How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2.x [Updated]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

Just a little further input here from more experimenting. I am using an HP printer that does not have a native Gutenprint driver, and results using one that was close were OK, but not great. Loading CUPS 1.39 as above along with the two packages hplipfw-p42-3.9.2-i486.pet and hplip-ppd-p42-3.9.2-i486.pet as recommended here, plus the config file gave me a native driver and cured the instability issues I was having with 1.4. HOWEVER, it did consume serious pupspace. SO. I uninstalled the two packages hplipfw-p42-3.9.2-i486.pet and hplip-ppd-p42-3.9.2-i486.pet, and installed the package hpijs-2.8.2_static-1 via the package manager. I updated the foomatic filter with -U as described above, and it all worked perfectly. It was however 27 MB smaller. Which was nice :D
I found re-booting to be essential. When I tried it without re-boot, the test page printed about 30% then hung. Following a re-boot, all was fine.
Summary: If you are using an HP printer without a native Gutenprint driver, first download hpijs-2.8.2_static-1 from the package manager, go to /usr/lib/cups/filter and open foomatic-rip-hplip in Geany. Add

Code: Select all

-U
to the top line so that it looks like this

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl -U
And with a bit of luck, you will have a native driver for not much extra overhead. You will of course still have CUPS 1.4, but if you want to change it for 1.39, just follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Patriot

#22 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@DaveS
I'd like clarify a bit of what I know about the hplip packages. For those who're still in the dark, hpijs has been incorporated into hplip. Recent hplip packages have gain considerable size due to the number of newer printer driver support plus the older ones (inclusion from hpijs). It is still possible to produce only hpijs set from hplip packages.

It is also possible to make individualized printer driver packages for specific printer model(s) that really cuts down the size but other considerations such as man-hour needed, storage/download space and future maintenance obviously makes it not worthwhile.

It is very much possible for users to trim down the size by removing unneeded modules or drivers. The bulk of the storage space for hplip is consumed by static ppd drivers and users should use their own discretion to remove what's not required. For example, removing the unneeded static ppd drivers for printers that one does not need is a good start.

I had an idea back then to make a modified hplip static ppd set that only install user selected drivers but alas, time pressures threw me off course. Perhaps someone can pick this one up ?

Rgds

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

I'm not especially fierce about saving space, but I guess anyone who uses Puppy is, like me, enchanted by the whole minimal concept. I like to back up my 'save' file, so I keep all my work outside of the save file, and use the save file only for Puppy configuration, so keeping it small helps with back-up speed. Hence the attempt to minimise the printing overhead.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Uten

#24 Post by Uten »

HP-TQ-RPM wrote:
Go to Menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager.
Select the System group and download the hpijs-2.8.2-static-1.pet
I used to get "foomatic-rip failed" messages. But this solved that for me and my HP DeskJet F4100.

Thanks.. :D
(puppylinux 4.20, CUPS 1.4b2)