Opinions please

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
astro4travel

Opinions please

#1 Post by astro4travel »

I am running the standard latest release of Puppy on my ancient box at this time. It runs better that any other light weight distro I have tried in the past. It doesn't break and is snappy and responsive. Great job guys! Now, I recently tried a live CD of BuddaPup Dingo. There is a lot of eye candy etc. My question is, does this use more resources and is it supported like regular Puppy is? In your opinion is this practical to use instead of regular Puppy? I know it can be a subjective thing, but just some feedback on the stability on BuddaPup Dingo would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Michael

brymway

#2 Post by brymway »

Opinions right? The latest 4.2 standard release was a collective effort by volunteers approved by the Puppy creater. It is the official release and would be more "supported" than any of the rest of the derivatives.

Buddapup is a puppy users derivative. I'm sure if you had any problems puppyluvr would come along side and help as it is his project, but with the members of this forum, if any of the heavy hitters know how to help you with a particular problem they usually don't hesitate to help.

As for using more resources, you be the judge. Does your computer operate in it's usually snappy way? Is it responsive? I think puppyluvr said it would run on a computer with 64 megs ram. Simple comparisons can be run by running the command

Code: Select all

htop
in both systems and then compare the amounts of ram and cpu registered in the readout. That would be one way to start finding out.

As for is it practical? You said it yourself, it's subjective. But puppyluvr is a solid user, very helpful to all, extremely generous with his time and has a good reputation. So his puplet is no doubt sound. But this is Linux. Every thing is subjective to the user. If you like Budda, use it till it breaks. Then find a fix for it. That's all we Linux users ever do. That's the nature of the open source beast. Then again, it also depends on your computer. Example: gxine crashes my computer every time. There is nothing wrong with gxine except that it doesn't work well with my computer. So I avoid systems with it or delete all paths to gxine and use something else instead.

If you like it, use it. Chances are after a few months, you'll be looking into how to make your own derivative anyway. We all do.... :D 8)
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

While the building of the 4.2 was on the way, there was a discussion that it contained too much bling, some said.
The bling can be de-activated in 4.2, but still it has two windows managers. Icewm and JWM. So indeed make a comparison on your PC.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

astro4travel

#4 Post by astro4travel »

Thanx for the replies. You are right in fact that I have used most Distros 'til they broke and I was alway's looking for a fix. :o I think that running the live CD, with 160MB of memory on my box may run slower as with a full install. It's one of those things where one has to try it.