1.0.2 & 1.0.3: Cant install open office 1.1.4 & othe

Booting, installing, newbie

1.0.2 & 1.0.3: Cant install open office 1.1.4 & othe

#1 Post by Guest »

i cant seem to install open office 1.1.4 in puppy but installs on lormalinux. checksum is correct, burned at 4x, and used 2 completely different brands of cdrs, still wont install, i know i have the right command, and im root. im trying to install the tar.gz. i would really appreciate any help i can get. thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: 1.0.2 & 1.0.3: Cant install open office 1.1.4 &

#2 Post by Lobster »

Anonymous wrote:i cant seem to install open office 1.1.4 in puppy but installs on lormalinux. checksum is correct, burned at 4x, and used 2 completely different brands of cdrs, still wont install, i know i have the right command, and im root. im trying to install the tar.gz. i would really appreciate any help i can get. thanks.
It is not that simple. Open Office is dependent on Java and other libraries that will not be on your system. As far as I know Andy Figuero has got Open Office working with Puppy. Maybe you can beg him to create a DotPup or a special fat Pup? (send him a private message by clicking on the memberlist.

Puppy is not designed to run large programs like Open Office but what of it . . .
You want it - you can get it . . . or do it . . .

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

yeah, i also downloaded the java for linux from java.com, as for the other libraries, if only i know what libs it needs, i tried going to openoffice.org but cant seem to find them. anyway, thanks lobster for your help. i just need to set up an openoffice so me & my dad doesnt have to deal with windows and its trojans. programs included with puppy are great but we both need a more powerful office suite. anyway, i guess i'll just do some googling and see what i can find, maybe i can post it here so interested individuals would be able to install openoffice on their machine.

one more thing, i saw in the developers page that puppy is based on mandrake 9, so does that mean that i cant install rpms downloaded from redhat or those with .deb extensions?

anyway thank you for your time in answering my questions. More power to puppy!

daxumaming

#4 Post by daxumaming »

On the OO website, System Requirements, I saw that OO needs GLibc 2.2.x, JDK/JRE and Gnome 2.2. I never tried installing OO on my system, but I'm thinking of doing it. Let me try doing it and I'll post the results here.
Lobster's right, we should create an OO dotPup. My brothers and sisters also needs OO's functionality and influence them not to use the highly popular, expensive & unstable, MS Office. Welcome to the Dark Side!

Hey Andy Figuero, maybe you could post in this thread what you did to get OO to work on puppy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Anonymous wrote:
one more thing, i saw in the developers page that puppy is based on mandrake 9, so does that mean that i cant install rpms downloaded from redhat or those with .deb extensions?

anyway thank you for your time in answering my questions. More power to puppy!
There is a dotpup for downloading and expanding rpm's and deb files - again that does not mean they will run because they are designed for Debian and Red Fat

As for Puppy being based on Mandrake . . .
The first Pup used components taken directly out of Red Hat and was compiled on that - then it was restarted from scratch.
Mandrake was used for compiling
and now Vector Linux has that distinction . . . :)
there is a web page describing this on Barrys Puppy Site - somewhere . . . :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

It's at the bottom of this page.

Bruce B

It works

#7 Post by Bruce B »

I'm sorry to defy conventional wisdom, but I installed OpenOffice 1.1.4 in Puppy with a type 1 install. It works great.

OpenOffice was a 200 MB install, so I put it outside the pup file on an ext2 partition. Maybe I used a multi-user or -net option, I don't remember for sure.

After it's installed, run the ./setup file to set the necessary user files inside the pupfile. It only uses a few megabytes.

It made a directory called /root/OpenOffice. The executable is soffice, inside the directory. You can use rox and drag an icon to the desktop.

Of course you can make menu items and symlinks also.

As far as Java is concerned, according to my understanding, some (not necessary) features are not available without Java. Otherwise it works.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Anonymous wrote: i just need to set up an openoffice so me & my dad doesnt have to deal with windows and its trojans. programs included with puppy are great but we both need a more powerful office suite.
Pup 1.0.4 will have Gnumeric ...we're getting there!
It's getting to be a pretty good "suite" in Puppy... Abiword, Gnuemeric, ical, Dia, Sodipodi, mtpaint, Quisp.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B, that's very interesting that OO worked for you -- what binary tarball was it? where from?

I just had a totally off-the-wall thought ...200M ...hmm, so that would be about 100M compressed. Why not install it to /opt, then make all of /opt into a squashfs file opt_cram.fs. Then, place it on the hard drive (or CD) where Puppy will find it at bootup. For the last few versions, the bootup script rc.sysinit looks for a file named opt_cram.fs, in same places as usr_cram.fs, if found, mounts it on /opt.

Then, even more off-the-wall, if the PC has lots of RAM, say 512M, and a Linux swap partition, why can't rc.sysinit copy opt_cram.fs into "/" then mount it on /opt, so we may get some decent speed out of OO.

...how about that for a fun project! :D

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

Barry, to be more precise it's actually a 199MB install with 4817 files and 240 directories.

It is the standard tarball from openoffice.org. It can be installed in any directory and / or Linux partition on the system. It can also be used by other Linux OSs and users on the system and I presume the network also.

Each user goes to the directory where OO is installed and runs the setup file to setup the necessary files to run it from the main directory.

In other words, each computer needs only one OO installed and all users and other Linux versions would use the same OO.

bugman

#11 Post by bugman »

Since there's people talking about dbs in here, I might as well ask:

I want to switch totally to Puppy. I love it. Tried RH, Mandrake, DSL, Ubuntu (well, the disk's in the mail but I gather it's gonna overwhelm my PC), and Puppy's the best! Plus, my cats hate dogs so they leave me alone when I'm on the computer now...

I currently use HomeBase, a free version of Access, to catalogue books (usually between 5-10,000 records, maybe 20 fields), and can use and understand Access itself as well. I have to upload files in UIEE (special book db format) or tab-delim to sites like Abebooks, Alibris, Biblio, Amazon.

Additionally, I'm considering re-opening my own site, with MySQL or some other backend. But NOT serving it on an old computer with dialup access and running Puppy as root...

Quisp? Can it do any of this? Can I use it as a regualr db? Can I stick it on a commercial server? From what I've seen, the way it formats files ("_" for spaces, with space-delimiting) means a bunch of search-and-replace in Beaver every time I want to upload files.

Other Linux dbs? MySQL? I don't understand how some of them work, as Access is put together seamlessly so that you never see servers and clients. I've searched for an explanation of the basics but nothing has sunk in.

Or am Ibetter off using Gnumeric? It'll work (sort of) for a desktop db, does tab-delim, but will it export anything a commercial server with MySQL can use?

Thanks!