Woofathon

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Woofathon

#1 Post by Lobster »

This is Barrys Woof build of
Upup using Woof Alpha 4 (Ubuntu packages used to build Puppy)
http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00662

Reminder this is an Alpha build - test and experimental
For play time only
Don't use cutting edge technology if you are a new Pup
- who am I kidding - you ain't gonna listen
Be careful if you have important data on your HD :roll:

It is one of our potential Kennel (Puppy 5) breeds

Just to remind anyone trying this from CD?DVD
run puppy = pfix=ram during boot up to ensure you do not interfere with any existing save.sfs on the hard disk

I look forward to the Beta as this is very much an Alpha build
I love the black and gray default desktop that is loaded - a great option for Alphas - and I just like it anyways . . . :)

The screen (even though I selected xorg) looks more like xvesa
- might it have jumped to that if xorg failed?
The screen is offset to the right slightly - my TFT monitor auto button does not fix it
so would have to shift about 10 pixels to the left manually
- see later for update

The Seamonkey window is not responding to the scroll wheel for moving down web pages.

I tried installing the Fullerscreen presentation program (comes with this build so no need to download) had to remember to press f11 to activate slideshow mode . . .

The package manager is much simpler in presentation and I tried installing kexi database from several locations without success

I did download the devx.sfs too - intending to look at Valide and Genie but this build is too early for me to use without extreme frustration, so did not try it.

Anyway just quick feedback before I try improving the screen display :)

Be interested how our intrepid Puppy testers get on.
How are you faring?

Update
OK it was xorg but it jumped down a resolution.
pressing ctrl + alt + backspace and running 'xorgwizard'
I was able to select one resolution higher than my monitor could take and then the available safe options included safe 'your monitor can handle' options which I was able to select and use.
The TFT auto adjust button also worked - so now I have the resolution I am used to - :oops: seems to have drifted to the right again and will not autocorrect.
This was a problem I think in DIngo? Was solved . . .

Xorg is very sluggish - I have a fast video card and it should be better . . .

Valide appears in the menu when adding devx but not Glade?
I also added a couple of standard Puppy sfs (OpenOffice and XaraLX)
- seem to be working fine . . .

Right gonna add the devx and then do another update to this thread. So far have preferred Dpup and Spup BUT the previous Upup did not even get to desktop on my system - so progress . . .

Thanks Barry :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 18 Apr 2009, 07:27, edited 4 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey lobster you left out the link ???
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

A jaunty woofing puppy (groan) what next!

gerry

#5 Post by gerry »

Booted pfix=ram as advised.
Set up eth0.
Clicked on reboot, created save file.
On booting, I got:

Performing a switch-root to the layered file system...Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

9-year old m/c, Intel Celeron 600MHz 256MB ram.

Gerry

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Gerry, this probably means that upup-461.sfs isn't copied to /mnt/home. Astonishing as you seem to have been able to create a pupsave file.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

xsane

#7 Post by Béèm »

For xsane to work a libgimpXX package has to be installed.
Type xsane in a console and you have the name. Use the PPM to get it.

In My case with an imbedded scanner in my Epson stylus PHOTO RX600 I couldn't have color scanning. Failure to create a cms profile or something like this.
Time savers:

Béèm

Timezone

#8 Post by Béèm »

A nice addition is the timezone configuration at first boot. Great.
Time savers:

Béèm

Alsamixer config not sticking.

#9 Post by Béèm »

Maybe it was mentioned.
But I have to push up the volume of front and surround each time after a boot.
Escape should save I think, but it doesn't.
Time savers:

gerry

#10 Post by gerry »

Be'em- upup-461.sfs is there in /mnt/home/. I looked at permissions (using 412, of course). It had only owner r/w/e, whereas the 412 sfs has group/world read as well. So I changed 461 permissions to match, but still the same result.

Gerry

rhadon

#11 Post by rhadon »

If I want to add a printer I'll be asked for user name and password. 'root' and 'woofwoof' doesn't work. Does anybody know the right words?

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tony

#12 Post by tony »

Hi

I burned the iso, booted up using pfix=ram.

Used the network wizard to connect. All OK.

But no Seamonkey browser.

Clicking icons don't work.

Console works but only get input output errors.

Couldn't even shut computer down, had to press reset.

Will try again on my laptop.

Big big dissapointment so far.

Regards Tony

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

@rhadon: Go here and get gray's cupsd.conf. Unzip it and copy it to /etc/cups.

Restart the CUPS daemon with: /etc/init.d/cups restart

This should eliminate the requests for passwords.

Martin

First impression

#14 Post by Martin »

I know we're still very much alpha but I ran into this:

-No menu icons
-Play doesn't play
-tried to install Firefox & VLC with PPM, no success
-Pnethood doesn't find any shares on my network anymore
-Xorg is fine when booting from CD but refuses to run from USB-stick. I Can't even get Xvesa to run

tony

#15 Post by tony »

Hi,

Successfully booted on toshiba 4010 laptop.

Posting this message using upup.

Regards Tony

`f00

#16 Post by `f00 »

******updated post******
tested on: i686 machine
processor - Pentium 3 @1GHz
RAM - 512M
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used (switched in BIOS), PCI
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection
Burniso2cd of the dl'd upup-461.iso (md5 manually verified) in p4.20-rc4. Cold-booted 'straight' .. kind of odd (but in a gooD way), started with xvesa option for display (and nice setting locale,tz & such at boot). Monochromish desktop is actually oki (and yah, no leafpad icon in 2nd tier of menu - this is due to leafpad's .desktop file pointing to an .xpm rather than the extant .png for icon). No xvesa dialogue for preferred display size as was previously usual at deskstartup. This may be a problem in sequence as even on subsequent cold-boots the desktop reverts to 640x480x16 (drive icons of pup_event frontend are present and functional) .. *BUT* 'disappear' with change of display to my preferred 1024x768x24. And pmount seems less than useful as a mounting utility - click on any button closes the gui (2 tabs are mislabeled as well, optical drives show in a second "floppy" tab and USB thumbdrives are in the "optical" tab) as shown in following image:
Scrollwheel on ps2 maus functions fine, as does the 'middle'button bind to a sidebutton that seems default on this unit in almost all pups (but then again, this is xvesa and not xorg).
Well, finally - after several rather disappointing boots and flails (mostly to do with non-saved sessions, pmount failing repeatedly and the driveicons on desktop being an extremely rare fluke), something of worth to perhaps the average user.
1) boot from CD, make all pre-desktop settings (I used xvesa since xorg was a non-starter on my usual machine in this upup-461)
2) mainmenu->Shutdown->Reboot (after xload 'settles' to idle) does a 'flicker reboot' and the driveicons come up on the desktop - it may be best to plug in any thumbdrives and mount them (since pmount is less than useful) at this point since the driveicons *may* disappear at any point and mounting anything may be problematical without a means to do so (perhaps learn more command lines and commit to memory :roll: )
3) mainmenu->Shutdown->Reboot takes me to a 'real' Reboot-> save dialogue the second time - I saved to CD (and the datetime dir was properly loaded and precedent is set for further saves .. I hope)
4) .. a save 'bullseye' icon appears on the desktop (over one of the others), upper right location .. and freememapplet shows info numbers next to the xload graph. Driveicons *were* present and I mounted a thumbdrive (they disappeared when I changed display size in xvesa wizard .. oh well :| ). /tmp/xerrs.log seems to always be filling with repeated line

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
.. not so sure of how this branch is going to catch on with 'normal' users with a not-so-vast knowledge of how to make it work - the usual Exit to Prompt seems to not really work anymore from the menu (and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace seems also not to do anything useful .. the 'flicker-RE' is starting to look like a dead end, in my limited opinion).
After using the in-session save2CD 'bullseye' (gotten used to this by now), the only way to shutdown was a hard poweroff (mainmenu Reboot and Poweroff don't do diddly as far as getting to the shutdown dialogs and as noted previously Ctrl+Alt+Backspace only gives a flicker rather than Exit to Prompt). After hardoff, a fresh boot starts oki with datetime dirs loaded before the .sfs - but the display is reverted back to 640x480x16 and alsamixer lost all settings .. oh, well. There may be some oddness with layers as well - 'top' modifications/files in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps (as of the last datetime savedir) are not respected and images revert back (no idea if remastering would be worthwhile on an alpha).

------090424 - (further diddlings and a kludge)
Well, I was getting more than a bit put off by having to make a decision on whether I wanted a) mounting by the desktop driveicons coupled with a 640x480x16 'default' display - not so good with oversized windows like Puppy Package Manager .. or b) mounting all drives that might be needed and then changing the display. Then I recalled a kludge. It's not an optimal solution but it works for me (and perhaps others with the same display-change/loss-of-gui-mounting issue). It has to do with the 'cleaning' of desktop icons on line11 of /root/.xinitrc - comment that line out and the driveicons do not disappear when a display change restarts the Xserver. They will work pretty much as expected for mounting and unmounting - actually they are now static and do not disappear at all (as opticals and removable media would if pup_event's front end and the display were working properly together) and the icons change appearance appropriately for mount state.

Funny, upup recognized my old zip100 drive after I loaded a disk and a re-X so I have two 'floppies' now :) hmm, if it wasn't such a pitb booting from a floppy, 100Mb seems like a nice size for a leaner pup-on-disk (so far thumbdrives have eluded me as media to actually install to and boot from with a fairly old BIOS) .. which kind of segues to

Nope, still no joy on reboot or poweroff or even exit-to-prompt and I see it's some different now, actually a "wm" type of deal now if what I looked at relevant to the issue makes sense (reading _root_.jwmrc and as much of the scripts as I could get the gist of .. /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown? was pretty dense) which would explain the puzzling behavior of a circular re-X rather than the expected reboot/poweroff->save/nosave dialogue and a real actual positively more desired method of ending a session. Hardoff works but it's even worse than my kludge, some things revert and other saved-in-session changes are okay :|

Conky's in fine now - didn't need the whole libxcb-1.0.pet, just extract a single file to where it needs to be and make a symlink. Unfortunately, remaster was a bust - got to 'pick a burner drive' to copy stuff from the liveCD and it went away after "okay" (mounted and unmounted) .. oh well, seemed like an idea.
Last edited by `f00 on Sun 26 Apr 2009, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

#17 Post by Jim1911 »

Great concept and seems to work well except for menu updates to show newly installed applications and CUPS failure to work. Looking forward to testing later versions of Woof's upup.

One feature, I'd like to see added is an update to pmount and gparted so that ext4 partitions can be accessed and used, especially since ext4 is now used by the new Jaunty Jackalope Ubuntu.

Jim

tronkel

#18 Post by tronkel »

Certainly going in the right direction, but not there yet. As fast as dPup and uPup also recognises my ATI Radeon video card. Nice looking too IMHO

As Lobster pointed out - no scroll wheel in Seamonkey. Could be a problem with Xorg.

I had a go at installing kpatience via the Package Manager. downloading the dependencies failed in many cases. Same for Firefox and Tilda. Ubuntu servers don't seem reachable in many cases. I had similar problems with the Debian servers when trying to build a dPup earlier today. Lol, these woofers don't seem too happy about Puppy trying to steal the food out of their food bowls! It is a bit of a cheek now that I think about it. Gosh, we all try to do our best for out little pup here and they won't even let us help ourselves to their goodies! (can't say as I blame them, lol - after all, they do put so much time and effort into compiling these packages)

Also tried it on the Asus eeepc via USB stick booted OK but no wireless LAN so far.

But it runs faster than the original Jaunty - and it's no sluggard.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Béèm

#19 Post by Béèm »

gerry wrote:Be'em- upup-461.sfs is there in /mnt/home/. I looked at permissions (using 412, of course). It had only owner r/w/e, whereas the 412 sfs has group/world read as well. So I changed 461 permissions to match, but still the same result.

Gerry
gerry wrote:Performing a switch-root to the layered file system...Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Strange
When I have this message it is because the sfs isn't in /mnt/home.
Don't know what could cause the message.
This is what I have in my frugal install with the Lin'N'Win method.:
Attachments
upup-461.sfs.png
(38.49 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Time savers:

ecomoney

#20 Post by ecomoney »

Looks interesting...is there a way of installing compiz straight from the package manager? That would be fantastic.

Just from first impressions, a little too "grey" to be immediately attractive to a new user....perhaps Brown to indicate its ubuntu background?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!