Puppy on VMWare 4.5?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Mathiasdm

Puppy on VMWare 4.5?

#1 Post by Mathiasdm »

I'm trying to get Puppy to work on VMWare, but it doesn't seem to work out.
I've formatted the virtual hard drive as ext3, but get errors.

1. Puppy can't find the harddrive.
2. Puppy can't find usr_cram.fs

It's rather annoying and I don't know how to fix it :?

#2 Post by Guest »

Puppy boots from the Live CD on Virtual PC with no problems. What hardware does VMWare emulate?

hawk

Mathiasdm

#3 Post by Mathiasdm »

When loading Knoppix in VMWare., it mentions all of my normal hardware. The only thing different is the hard drive (it's a virtual hard drive).
In other distributions, the hard drive is called sda1. Perhaps that's why it can't be detected by puppy?

jimbo

#4 Post by jimbo »

Does Puppy boot from the Live CD on the host PC? If VMWare uses all of the host computer hardware except the hard drive, this should give you some clues.

jimbo

mthorley

#5 Post by mthorley »

I am having the same problem, but as of yet have no solution.

mdd

Puppy on VMWare

#6 Post by mdd »

It's working fine for me. You have to set the disk type as IDE. I first set it up to boot from the ISO, then installed using the Puppy scripts. Worked without a hitch. I've got the networking set to NAT, 1GB RAM devoted to the VM, and the VM type is set to "Other Linux"

--MDD

mdd

VMWare

#7 Post by mdd »

Also, the disk is formatted ext2 (type 83), if I recall correctly. I used the Grub script to install the bootloader, btw.

--MDD

mdd

VMWare 5 -- Perl would help

#8 Post by mdd »

One problem I've encountered with VMWare (the only problem, so far) is that, in order to install the VMWare tools, which dramatically enhances what you can do in the VM, you need to have Perl, since all the install scripts are .pl files.

Any idea if or when anyone is going to add a PupGet or DotPup package for Perl?

--MDD

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

i could make and upload a perl package anytime

i have perl installed in my-applications, with a few symlinks ... the only symlink it really needs is /usr/bin/perl, because perl scripts usually look there for perl ... so i was wondering whether to register that symlink with PupGet ... all you would have to do to "reinstall" perl would be to type perl to reinstall the symlinks ... but perl cgi programs would stop working until you remembered to do it ... so maybe i should register the symlink so it doesn't get removed

i could put perl in /usr or in my-applications ... should run either way

perl scripts that use gnu-utils might not work quite right using busybox's replacements

of course, an unleashed package would automatically be registered with PupGet, and could be included in an Unleashed iso

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Puppy 1.0.3 has Perl as a PupGet package.

Earlier versions could download it directly from ibiblio.

mdd

#11 Post by mdd »

Thanks. I had already installed Active State Perl, and tried to install the VMWare tools. The install script runs, but it coughs when it asks me to specify the ridectory where rc.0...rc.4 directories are located. I tried specifying /etc/rc.d, but that didn't work.

--MDD

MisterOdo

Re: VMWare

#12 Post by MisterOdo »

mdd wrote:Also, the disk is formatted ext2 (type 83),
--MDD
I had the same problems, I did as follows,

1 You have first boot from the iso file, after the failed setup
2 make a partition # fdisk /dev/hda , create part + swap partition.
3 format part # mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda1
4 make swapfile mkswap /dev/hda2
3 copy usr_cramfs to the home dir
mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
cp /mnt/cdrom/usr_cramfs /mnt/home/.

reboot partiotions are mounted automatically and follow he setup screens

#13 Post by Guest »

Mathiasdm wrote:When loading Knoppix in VMWare., it mentions all of my normal hardware. The only thing different is the hard drive (it's a virtual hard drive).
In other distributions, the hard drive is called sda1. Perhaps that's why it can't be detected by puppy?
Set the drive to IDE when you make your virtual machine.

Mr Doolie

#14 Post by Mr Doolie »

mdd wrote:Thanks. I had already installed Active State Perl, and tried to install the VMWare tools. The install script runs, but it coughs when it asks me to specify the ridectory where rc.0...rc.4 directories are located. I tried specifying /etc/rc.d, but that didn't work.

--MDD
That part is easy to fix. Just make folders called rc0.d through rc6.d in /etc/rc.d.
The big "cough" comes later. It says something like "VMWare tools does not work with this kernal. Would you like to compile a new version?". Then it looks for a compiler and stuff.