slideshow screen saver?

Booting, installing, newbie
dboblet

slideshow screen saver?

#1 Post by dboblet »

I've read some of the things here I could find using search... I'm looking for a screensaver slide show... like the one I had in the 4.12 distro. I'm using a frugal 4.20 Deep Thought right now. Are there any pets available? I'd prefer not to have to use another sfs file right now.

Thanks....
dcb

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello dboblet,
At my link below, in "My Pets" is a pet called Puppyscreensaver..(NOT the Xscreensaver pet)...D/L and install it..
After installation, 2 files will appear in your top level directory..(/)...
setup-PB-screensaver and run-PB-screensaver..
Click the "setup" one..
Click "Choose Module"
Select "Slideshow" and click OK
Click "Test Screensaver"...to see if it works...
It uses /usr/share/backgrounds as its source....
You may need to install PuppyBasic (Google it) depending on your version...
Enjoy... :D :D :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

dboblet

#3 Post by dboblet »

Puppyluvr,
I followed your link but I get the following message:

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Can you guide me through this one?
Thanks.
dboblet

MU

#4 Post by MU »

user:
puppy
password:
linux

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

dboblet

not working

#5 Post by dboblet »

Thanks, I downloaded it, also installed PuppyBasic. But, alas, it doesn't seem to work with Puppy 4.2.... So... Still looking.
It appears to install. I click on the setup icon, select slideshow (OK), select test (OK) and nothing whatsoever happens. I even tried to just activate it and nothing happens, even after rebooting and trying all the above all over again.
any thoughts??

MU

#6 Post by MU »

Hm, it was repackaged as pet, the original one was a dotpup.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7338#17338
But the folders and files got broken it the pet.

I have repackaged it, and attach it.
I also added a symlink in /root/Startup/, so it starts with X.
Mark
Attachments
PuppyScreensaver.pet
(82.62 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MUguest

#7 Post by MUguest »

I updated the pet.
Changes for the slideshow:
- runs with your current screensize
- loops once all pictures were shown (by using a recursive symlink, and the option to descend into subdirectories)
- uses "fade" as effect to blend the pictures.

Mark

puppyluvr

#8 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Thanks Mark...when I made that into a pet i had no clue yet....
Thanks for fixing it...Jay...

dboblet

a good effort at least

#9 Post by dboblet »

I downloaded the new pet and installed it. All seemed ok until I tried to 'test' the screensaver. The screen blanks out for bout 10 seconds then returns to the main menu. From the docs I gather it's supposes to be pulling up jpg's from my usr/share/backgrounds file but nothing seems to happen. (for ref. Ditro Deep Thought 4.2 with puppybasic installed)

Thoughts??

MU

#10 Post by MU »

dboblet
You need to install libSDL with petget.
If you still do not see pictures, please look in your filemanager, if you have
/usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0

I use an extended libSDL, not the one from Petget.
Mark

dboblet

thanks

#11 Post by dboblet »

Thanks, that was the missing ingredient. It works great now.
regards.

vtpup

#12 Post by vtpup »

Just to re-iterate, late versions of Puppy will need additional dependencies to run it. Puppybasic is probably located in the older version repositories. It will be found for 4.3.1 by using the Puppy Package manager's new Find function. Here are the dependencies:

puppybasic 2.5b from Puppy Package Manager
sdl-1.2.9.pet from http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/
sdl_image-1.2.4.pet from http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/

(Note: the SDL 1.2.11 from the Puppy Package Manager is missing libvga.so.1, but the sdl-1.2.9.pet includes it, so I used it instead.)

Also if you want to change the directory that gets shown on the screensaver, symlink it into the /usr/local/PuppyBasicScreensaver02/resource/slideshow/ directory. The default symlink in there is called Backgrounds, which gives you a slideshow of the Puppy wallpaper directory. I removed this symlink and replaced it with a symlink to a directory I preferred.

Also to stop the slideshow, hit esc.

Suggestions:

If anyone wants to develop this program further, it would be nice if the libsvga lib dependency was included so you could use the Puppy Package Manager version of SDL.

Also, the interval is actually not the interval that slides are shown, but the delay before the screensaver starts. It would be nice to be able to set the actual slide display interval.

Also, not sure, but I believe the slideshow is not randomized, and repeats the slides in the same order. It would be nice to have a randomizer function for really big picture directories so the same initial pix don't always get repeated.

Also, mouse movement should stop the screensaver, and revert to the desktop.

Finally, the setup menu might have an entry to specify the desired slide directory.

I'm tempted to re-learn basic for this, if I get the time after the holidays, may try to update it.

If someone beats me to it, I won't be upset :)

vtpup

#13 Post by vtpup »

Additional Hints:

I was able to randomize the slide order and increase the slide duration from 5 seconds to 10 by opening /usr/local/PuppyBasicScreensaver02/resource/mod_slideshow.pbas in Geany, and editing the line:

Code: Select all

shell("slideshow -width " & trim(s[0]) & " -height " & trim(s[1]) & " -sort  n+ -recurse -tran fade -advance 5 /usr/local/PuppyBasicScreensaver02/resource/slideshow/")
To read like this:

Code: Select all

shell("slideshow -width " & trim(s[0]) & " -height " & trim(s[1]) & " -sort  n+ -recurse -random -tran fade -advance 10 /usr/local/PuppyBasicScreensaver02/resource/slideshow/")
Note the addition of -random, and the change of -advance 5 to -advance 10

Barq's

#14 Post by Barq's »

vtpup

Is there anyway that I could encourage you to make the updates you suggested? I would really love to have a working slideshow screen saver with all the features you just listed. In particular the feature that would allow mouse movement (or any keystroke) to stop the screen saver and revert back to the desk top would be greatly appreciated since my keyboard does not have an ESC key (I'm using an old iOpener)

On a side note, there is a feature in puppy that blacks the screen after about 10 to 15 minutes of inactivity. This feature seems to take precedence over the slideshow screen saver. Moving the mouse or hitting any key will cause the machine to come out of this black mode and the slideshow screen saver will re-appear, but it will be locked onto the last slide shown. How do I shut off this default screen shutdown feature? (it would be a nice touch if the slideshow screen saver had a feature to update that setting for the user:).

vtpup

#15 Post by vtpup »

Sorry., I'm not familiar enough with the program to do that, and won't have time in the near future to try, but I did give simple workarounds for most of the wish list. Basically it's just as easy to make the simple directory substitutions and file edits I outlined above, as do it with a GUI interface.

The two other features you mention -- closing on other events than the ESC key and preventing the puppy screensaver from hiding it aren't features I needed. The blanking can be stopped by ordinary Puppy settings in Desktop>Pupx>screensaver, I believe.

I'm very surprised you don't have an ESC key. You might try Ctrl Z, Ctrl C, f6 or Ctrl f6, or Break (Shift Pause) if you have it, to see if those work. If not, what you want certainly can be done if you do a little research, yourself. And you can add your results here for others when you figure it out. Or maybe someone else will find this and be able to add to the thread. Good Luck!

Barq's

Slideshow Screen Saver Bugs

#16 Post by Barq's »

vtpup et. al.

It is unfortunate that you do not have the time, but it is also understandable. I thank you for the suggestions for possible keyboard equivalents for the ESC key. Unfortunately none of them worked. But just to exhaust all possibilities, I held down the Ctrl key and systematically hit each and every key on the keyboard (except the ESC key)...no combination worked. I followed that up by holding down the Alt key and doing the same thing and then holding down Ctrl+Alt and systematically going through all the keys again. Although I never did find a way to revert back to the desktop the Ctrl+Alt combination with a third key did put me into other places that I did not know how to get out of, including a PuppyPC Login: screen that required a password to enter. But that is just another rabbit trail which I will not pursue at this point.

With regard to the blanking of the screensaver issue; I spent the day playing with all combinations of the setting found under "Desktop>PupX>Screensaver", the settings had no effect on the screensaver performance in any way shape or form. At 20 minutes after the screensaver started it would freeze and was followed by a black screen that momentarily displayed the "NO SIGNAL" message before going totally black. Moving the mouse or hitting a key would revert back to the frozen screensaver.

I did notice another odd behavior with the screensaver. when ever the screensaver starts it always centers the curser in the middle of the screen and does not make it disappear, That would appear to be a bit of a bug for a slideshow.

As I have been lurking around this forum for a couple years now I am very excited to see a screensaver posted that was easy enough to install that even I was able to do it. As I am not a code writer it would be silly for me to attempt to take on the task of fixing these last few details. The best I can do is offer my assistance with beta testing, and I am more than willing to do that. Does anybody know who created this screensaver? If the author is not part of this community, can I assume that this screensaver is open source? Is there anybody that would be willing to work with me to fix the last few issues with this code?

Although there are less than two dozen responses for this thread I notice there are over a thousand views already. I believe there is sufficient interest here to justify this effort. I will do whatever I can to facilitate this project. will somebody step forward to help me complete it?

Thank you

mystmaiden

#17 Post by mystmaiden »

I'm trying to set up a screensaver slide show and someone kindly pointed me to this thread. I got the screensaver pet but I may be missing some stuff.

Mu wrote:
I'm not finding that in the puppy package manager, has it been removed or am I just blind?

thanks

mystmaiden

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

mystmaiden wrote:I'm trying to set up a screensaver slide show and someone kindly pointed me to this thread. I got the screensaver pet but I may be missing some stuff.

Mu wrote:
I'm not finding that in the puppy package manager, has it been removed or am I just blind?

thanks

mystmaiden
I typed libSDL in the search box and found this:

http://dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:li ... :libraries

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mystmaiden

#19 Post by mystmaiden »

Thanks so much :) I don't seem to have a search on the pet manager - maybe that came after 4.2

So far I'm semi-successful. The screensaver does work (huzzah!) and it looks great but I had to reboot and now the mouse is not working.

Edited to add: For whatever reason, one more reboot and the mouse is functioning and everything is working.

Many thanks to all who helped me get this going, and the ones who provided all the goodies it took to do it!

and yup. I like to watch my screensaver this much.. wow, do I ever need a Life!!

myst - mystified!

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

mystmaiden wrote:Thanks so much :) I don't seem to have a search on the pet manager - maybe that came after 4.2

So far I'm semi-successful. The screensaver does work (huzzah!) and it looks great but I had to reboot and now the mouse is not working.

Edited to add: For whatever reason, one more reboot and the mouse is functioning and everything is working.

Many thanks to all who helped me get this going, and the ones who provided all the goodies it took to do it!

and yup. I like to watch my screensaver this much.. wow, do I ever need a Life!!

myst - mystified!
The search I was referring to is right here at the top of the forum
page, next to FAQ.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs