Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 18:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Microsoft buys Opera. Or maybe not...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 08:11    Post subject:  Microsoft buys Opera. Or maybe not...  

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2108

Crying or Very sad This will mean Grafpup will have to change or use the last free Opera. Google were after it too . . .

Now it becomes clear why we do not (as far as possible - in fact I am not aware of any) use closed source proprietrary selleable code. Can not blame Opera guys for making money but what MS often does is not develop a product but buy it to stop it competing. However they will no doubt find that Opera is FAR better than their browser
[shrug] I dunno these MS guys are sharks.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 09:45    Post subject:  

Maybe it won't be so bad, Bill Gates has become a better person since he got married.
cplater

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 09:49    Post subject:  

I read via slashdot that John C. Dvorak suggested MS should by Opera. While possible, it seem more likely this rumor was a result of the buzz the article generated. Some think Mr. Dvorak is brilliant, but I recall when he pronouced USB dead. Could still happen though.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 10:34    Post subject:  

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe it won't be so bad, Bill Gates has become a better person since he got married.

I have no problem with Bill Gates. He is a nerd. He gives billions to worthwhile charities. One day in a state of marital bliss he might make MS open source (no not likely - ah well) It is Steve Ballmer and the marketing people, they are the driving force and perversion within MS - they are ruthless to a degree that is verging on the psychotic (I know, I crossed over into la-la land many years ago . . .) probably fueled by cocaine or hormonal imbalance in Steve Ballmers case. Is that unkind - maybe. I believe Tux needs teeth - poor Tux.

Most of my computing has been on a PC running Windows (when I saw Windows 1, that is when I realised this was the future, the OS came bundled with Pagemeaker and ran on a 286) at the time I was using GEM in preference to a command line (DOS)

All this year I have been increasingly and now practically 100% using Puppy. This is pragmatism. Puppy is more reliable , secure, fun etc. For years I felt my OS (and thus my computer) was being increasingly taken away from me and being run by and for MS . . .

Puppy has brought me a flowering. My computer is mine again. Smile

ndujoe1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 12:10    Post subject:  

AMEN!

quote="Lobster"][quote="Anonymous"]Maybe it won't be so bad, Bill Gates has become a better person since he got married.[/quote]

I have no problem with Bill Gates. He is a nerd. He gives billions to worthwhile charities. One day in a state of marital bliss he might make MS open source (no not likely - ah well) It is Steve Ballmer and the marketing people, they are the driving force and perversion within MS - they are ruthless to a degree that is verging on the psychotic (I know, I crossed over into la-la land many years ago . . .) probably fueled by cocaine or hormonal imbalance in Steve Ballmers case. Is that unkind - maybe. I believe Tux needs teeth - poor Tux.

Most of my computing has been on a PC running Windows (when I saw Windows 1, that is when I realised this was the future, the OS came bundled with Pagemeaker and ran on a 286) at the time I was using GEM in preference to a command line (DOS)

All this year I have been increasingly and now practically 100% using Puppy. This is pragmatism. Puppy is more reliable , secure, fun etc. For years I felt my OS (and thus my computer) was being increasingly taken away from me and being run by and for MS . . .

Puppy has brought me a flowering. My computer is mine again. :)[/quote]
MU

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 15:06    Post subject:  

Quote:
Update: Opera recently confirmed that Microsoft has not approached the browser maker and there is no active acquistion deal between the two companies currently

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2108
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 16:30    Post subject:  

tsk tsk

. . . maybe not everything you read on the Internet is true . . .
LOL - thanks Mark - I am very glad to hear that. Opera is a fantastic browser, IMO better than Firefox BUT it is closed souce. Firefox can and will improve. And its add on and extensions and XUL language basis make it far more fexible

jcagle

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 23:17    Post subject:  

I've been following the Opera situation.

First, there were rumors of Google buying Opera. Then, there were rumors of Microsoft buying Opera.

I don't think another company will be buying Opera anytime soon. The CEO of Opera even said Opera was "his baby". Insiders at Opera have said that Opera is not for sell. So I have my doubts that Opera will be sold to anyone anytime soon.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2005, 23:51    Post subject:  

Many thanks Joe,

Well you know what they say at the Opera . . .

"It ain't over till the fat lady sings"

Sorry to add to the confusion and misinformation. Sometimes you are cutting edge news. Sometimes a memes (viral information). Embarassed

Mostly I am befuddled and deluded. Good thing we have smarter Pups to put me right Smile

jcagle

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec 2005, 00:27    Post subject:  

Well I got the newsfeed myself (from OS News, I think) and read the article. I started a thread about it on the grafpup board to discuss the possibility and what it means to the Linux community, however, it appears that there is no possibility of this happening.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: