Eee Control for the Eeepc 900

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dawnsboy

Eee Control for the Eeepc 900

#1 Post by dawnsboy »

have setup my Eeepc 701 with the ability to change fan speed and to overclock the cpu from the default setting of 630MHz. I added the ability to control fan speed by installing Dougal's package eee-fan-0.2.pet found on this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34886

I added the ability to overclock the cpu and to return the cpu to stock speed by adding two additional scripts to /usr/bin.

With the help of forum user jakfish I have created an additional app for the Eeepc 900. This is only for the model of the Eeepc 900 series with the Intel Celeron M 900MHz processor that is set at 630MHz by default with 70MHz fsb (same as Eeepc 701).

jakfish wrote, tested and made available two additional scripts for underclocking the Eeepc 901 to 360MHz and resuming normal clock speed. I have added this capability to the original GUI application and created a new tar.gz package for the Eeepc 900.

Due to interest on the part of Puppy Linux users at the eeeuser forum I made a very basic gui for manual execution of these scripts from the desktop. A screenshot of the gui is attached to this post.

I made a tar.gz package of all the necessary files including the scripts from Dougal's pet package, the scripts that I added, two additional scripts contributed by jakfish, a gui app, an icon and an eeecontrol.desktop file. This is also attached at the end of this post. Just extract it to / and refresh menus. The application will appear in the System folder of the menu.

I attempted to make a .pet package of this using pet maker. It appeared to work but when attempting to install on a clean system I received an error message regarding failure to expand as eeecontrol.tar.gz. I will have to study that and attempt a package in the near future.

As Dougal pointed out in his original post make sure to install eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet from the Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159
before attempting to use Eee Control.

Also, be sure to load the eee module or it will not work. Do this by executing "modprobe eee" without the quotation marks. This line may be added to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to load the module on boot.

I hope that is found to be of use to some of you Eeepc 900 users out there.
Attachments
eeecontrol900rev1.png
Screen shot of updated Eee Control 900 rev1 tar.gz package
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 2812 times
eeecontrol900rev1.tar.gz
Revised version of Eee Control 900 for the Eeepc. Changes include gtk-blue icons and a seperate icon folder.
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
Last edited by dawnsboy on Sun 12 Apr 2009, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

jakfish

#2 Post by jakfish »

I have put these scripts through their paces, jumping from speed to speed, and not one crash so far.

Yesterday, in my underclock testing, I did not get the colored screen of death--but once, and I don't know why, the screen froze and I had to restart X. But nothing like that today.

Well, well done, dawnsboy, and we 900 users are especially grateful that you took the time to take care of the relatives as well as the immediate family :)

Jake

NB: I'm using 4.1.3 and so don't have all the icons that 4.2 has. For "exit24.png," I used "x24.png," an X-shaped icon.

But in 4.1.3, there's no replacement for "greypuplogo24.png"

Also, there seems to be no icon at all for the desktop icon. Can you suggest one?

JF

dawnsboy

#3 Post by dawnsboy »

PostPosted: Today, at 15:17 Post subject:
I have put these scripts through their paces, jumping from speed to speed, and not one crash so far.

Yesterday, in my underclock testing, I did not get the colored screen of death--but once, and I don't know why, the screen froze and I had to restart X. But nothing like that today.

Well, well done, dawnsboy, and we 900 users are especially grateful that you took the time to take care of the relatives as well as the immediate family Smile

Thanks for the positive comments. I am glad to be of service. Even if we are the only ones that use the application it will have been worth it. :D
NB: I'm using 4.1.3 and so don't have all the icons that 4.2 has. For "exit24.png," I used "x24.png," an X-shaped icon.

But in 4.1.3, there's no replacement for "greypuplogo24.png"

Also, there seems to be no icon at all for the desktop icon. Can you suggest one?
It dawned on me a little late that there might be some icon issues between the different 2.6.25.16 operating systems. I am going to switch the icon themes to a matching blue gtk icon set in their own folder with edited .desktop files and menu icon. I will upload these soon.

In the meantime I will attach the missing icons from your package to this post.

Regards
Attachments
greypuplogo24.png
greypuplogo icon for gui application. Place this icon in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 2815 times
exit24.png
Icon for application exit button. Place this icon in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 2939 times
configuration16.png
Icon for eeecontrol menu entry. Place this icon in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 2749 times

dawnsboy

Eee Control 900 REV1

#4 Post by dawnsboy »

I decided to add a folder for the Eee Control program at /usr/share/eeecontrol. I placed all needed icons in that folder and adjusted the gui script accordingly. This will ensure that all users have the icons needed for the interface.

mawebb88

Eee Control for the Eeepc 901

#5 Post by mawebb88 »

Sorry I missed this topic and have posted the same question in your 701 thread. Does your Controls work with the 901?

Rgds Mike

dawnsboy

#6 Post by dawnsboy »

Sorry I missed this topic and have posted the same question in your 701 thread. Does your Controls work with the 901?

Rgds Mike
Mike I answered your post over in the 701 thread but will quote it here:
This software will work with Eeepc 701 and 900 models as they have the Intel Celeron M 900MHz processor set at 630MHz by default with a 70MHz. The Eeepc 901 was delivered with the Intel Atom processor set at 1.6MHz. So this software will not work with your system.

It possible however to overclock your pc. I will look into it and see if it is something that I can do for you.
I do not have the ability to test an overclock script on your system Mike but it is possible to overclock your pc. When I get time I will check out the possibility of posting a script for you to test on your unit.