512 Mb of RAM... :wink: ) The idea is to get them producing audio/photo documentaries with open source software in a light Gnu/Linux distro.

There are a couple of samples of what I am talking about, in the last two posts at my site (both edited w Audacity and Blender). There you'll also find links to a couple of tutorials in english on Blender as a pro level video editor, in case anyone is interested...:

http://artenemo.org

In order to get PAW to install I had to pare the .sfs file name down to pup_412.sfs and place it at root of hda1 drive (it kept saying it could not be found on boot)... Can any harm come from that change ?... Got it installed in a USB stick with no issues so far (writing this email, while listening to french jazz streaming + running Blender and GIMP in a 7 year old lappie... Gotto love it!

Any advice on installing the .pet for Audacity /Avidemux (only 2 missing apps required to edit sound /encode such photo-sound docs in Puppy) ?

Thanks again to puppyluvr, barry and everyone in the Puppy Linux community for such an act of love! :P

J

puppup

#58 Post by puppup »

does P.A.W support 16 bit editing? (eg. levels or curves work in cinepaint/gimp) is there a particular program that substitutes for cinepaint? or could cinepaint be easily installed?

if I wanted to install cinepaint onto P.A.W...

what's the correct process in downloading cinepaint? as there are several download links when you click on the cinepaint download from sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=515394

.diff, .gz, .rpm, .dmg , are the different file types.

puppyluvr

#59 Post by puppyluvr »

:D puppup,
Still working on Cinepaint for ya...
Earlier, I posted an error I received from my compiled Cinepaint...
I was unable to resolve the error..
So I tried to redo it with the .rpms from Fedora for i386..
After many dep`s, I got it to run, however, same error...
(cinepaint:29400): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed
cinepaint fatal error: sigsegv caught
cinepaint (pid:29400): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed:
I dont know how to proceed....
Please, one of you geniuses tell me what that means??? :oops:
Ive compiled it twice, no errors, and built it once from .rpms, still same error....

Meanwhile, still looking ahead to the Final... :D
I`m trying.... :D

jade14

P.A.W high-bit image editing

#60 Post by jade14 »

troy_s, at the always-interesting never-ending " Using Linux for photography: where we stand" thread http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2008/08/21 ... -we-stand/ apparently is using Blender for high bit image editing and stating:

"Personally, I’d encourage everyone here who is serious about this matter to give Blender a shot. Flip to the nodal compositor and load a linear 16bit TIFF as output from the most amazing dcraw. Slam the image through a photo receptor node and poof — instant lightroom." (...) "If you are looking for something to use tablet twiddles / selective masking / burns and dodges / etc. on images with, it is _not_ the tool. That said, for straight raw ( HIGH-BIT ?) processing and brilliant granularity akin to Nuke and like tools, Blender is an amazing product."

After a jolly time learnig to use Blenders Video Sequence Editor I am pretty sure the learning curve is no walk in the park... but give it a shot before attempting to compile Cinepaint on your own (and teaching it to play nice with the rest of the gang) since Puppyluvr is already having a rough ride with it...

If you are considering video game authoring Blender does that as well... I bet it does windows too :?

Puppyluvr: Several of the included Xine streams failed to play and produced this warning: ERROR from the xine engine. The xine engine failed to start. No demuxer found- Stream format not recognized- Other than that i am very very happy with the R.A.W... (How do I change the PuppyTV channels ??)

J