Puppy Artists Workshop

News, happenings
Caneri

#21 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jay,

You're new beta is on .ca now.

http://puppylinux.ca/members/Puppyluvr/

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

puppyluvr

#22 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Thanks Eric, Appreciated.. :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyluvr

#23 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,

Plans for RC2...

Gimp GAP plug in...done
Fix crossed up libs...done
Create symlink for Terragen surfaces...done

/usr/doc has 40mb of documentation...
I`m think about removing most, if not all, of it...Thoughts???

Looking to slim it down if I can...Suggestions???

At RC2 the program list will be final..Any last requests???

Testing on Toshiba (new Intel card) laptop fails both xorg and xvesa..
Tried a dozen Puppies on it...
Only Transitions(Puppy FF3.01) will work for video..
Can the drivers / firmware be transfered to 4.12 from 3.01???
Still unable to test NVidia cards...anyone???
Tested on i810 / ATI 7500 so far....
Thanks....
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

joopyhellspawn

#24 Post by joopyhellspawn »

Ok, I guess I misunderstood. I am running PawBeta3 and although everything I've tried so far has worked the one thing that I was looking for was not included, namely GAP. I saw a comment you made about Gap being done so I assumed it was going to included but it wasn't. Will that be in the next release?

puppyluvr

#25 Post by puppyluvr »

:D joopyhellspawn,
Yes it will be in RC2. After program choices are final, and a few corrections are made, I will release it...
Glad to hear its working well.so far. please test it well.. :D
I`m kinda hardware limited, and some of this software is out of my range, so broader, more competent testing is needed :D
@ What video card are you running, ect, if I might ask a few specs????
Thanks..Jay....

jamesbond

#26 Post by jamesbond »

I would vote for cinepaint (if the software list is still open), otherwise nevermind. I have nvidia so I can help to test on that. I would need the devx for that though, and I suppose because it's based on 4.1.2 retro, the devx for 4.1.2 retro will work? (no kernel changes, right?)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

37fleetwood

#27 Post by 37fleetwood »

played with beta2 recently and it's brilliant! the only issue I had was in trying to get wine to work it won't run .exe's by clicking them. minor I know but it's all in the details.

also I like the idea of the DaVinci studio wallpaper, but in practise it's very busy and a bit blurry (sorry :oops: ) I have a possible solution, maybe a small contest with submissions of Puppy user Photographers and the best few can be inserted and the ones in there can be flushed out to make room. the best one can be the default. give us a default size resolution and file type you would prefer and I would love to submit a photo or two for use.
thanks
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

puppyluvr

#28 Post by puppyluvr »

@jamesbond,
Yes, Cinepaint was originally going to be in PAW, but due to the number of dep`s, and size issues, I left it out...
So I thought I`d Pet it up for you...
After meeting a buttload of dependancies, I get this error message:
(cinepaint:12352): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed
cinepaint fatal error: sigsegv caught
cinepaint (pid:12352): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed:
If anyone can tell me how to proceed I`d appreciate it....

@37fleetwood
Thats a great idea...I was going to strip them all but 1, (the blurry pic of Da Vinci`s studio after I fixed it), but this is better...
Say, include the top 5???
Till then, here is a larger, clearer pic of the Studio:

P.S. If you look in /my-documents/music there is a cut from my last CD to test
audio with...forgot it was there.. :roll:
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyiso

memory problem

#29 Post by puppyiso »

I am using an old machine with 256MB RAM.

While booting, it stopped and said out of memory.

I always wanted something like Puppy Artist version. But I have to wait until I get a machine with more RAM.

It's too bad I couldn't use PAW this time.

By any chance, do you plan to make PAW like CoicePup which loads multiple SFS files or super diet version of PAW(barebone+wings < 100MB)?

John S

puppyluvr

#30 Post by puppyluvr »

:D puppyiso,
Do you have a swap file / partition??
IDK if the 4.20 "nocopy" bootcode works in 4.12....maybe...
In 3.01 it was "noram"

I`m thinking about a PAW lite, >100mb or so, really stripped...
But, if you like, I could try Petting up Wings for ya.????
I am using barebones 4.12 retro already, so...
What say I make it for that..OK??

Still studying the SFS process...
By the time I release the lite version I should have it figured out...
Its hard to Pet or SFS individual elements, as many are somewhat codependant..
Hence the "Programming" submenu in the upcoming RC-2..
I had to install so much of the Python and Glade / Basic stuff, might as well make some use out of it.
..Jay...

puppyluvr

#31 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Here is 1 background...
:D
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Hi Jay, :)

I downloaded Beta 2 because it was not clear from the first post that beta 3 was available :?
Might be worth editing.post one :)
In your example palette, previous post, the paint/icons will only look good on one resolution . . .
I also find the fancy font hard to read.
Another thing - not sure if it is in beta3
You have MS notepad and MSpaint in the wine directory.
These are proprietary software. You are not licensed to provide them and Eric is not licensed to host them. I hope they can be replaced with free software :)
Hope that is useful feedback - if rather negative . . .

Good luck with your next release :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyiso

Please do

#33 Post by puppyiso »

puppyluvr, It would be nice if you make slimmed down version(s) which weighs less than 100 ~150 so.

Making barebone+wine+wings only version would be even better.

I would be grateful to you if you make them light enough to fit in my RAM size. Right now, I feel like putting .45 cal to 9mm. Great bullets but unable to use.

I have tried many times. I even installed version 4.2 hoping wine or wings working. none were successful. Your help is my last resort.

This never ending battle with installing 3D on Puppy should end soon.

The real problem could be hardware problem. I may not be able to run 3D with the cmputer I use daily now. But I believe what windows can do can be done in Linux too.

Thank you in advance.

John S.

puppyluvr

#34 Post by puppyluvr »

@Ed, suggestions noted:
Font fixed...
Default wallpaper is undecided...

Added to first post:
###Beta 3 / RC 1 available, see end of thread..###

As for Notepad and MSPaint, :oops:
Actually, Notepad comes with Wine...
Paint, OTOH, was an oversight on my part, and has been dutifully removed...
It is useless anyways....except for testing Wine...

@puppyiso,
I`ll see what I can squeeze into 100-150mb and get back...

37fleetwood

#35 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi,
just a couple opinions, first in this puplet you'll likely not be able to make it useful at too small of an iso. any computers too small to run it are definitely going to have trouble manipulating any photos, the scratch disk alone is going to be ram prohibitive. applying filters is going to take years to accomplish. if you make a small iso please don't go smaller on the main one.
now to go in the opposite direction, this wouldn't be my main Puplet, more of a workshop I put in when I needed to work on something. you can strip all the other stuff out of it. I don't need games, calculators, etc. just give me tools for photos/art, something like Scribus for publishing, a browser is optional, and a small media player ( I like to rock out while doing photofinishing :lol: B-52's today! :roll: )

now a question or two. about the wallpaper, please give me a target size and resolution to aim at. my monitor is 1440x900 but I figure you'll want something a bit smaller. I can make it in several sizes and make them available to anyone wanting higher resolution.
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

puppyiso

#36 Post by puppyiso »

37fleetwood, I do not know if I understood you correctly but what I am saying is that it would be nice to have one or two separate versions as a "special version", or "extra version" BESIDES the regular or original version.

I have no intention of downsizing regular PAW because computers nowadays comes with 1GB RAM minimum. My wife bought a Toshiba notebook with 2GB RAM nearly 2 years ago in the US. So it is quite normal to use PAW as is.

I am not saying .45cal should be 9mm. I am not confusing 1911A with Sigsauer. .45 is good but mine is 9mm. I would like to have 9mm for my gun. Simple If I walk into a gunshop and the dealer recommends me a small SW for backup, I wouldn't dump my trusty 12" GP100. I just want to have an EXTRA.

Wings 3D is such a small program and doesn't require huge memory.

It just didn't work when I tried so I hope to have a puppy just with that.

And I use windows photoshop with WINE everyday. So wine+wings are all I need.

I

oktinkerbell

#37 Post by oktinkerbell »

I could not pass up making a pic for this one considering I was the inspiration for this awesome OS..got to love my hubby..so here is my simple background idea..

puppyluvr

#38 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jamesbond

#39 Post by jamesbond »

puppyluvr, don't worry about the cinepaint. gimp will do now, I suppose - and thanks for that already !

I just got the chance to run this on my nvidia desktop, and to my great surprise, it works great ! I don't have 3D acceleration at the moment (I tried to install it from 3DCC but the it gave me an error), but the default driver chosen by xorgwizard, the nv driver, works fine !

I can run everything in the Graphics menu (including Wings3D, Blender3D), no problem.

Now, for minor details:
1. Xara Xtreme starts with an error message. This is because of an error in the /usr/share/applications/xaralx.desktop. There is a line inside that file which says:

Code: Select all

Exec=xaralx %f
It should be

Code: Select all

Exec=xaralx
(No %f at the end)

2. Upon starting, I saw 6 hda partitions on my desktop, while in fact I only have 4. I guess this is a left over from re-mastering? (I don't know how to fix this as I've never done any remasters ...)

3. Running Terragen in wine, if I click the 3D icon on the left navigation bar, it will crash X and I'm back at the terminal. Perhaps because I don't have my 3D driver installed.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

puppyluvr

#40 Post by puppyluvr »

@jamesbond,
Thanks, I keep missing that...I`ll get the little details cleaned up before the final release.
As for the partitions, I doubt its a remnant of remastering, as I have only 3 partitions!!!...However, Hotpup has been piling up the icons on the machines I test on..Maybe need to investigate further...

Currently, for RC-2 I`ve added the GAP, Gimp Animation plug-in....Wow is this thing cool.. :D

@As for Terragen... :oops: I forgot to post this...Do not try to preview in 3D...that button just kills X..I have full 3D accel., GL, ect...same problem....If I remember right, its an X-Windows thing....There is a thread concerning Terragen itself...

Glad to hear good feedback about everything working OK so far, as my own testing facility`s are limited..And some of the software I have no idea (yet LOL) how to use.
Basically now I`m trying to "clean up" a lot af stuff..Replacing duplicated Libs with Symlinks, ect....Trying to "lighten the load"...Getting the big stuff was easy, its the details that take time...

When I get back to rebuilding my other Pups, Buddapup and Icepup, whose rebirths/updates were delayed by HDD failure, they will benefit greatly from the experience of building PAW....I guess it all works out in the end...

.Building this has been an amazing learning experience for me..
Thank You :D to anyone who uses it.....

@@@ RC-2 coming shortly..@@@