MiPup2 - New Puplet

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

MiPup2 Shutdown/IceWM Patch

#21 Post by tazoc »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Thanks, so you reboot, then poweroff before it comes back on?
No I let it reboot when creating a pup_save.2fs the first time, because if I do a shutdown from pfix=ram then sometimes the /etc/rc.shutdown script misbehaves or drops to command line.

I still can't figure out why reboot works normally and sometimes shutdown is flaky, but here is a patch to several files that worked three shutdowns in a row for me. I tested it with MiPup2.6-412, booted with pfix=ram, installed the patch, restarted X Windows and then shutdown normally, saving my session to a pup_save, powered up all the way back to the desktop and shutdown twice more, no hiccups.

The patch changes code in /usr/bin/starticewm:

Code: Select all

. /root/.icewm/startup
exec icewm
also in /sbin/poweroff and /root/.icewm/startup. It includes /usr/sbin/freememapplet-tray for the IceWM taskbar tray and blinky also, if connected to the net as usual.

I can't guarantee that the problem won't recur, but it seems to help. If not you can uninstall the patch with PetGet.
-TazOC
Attachments
MiPup2ShutdownFix-412.pet
Shutdown/IceWM patch for MiPup2.6-412
Restart X Windows after installing
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

toomuchcomputertime

#22 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Here is a shutdown fix hopefully....

Please let me know if it works.
Attachments
MiPup2Shutdownfix.pet
(740 Bytes) Downloaded 472 times

cagliostro

#23 Post by cagliostro »

Shutdown script seems to work, though I only just found this entry yesterday. Haven't had too much time to test it, but it seems pretty decisive in shutting down the computer.

This shutdown problem has existed in IceWM, such as when people installed it themselves. Can you say how you resolved this, in terms that novice users might understand?

Also I presume you're aware of the article on puplets a couple of weeks ago at http://www.desktoplinux.com. It points out the advantages of using MiPup2.

boczkowski

#24 Post by boczkowski »

cagliostro wrote:Also I presume you're aware of the article on puplets a couple of weeks ago at http://www.desktoplinux.com. It points out the advantages of using MiPup2.
yeah, that's the rave review I mentioned in this thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40877

Glad I found this thread. Has anyone tried a frugal install on an XP running machine?

MiPup looks great for my needs (wants?) but I might need Windoze at times too. I'm interested in maintaining my normal XP install on an old Tosh Laptop with 256mb of RAM.

Any advice peeps??

cagliostro

#25 Post by cagliostro »

I read your other post. If you have problems with the live CD and things locking up after minimal use, then it suggests a shortage of RAM. You are right on the edge with MiPup2, with its 206 MB ISO (and I mean right on the edge). Remember Puppy 420 is only 100 MB.

A frugal install is like running from the live CD, with everything going into RAM. I'd suggest testing other puplets, Standard Puppy 4.1.2 or Puppy 4.20, running them from a live CD. This will give you an idea of the expected performance.

If you want to do a full hard disk install of MiPup2, I'd suggest following the advice from the Ubuntu guide. Use Perfect Disk to defragment your XP install. Use the Windows program Snapshot to make a complete image of your XP install, so it can be restored in minutes in case anything goes wrong. Then you can load the Puppy CD and use GParted to make suitable partitions, including a swap partion. The Puppy universal installer will do the rest.

boczkowski

#26 Post by boczkowski »

right
that makes sense (I think)

The main appeal was the fact that WINE is already in the installation which is a massive bonus for me. I hve used many live CD's and have tried a few installs on previous desktops (Puppy, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis, Antix, Austrumi...all aaaaages ago, all on old hardware that was cabled to a router or on dial up) Puppy is good in my experience. Regardless of distro, I have always had issues installing applications under linux. Why you can't just click on it and it get on with it I don't know, anyway, I really want WINE in the distro - to synaptic, no RPM, just, there.

The other option that I'm aware of is SLAX, which enable me to build up modules, one of which can include WINE. BUT, SLAX needs 300+mb of RAM to run in RAM, which it does great on my wifes laptop. Shame.

I guess what I was asking, really is is it possible to do a frugal install and create a partition to be used as RAM, like when you do a full disk install (I've seen this in Antix and Mepis) I can't recall what it calls this partition now, ut what I essentially did was set aside 1gb of the hard drive to be used as RAM (extra RAM?) Oh, SWAP, swap file is it?
Is it possible to go frugal and use a swap partition that has been set up prior to the ISO/frugal set up??

I don't do anything heavy duty, but I need to access a few Windows apps that are to do with writing screenplays and novels (not word processors) from Linux.

Advice anyone?

cagliostro

#27 Post by cagliostro »

Sorry for the delay, but I've had problems getting on the forum. (I think local. Some AT&T employees are renegotiating their contracts, and deliberately sabotaged a couple of switching terminals near here.)

I think someone can answer your questions, but please post them on the beginners forum where other will see them and respond. You want to use the hard drive to mimic RAM, and I don't know if increasing the swap partition will do that.

I appreciate what you're saying, that you want the convenience of having software already installed as in MiPup2. What you want to do is try out Wine and see if it supports your Windows programs. I know the feeling. May I suggest:

1) In this forum--Puppy Derivatives--post a query whether there is a puplet with Wine and Firefox already installed, one with an ISO of only 150 MB. Later you can add the GIMP using a PET package by just clicking on it. There must be something out there.

2) If all else fails... Download a PET of Wine 1.1.17 (or of Wine 1.1.18 if it is available). Start up Puppy 4.1.2 or 4.2 from a CD. It will load in memory. Click on the Wine PET package, wait a bit while it installs. Test it. At this point you could even click on the Remaster ISO script, and create your own ISO with Wine installed. You will create a smaller ISO if you do this before you have created a pup_save.2fs file. If you install Wine yourself you may have to set up the run action, so that when you click on an "exe" file Wine runs it.

toomuchcomputertime

#28 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

I guess what I was asking, really is is it possible to do a frugal install and create a partition to be used as RAM, like when you do a full disk install (I've seen this in Antix and Mepis) I can't recall what it calls this partition now, ut what I essentially did was set aside 1gb of the hard drive to be used as RAM (extra RAM?) Oh, SWAP, swap file is it?
Is it possible to go frugal and use a swap partition that has been set up prior to the ISO/frugal set up??
Briefly, unmount as many partitions of your hard drive as you can, or boot on a live cd.

Then go to the system menu and select Gparted. Shrink a partition, and turn the extra space into a Linux-swap file system, puppy should find it and use it as ram automatically.

boczkowski wrote:

caglistro wrote:
Also I presume you're aware of the article on puplets a couple of weeks ago at http://www.desktoplinux.com. It points out the advantages of using MiPup2.

yeah, that's the rave review I mentioned in this thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40877
That is neat, I just noticed that recently. Thanks to everyone in the puppy community for creating puppy and puppy packages. :D