The sometimes necessary modem dial-up pppd fix for when:

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mcewanw

The sometimes necessary modem dial-up pppd fix for when:

#1 Post by mcewanw »

[Note that I feel that the following is critically important information, because without it some and perhaps many potential Linux users, who only have dial-up connections, may find that they can only connect to their ISPs using that "other operating system"..., and hence turn away from using Puppy and Linux more generally. I would request therefore that this information is made sticky or easily accessible somewhere and born in mind for future new Puppy releases]

Do you have a dial-up connection, but find that you cannot connect via Puppy Linux (or most any Linux distribution) but can connect via Microsoft windows OS-based machines? Is is a diabolical plot by your ISP perhaps, who says they don't support Linux machines? Perhaps.

For those suffering the above problem, the following may be the solution or at least a try (it worked for me; I was using old Puppy version 2.17.1) [thanks to P.McGavin (and dcheesem) of Slingshot ISP forum, NZ: http://forum.slingshot.co.nz/viewtopic. ... 7df#p22687] .

It appears that Microsoft Windows does not by default negotiate what is called pppd asyncmap values, but most Linux pppd dialup configurations attempt to do so automatically (which causes the above failure for the unlucky few or many who have an ISP with a poor or inflexible dial-up configuration). The solution for such a case is to force the Linux pppd daemon to use a default asyncmap value of 0. To do that simply:

1. Start your favourite text editor (for example, Geany or Leafpad) and open the file /etc/ppp/options for editing.

2. At the top of that file, add the following two lines and save the file:

Code: Select all

asyncmap 0
-am
The above two lines instruct the pppd daemon to use the default asyncmap given, which is what these dodgy ISP servers need. Dialing in via wvdial or gt dial or Xeznet or whatever should now work fine, assuming your modem has been detected correctly and you've entered the correct ISP details and so on.