How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2.x [Updated]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2.x [Updated]

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

[Updated] Read here instead.

For HPLIP devices, try the following:

1. Go here and install Patriot's hplipfw-p42-3.9.2-i486.

2. Then go here and install the cupsddk-1.2.3-i486.pet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[These are the original instructions]

1. Go here and get the CUPS 1.3.9 stable release package. Download it but do not install it yet.

2. Go here and get the cupsd.conf.zip download at the bottom of the page. Unzip it.

3. Go to a console and type:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/cups stop
4. Create a temporary folder needed by CUPS. Type:

mkdir /var/cache
Before continuing, verify that the folder /var/cache has been created. (If you have upgraded an existing pup_save file, you may already have this folder.)

5. Install the cups-1.3.9-i486.pet
You don't need to restart your computer.

6. Copy the file cupsd.conf from Step 2 into the folder /etc/cups. This will eliminate the annoying "woofwoof" logins.

7. Type:

/etc/init.d/cups start
8. Run the CUPS Printer Wizard and install a printer. Print a test page.

If your printer uses HPIJS, you must also do the following:

9. Install the HPIJS driver from the Puppy Package Manager. It is listed in the System category as hpijs-2.8.2_static-1.

10. Go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter
Locate the file foomatic-rip-hplip and open it in a text editor
Change the top line to #!/usr/bin/perl -U

11. Restart CUPS with

/etc/init.d/cups restart
[/url]
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 14 May 2009, 12:09, edited 8 times in total.

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

What would I gain by changing the CUPS in 4.2 please? Does 1.3.9 offer any advantages over 1.4? Specifically, does it cure the problem of CUPS hanging when trying to modify a printer?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Yes. And some other strange behaviours disappear too. Based on very limited testing, the combination of CUPS 1.3.9 and the other printing components in 4.2 looks stable.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Yes. And some other strange behaviours disappear too. Based on very limited testing, the combination of CUPS 1.3.9 and the other printing components in 4.2 looks stable.
OK. I followed your instructions with complete success. I can now modify my printer instead of having to re-install it when my router goes down due to power cut (its an HP Photosmart c4380 wifi printer) and assigns it a different ip address. The test page is different and seems better defined.
There were some install differences as I had previously installed Patriots(?) files to even get it to print at all, so /var/cache was already on my system.
The whole root/woofwoof thing has gone too. Thanks a million for this.
Mind, CUPS 1.42b can autodetect my printer, but 1.3.9 cannot.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

Dont work in 4.1.1 though :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that it's working. Your problem with back-porting to 4.1 may be a kernel issue.

So far, I've tested this with usb, smb and socket protocols, and with the HPIJS driver (using the -U fix). They all appear to be solid. And cupsd is running happily at 0% CPU.

jakfish

#7 Post by jakfish »

Hi, rcrsn51,

I'm still having a bear of a time getting any CUPS past 4.1.2's 1.1.23 version to work with the no-bling 4.2/4.1.2 pup_save file.

Your fine instructions/files in the post made CUPS work for a while, but after a couple of re-boots, I lost printing both via usb and samba (in CUPS 1.39, samba choice is now "unknown network").

Clearly, there's a problem with 4.1.2 pup_save and 4.2.

I have uninstalled all possible CUPS and tried to install 1.1.23, which does NOT install. My searching tells me that's because an updated samba version in 4.2 renders 1.1.23 obsolete. Is that correct?

If not, is it possible to install CUPS 1.1.23 in PL 4.2?

Thanks,
Jake

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

The problem with Linux printing is that there are so many interconnected parts - Ghostscript, Foomatic, Gutenprint, CUPS, etc. And they are not necessarily mix-and-match. Ttuuxxx did an excellent job getting them to mesh in 4.2. So I have no opinion on whether CUPS 1.1.23 can be installed into 4.2.

Is your current problem specifically with your "no-bling" version? Where did it come from? Can you still print in your full version?

Things that used to work and then stop working are always difficult to analyse.

jakfish

#9 Post by jakfish »

I figured it would be complicated. Since the full version is complicated in itself on the eee's small screen, I haven't much played with it and my 4.1.2 pup_save file.

I should go do that, though I was dismayed to discover that despite your great CUPS build and even better instructions, that printing eventually quit nonetheless in my eee. I wonder if that might not happen with the full version. I'll have to play with it and see.

Your explanation of how many moving parts Linux uses for printing is eye-opening. No wonder so many people have problems, and DIFFERENT problems. That's what makes even researching the causes so difficult.

So I'm much obliged for your help,
Jake

w6kkt

How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2

#10 Post by w6kkt »

rcrsn51, I followed your instructions and now my HPC3100 works great in Puppy4.2. My printer worked great using Puppy4.12, but when I upgraded to Puppy4.2 I could not get it to print, no matter how hard I tried. I think the hpijs driver is the same for both distros, so it must be the later Cups 1.3.9 that did it.
Many,many thanks
Respectfully,
Jesse "distro Jockey"

Intel e8600 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mb
ZeroTherm Nirvana NV-120 heatsink
8g E.Skill ram 4,4,4,16
2x160g hard drives
PC Pwr Cooling 750w pwr
Evga GTX 260-216 graphics

ecomoney

#11 Post by ecomoney »

thanks for reporting this...maybe something to consider for 4.2.1
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

w6kkt

How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Pup4.2

#12 Post by w6kkt »

rcrsn51, I wanted to find out why Cups 1.4/Puppy4.2 combo did not work with my HPC3100. I compared Cups 1.4 & 1.3.9 foomatic-rip-hplip files for differences. What I found was: "-U" was left out at the end of /usr/bin/perl file in Cups1.4. When I deleted the "-U" from 1.3.9 my printer stopped working. My fix for Puppy4.2 / Cups1.4 was to edit and add -U to to the end of #!/usr/bin/perl -U . Printing now works great using Puppy4.2/cups1.4, like it did when I was using Puppy4.12/cups1.3.9.

rcrcn51, thanks again, your post has helped much.
Respectfully,
Jesse "distro Jockey"

Intel e8600 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mb
8g E.Skill ram 4,4,4,16
2x160g hard drives
PC Pwr Cooling 750w pwr

WhoDo

Re: How to Install CUPS 1.3.9 in Pup4.2

#13 Post by WhoDo »

w6kkt wrote:I compared Cups 1.4 & 1.3.9 foomatic-rip-hplip files for differences. What I found was: "-U" was left out at the end of /usr/bin/perl file in Cups1.4. When I deleted the "-U" from 1.3.9 my printer stopped working. My fix for Puppy4.2 / Cups1.4 was to edit and add -U to to the end of #!/usr/bin/perl -U . Printing now works great using Puppy4.2/cups1.4, like it did when I was using Puppy4.12/cups1.3.9.
I'd like to implement this in CUPS-1.4.2 for the next release of Puppy-4.2.x but I can't find specifically where the change needs to be made. Can you humour an ignorant old man and be more specific about the file that needs the -U added to that line, please? Thanks in anticipation. 8){Marge, get me another Duff while I'm watchin' the WWE here!} :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

The file in question is contained in the various HPIJS/HPLIP printer driver packages. See Step 9 above. It is not part of Puppy 4.2 proper.

The need for the patch is explained in Patriot's CUPS 1.3.9 thread. Ultimately, it will be the responsibility of the maintainers of those packages to upgrade them.
I'd like to implement this in CUPS-1.4.2
Unless you have privileged information, there is no such thing. CUPS has been stuck on 1.4 Beta 2 since December.

w6kkt

How to Install Cups 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2

#15 Post by w6kkt »

WhoDo, File location: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip.
Edit top line to read; #!/usr/bin/perl -U

Puppy4.2 & Cups 1.4 on my computer left out the "-U"
Respectfully,
Jesse "distro Jockey"

Intel e8600 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mb
8g E.Skill ram 4,4,4,16
2x160g hard drives
PC Pwr Cooling 750w pwr

WhoDo

Re: How to Install Cups 1.3.9 in Puppy 4.2

#16 Post by WhoDo »

w6kkt wrote:WhoDo, File location: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip.

Puppy4.2 & Cups 1.4 on my computer left out the "-U"
Done! Thanks, w6kkt. 8)

@rcrsn51 - Yes, I just got lazy when describing the version of CUPS and yes it is a b2 version.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ecomoney

#17 Post by ecomoney »

'd like to implement this in CUPS-1.4 beta 2 for the next release of Puppy-4.2.x
(correction mine)

Did I read that correctly Whodo? You are planning to use a beta testing version of the printing system in the next Puppy? :shock:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

jackieflorida

#18 Post by jackieflorida »

w6kkt wrote:
WhoDo, File location: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip.
It works for me with my old HP Deskjet 3845 which went into error condition before making this edit.

Thanks w6kkt

HP-TQ-RPM

#19 Post by HP-TQ-RPM »

Go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter
Locate the file foomatic-rip-hplip and open it in a text editor
The only file I find is a symlink foomatic-rip (no -hplip), and a psearch for foomatic didn't locate anything with -hplip. Did I botch something in steps 1-7?

(And my HP Deskjet D4260 isn't working. :( )

Edit: I found this this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40913
Go to Menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager.
Select the System group and download the hpijs-2.8.2-static-1.pet
Installing this created the foomatic-rip-hplip file, which I was then able to edit.

After installing the hpjis.pet my printer works. :) :) The current CUPS setup does not show you the username & password needed for the final step of the printer setup. They are root & woofwoof.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan.....future ex-windows user.
Puppy 4.20 Frugal on Toshiba Satellite A45, WinXP/Puppy, 2.5GHz Celeron, 1GB Ram, 120GB HD, Sierra 811 Aircard via AT&T.

jackieflorida

#20 Post by jackieflorida »

TO: HP-TQ-RPM

See w6kkt's correction quoted in my post just above yours.