Merry Christmas!

News, happenings
raffy

Merry Christmas!

#1 Post by raffy »

Puppy Linux has always been a serious contender for the PC desktop, although a number of enthusiasts like to refer to version 1.03 as the beginning of a very usable and stable Puppy. In July, the release of version 1.04 that included Open Office further boosted Puppy's popularity. By the start of October, it became the featured Linux distribution at distrowatch.com, and is constantly earning praises up to this day.

People who are no longer writing praises for Puppy are actively contributing to its development and promotion, and are visible in the many Puppy pages. In November, Puppy's creator Barry Kauler founded a new home for Puppy and its new organization, the Puppy Linux Foundation. The many sites devoted to Puppy are now indexed at pupweb.org, where Barry is also keeping his diary of Puppy's development. News about the Puppy community is always updated at the Puppy Wiki.

The feverish activities for Puppy are therefore literally everywhere, and this seeming focus on work by the enthusiasts may impress on readers that people are missing fun with Puppy. The truth is of course the opposite - people tend to miss the bigger fun around them as working with Puppy is fun in itself!

So before we forget, let us remember the upcoming occasions and greet each other MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

working with Puppy is fun in itself!
Yep. I can guarantee that I wouldn't still be here if I thought helping the Anti-Gates was boring. :twisted:

FYI, this is going to be my last post until January 3rd or so. Until then, I'm going to be visiting my dad back at the farm in Minnesota.
So, I'm going to say my happies now.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, AND Happy End of Semester!

[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Hey Pizza, wish you lot of fun there :)
Looking forward to read you again in january :)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS and lots of bones for all puppians!

Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Yeah guys, have fun.
See the Developer News for December 21st, re Puppy Xmas pressie.

pakt

#6 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote: See the Developer News for December 21st, re Puppy Xmas pressie.
Looking forward to it :D

Merry Christmas everyone!

Paul

edoc

#7 Post by edoc »

BarryK wrote:Yeah guys, have fun.
See the Developer News for December 21st, re Puppy Xmas pressie.
BarryK wrote:21-Dec-05
I'm thinking that Pup 1.0.7beta will be out by Christmas eve. So, for those who do the opening presents thing on xmas morning, while the kids open their pressies, Puppy enthusiasts can download a new Pup to play with.
Hooray! Now I know it will be a fun Christmas! Giggle!
BarryK wrote:Roaring Penguin PPPOE has been upgraded from version 3.5 to 3.7. Also, I edited the source a little, to hopefully make it more Puppy-compatible, but not yet tested.
Could you explain the value of Roaring Penguin PPPOE to a Puppy-challenged user like me, please? I visited their site and read this
this open-source product is ideal for Linux users with a DSL "modem" whose Internet service provider uses PPPoE. Before you download this software, check whether or not you really need it. If your ISP uses PPPoE, but has given you a router, you may not need a PPPoE client on your Linux box. DHCP may work fine.
Verizon provides a WireSpeed modem (they provide one with an integrated router to new users but I do not have one). I purchased and am using a combo wired & wireless NetGear router.

What would be the advantage of Roaring Penguin PPPOE over the hardware NetGear (or equivalent) router, please?

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Good question.
My router has a DHCP server, so no need for Roaring Penguin.

Maybe someone can explain to me in simple terms also, why RP PPPOE is used?
I think G2 did post something about this in another thread.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPPoE

dialup uses Point to Point Protocol (PPP)
you need some sort of protocol (standard way of connecting 2 computers)

dsl can use a diirect (bridge) connection, or it can use pppoe (Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet)

a bridge connection doesn't need an id or password

PPPOE is just like dialup ... you connect with an id and password

Roaring Penguin handles the connection ... it sends the id and password to the isp's computer (through your ethernet card which connects to the dsl modem) and sets up the connection

some dsl modems connect to your computer through the usb port instead of an ethernet card ... usb modems require software drivers and are not as easy to work with

if you have a router, it can setup and maintain the PPPOE connection instead of your computer having to do it ... the router will have the equivalent of Roaring Penguin running in the router ... in fact, routers are small computers with a cpu and ram ... you tell the router your id and password and it automatically connects to your isp using PPPOE when it's turned on

a router usually has a built in firewall ... the router probably has dhcp, which will automatically give your ethernet card an ip address, usually something like 192.168.0.2 ... you don't need to have or use dhcp, you can configure a static ip address yourself (the ethernet's ip address is not the same as your external internet address)

a router is the easiest way to connect to dsl using PPPOE ... just type in the id and password, and maybe the name of your isp ... and its all connected ... many live cd's will automatically setup an internet connection through your ethernet card when they boot ... with Puppy, you just click the ethernet wizard and Configure Eth0 using DHCP

if you have a dsl modem but no router, you have to tell Roaring Penguin your id and password and use it to connect to your isp ... you can't use the Roaring Penguin firewall, it's based on ipchains (i guess /etc/ppp/firewall-standalone could be a symlink to the morizot firewall) ... a router usually has it's own firewall in the router

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

Maybe someone can explain to me in simple terms also, why RP PPPOE is used?
PPPOE works just like dialup ... you connect using an id and password ... a direct bridge connection is not PPPOE

with dialup, you need a software program to connect ... to send the id and password and do handshaking stuff ... PPPOE is just like dialup ... you also need a software program to send the id and password and handle the connection

if you have a router, it is a small computer with cpu and ram and has a program like Roaring Penguin already installed ... you need to tell your router your id and password and the program in the router will handle the connection to your isp using the PPPOE protocol

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Thanks, G2. That was very clearly written except for one thing:
GuestToo wrote:... a router usually has a built in firewall ... the router probably has dhcp, which will automatically give your ethernet card an ip address, usually something like 192.168.0.2 ... you don't need to have or use dhcp, you can configure a static ip address yourself (the ethernet's ip address is not the same as your external internet address)
Maybe it's because I didn't sleep very well last night, but everything you said makes sense to me except that last sentence.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

advantages of a router:

it has a built in firewall
a firewall in the compter's operating system is more likely to be attcked by a virus or disabled if the operating system is corrupted or misconfigured

a router has a built in hub or switch, so you have an "instant" LAN (local area network ... you can connect 4 computers or more together through your router)

each computer connected to your router has an internet connection ... a direct connection to the internet through an ethernet card is trivially easy to setup (most Linux live cd's do it automatically when the cd boots)

once the router is configured (usually by typing your id and password on a web page), whenever you turn on the router, it automatically connects to your isp and stays connected

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

everything you said makes sense to me except that last sentence
your ethernet card will have a local ip address something like 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.169 or 10.0.0.2 ... this address only works on your LAN ... only devices (computers, printers ...) on your LAN can use this address to access your computer

another computer on the internet (WAN) can not access your computer using this address ... it's only a local address

your isp sets up your external internet address ... it will be an address something like 64.233.187.99 ... so if you have a web server running on your computer (for example, Apache or Puppy's NullHttpd), someone could look at the web pages on your web server by using the address http://64.233.187.99/ in their browser

you can find out your external internet address by going to a web page like
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I guess that explains the two IP numbers that I get when I run ipconfig in a Windows 2000 command console. (I have an internal, PCI card, cable modem which the computer sees as an ethernet card.)

raffy

Reserved IP addresses

#15 Post by raffy »

PCs connected to the internet use IP addresses, but some IP addresses are reserved for local networks, like 192.168.X.X and 10.0.X.X, the "internal" addresses, following G2's terminology.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Very interesting. Isn't Puppy an education. :)

My router has a firewall and two Windows computers (non Linux users - see my rant about my anti-Linux family)

Some questions:

Before setting up the internet connection I was hoping to use the router (router / model / firewall) to set up a LAN but was unsuccesful. It is almost as if the system is set up to connect to the Internet but not for local connection. However using the software settings it should be possible to have a shared hard disk locally?
(I was also trying to set this up with a switch and a second computer on my node. It could be my ineptitude) :oops:

Very occasionally the router has to be reset (turned off and started again) usually at the weekend. This is because no Internet conection is possible. It does not seem to be the ISP. What is the likely cause?

I did read that if you have a router firewall, then firewall software (especially for XP is not required). This seemed nonsense because most compromises seem to occur not from scanners trying to get in but existing software (trojans etc) including commercial software and XP itself, connecting out. Can this be clarified please?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

I was hoping to use the router (router / model / firewall) to set up a LAN but was unsuccesful.
your network probably is already setup
can you ping one computer from another? if you can, you have a network ... if you can't, it might be your firewall is blocking pings

to actually do something with your network, you have to set up something ... you need to setup file sharing if you want to share hard drive space ... you can run an http server or ftp server if you just want to transfer a few files (Puppy has both)
occasionally the router has to be reset
sometimes a router will crash

sometimes the lease expires on your connection and you are given a different ip address by your isp, unless you have a static ip address ... this can confuse your system

http://www.dslreports.com/faqnew
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq/5.%20Troubleshooting
I did read that if you have a router firewall, then firewall software (especially for XP is not required)
the router's firewall usually lets anything out ... it blocks most or all incoming traffic (other than replies to outgoing traffic) ... the router's firewall should stop most worms that try to get into Windows systems ... Puppy's Morizot firewall was configured about the same way as a router's firewall, to allow all outgoing traffic and to block all incoming traffic

you can run a software firewall too, if you want more control over your traffic

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

I think I will give it another go over the next month. :) Many thanks for the reply :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Ian »

I said it before in Misc but once again, Merry Christmas guys.

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Bit of a diversion from the topic above, Mr Moderator!
Notwithstanding, everyone here will want to join in a big thank you to Barry for his tireless efforts this year, not to mention his tolerance and good humour in personally attending to our ceaseless enquiries. Nobody deserves a break more than he does. Merry Christmas, Barry.

Just one small complaint: why do the Aussies get Christmas before the rest of us?!