Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Aitch

#301 Post by Aitch »

Well good luck in the future, dinky, & thanks for your efforts

I enjoyed reading your threads, & I'm sure you've left loads of people very happy with Ripplified PCs

Aitch :)

meridian_blue

#302 Post by meridian_blue »

Cheers Dinky...

There appears to be a live e17/compiz "ecomorph" now...

Would this be feasable in Puppy?

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

MU

#303 Post by MU »

Hi Dinky,

I wish you all the best for your future.
It was a great pleasure for me, to write with you here, and share ideas.
You solutions for compiz encouraged me, to try it on my own, too :)

Have a good time, and all the best for your young family!

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

rhadon

#304 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

these are really bad news. :cry:

I will miss your posts and the contact with you. It's a great pity that the development of Ripple will stop now.

Anyway, life goes on 8) (and maybe you find the way back one day? :wink: ).

Also from me: my best wishes for you and your family.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

ragaman

Re: And the next Ripple Developer is...

#305 Post by ragaman »

dinky wrote:Hi folks. Rhadon is spot on... the only thing I'd add is that wine support is great for some programs, not so great for other. Give it a go, and see if you can search the forums, both here and elsewhere. Also, read the Ripple wiki, it's got info about installing openoffice with the tar file I provided.

Right, so onto the next bit. It's been fun, but I'm leaving Puppy Linux and the development of Ripple to others. Due to other commitments in my life, I'm no longer able to continue developing in any form. I've switched full time to Ubuntu, and am loving it. Very solid distro, with everything I need and more. Puppy's a great project, and a developers dream, however my dreams are taking me in different directions now.

I applaud everyone working within the Puppy Linux community, and wish you all well in the future. I'll be moving all the Ripple stuff to one of the puppy servers in the future, and will list the changes in the first post on this forum. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to take over with Ripple, please be my guest. Everything I've done is in the latest iso, or on this forum. If you want to keep ripple going, and are missing any development files you think I'll have, let me know and I'll post them up for you. I'll be deleting most of them over the next week though to free up space... so contact me soon if you want them. I will be checking these forums very infrequently from now on, so if you want to reach me email me at: contact@openlabyrinth.net

Once again, thanks for everyone, especially rhadon and aarf for helping me make this project so great! All the best guys, feel free to drop me a line sometime.

~dinky
This is getting scary. I was happily using WNOP when tombh announced he was going away. Then now, just as I was putting Ripple through its paces tombh abandons it. Twice orphaned.

davesurrey

#306 Post by davesurrey »

Hi ragaman,

In my mind wNOP and Ripple were rather different concepts.

wNOP being based on NOP which used xfce in place of jwm or icewm. And then adding compiz-fusion on top.

Whereas Ripple was an attempt (okay, with an idea first suggested by tombh) of getting rid of jwm, icewm, xfce etc and just using compiz as the DE.

If you really want the ripple approach then yes you'll have to wait until the next guy comes along. It may be a long wait. And woof might offer a better approach to this?

But if you want a more up to date version of wNOP and don't mind xfce then look at Tipsy, the initial version, which has compiz running. But you'll need to have nvidia as your graphics card. Does not suport ati or intel.

Alternatively go for NOP-413 and add compiz-fusion and appropriate drivers yourself. I found it easier than I thought and have it working well, although I am no expert. If you are interested just read tombh's orig thread and that of wow.

HTH
Dave

puppyluvr

#307 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Dinky,
Hate to see you go...
Ripple is a fantastic project, I wish I had the knowledge to take it up...
Good luck in your future ...We will miss you.....
Am D / L the latest..(last?) Ripple now...
I hope it finds a new "Owner"..With as much love for it as you....
First Tombh, now you...Why does Compiz drive `em away???LOL

Oh yea, BTW....
:D Did you have to go out praising `butu?????
:D :D :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

ragaman

#308 Post by ragaman »

Thanks davesurrey. I have tested those puplets you mentioned. I use Puppy with Compiz in showing off Linux to my friends and when I do presentations on FOSS to schools/government organizations. Puppy is ideal because it combines speed with eye-candy ("buntu" is just too slow) and it never fails to elicit oohs and aahs from my audience. "Real" work is done with MiPup2- a great puplet.

I guess, this is one of the drawbacks of one-man projects-they might leave at mid-river.

reasonit

#309 Post by reasonit »

i have a mobo with ati Xpress 1200 IGP .
any chances of this working?

rhadon

#310 Post by rhadon »

reasonit wrote:i have a mobo with ati Xpress 1200 IGP .
any chances of this working?
I think it should work. I can't promise it. AlI can say is that it works fine with my ati card see sig. The best will be give it a try :)

Sorry for answering so late.

Rolf

reasonit

#311 Post by reasonit »

np, I tried it and ...
it didn't work :(
I tired several other puppy builds (nop, stable) , all had a problem with my ati :(

rhadon

#312 Post by rhadon »

@ reasonit

Can you explain the problem a little bit more exacting?
Do you get a Testpicture with xorg? Does it work with vesa?

Note: There are 2 drivers, ATI catalyst and fglrx. If one fails and you want to try the other one you must uninstall the first or (what I did) start with pfix=ram and then select the other one.

Rolf

cbrunos

#313 Post by cbrunos »

Hi amigos,
I don't know if this was already mentioned before, but when I try ton remove some icons from cairo-dock (like the clipper) it just crashes. It's no big deal; but one time i wanted to remove by drag and drop and my whole cairo-dock went insane, restarting and then crashing without end.
i had to reinstall puppy...
Well I hope this can be fixed.
Oh by the way I'm using Ripple 0.62.

rhadon

#314 Post by rhadon »

Hi cbrunos,

normally you can remove an applet from cairo-dock by right-click the icon and selecting 'Remove this applet' or Cairo-Dock -> Configure -> Applets and selecting the one you want to remove.

Some applets can't be removed e.g. Clipper or Gmenu. Maybe they are neccessary for Ripple. For me it works without any crash.

Hope this helps

Rolf

cbrunos

#315 Post by cbrunos »

Thanks for the answer!
I tried to remove them like you said, but cairo crashes anyway.
As I said it's no big deal, just wanted to mention this "bug"

fabounet

#316 Post by fabounet »

you should consider upgrading to Cairo-Dock2 :wink:

cbrunos

#317 Post by cbrunos »

That's an idea...what do I need to do tu upgrade it? Because I can't deinstall 1.6.3...so do I simply install version 2.0 over it?

aarf

#318 Post by aarf »

switched to opera.beta2 in puppy421 as primary boot today.
moving ripple to non-primary felt like when you loose all those best friends to all those marriages all over again.
sad to see all this effort fall by the wayside.
and the earth goes around another day.

aarf

#319 Post by aarf »

uploaded the files from the ripple6.3.iso to http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/ripple6.3 biggest file is 177MB
still good after all this time. Dinky was a master when it came to multimedia.
will upload eeetiger.iso 258MB as well another time.
Last edited by aarf on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 20:38, edited 3 times in total.

puppyluvr

#320 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Yep, sad to see that one go by the wayside, but Dinky had a life to live...
Ripple was the inspiration for Lupen.. Still trying to figure out how he got Compiz to run without xfce, using just Cairo.. Genius...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...