ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

ChoicePup4.1.2

#1 Post by jrb »

Oh Yeah, another puppy derivative, ho, hum. But wait! Don't turn away!

ChoicePup is the Swiss Army Knife of puppy derivatives. You have the power to choose your own browser, office suite, media player. Either at boot or on the fly it is ready to run the following packages, no configuration necessary, all dependencies met, everything with menu entries. MinV2 can:
  • 1) load and unload .sfs files by right clicking on them.
    2) load an entire folder of .sfs's, all at the same time from the right click menu or seaside"s GUI on the Utility menu.
    3) Keep track of which .sfs's are loaded in /root/my_links/loaded_sfs (on the desktop) so you can unload them easily when done with them (except with Barry's bootmanager)
    4) Has improved fonts and local file performance with htmlviewer Netsurf
    5) If you are using frugal or usb it will load .sfs's at boot with no pup_save! Just place your chosen .sfs files in /sfs_boot_files/ on the drive where your puppy files are and they will be loaded at boot with or without a pup_save
Just a reminder, MinV2 is a barebones puppy. It contains a minimal mediaplayer (xhippo) and OpenGl. Most of the ch-.sfs files will run in ChoicePup-minimal without loading dependencies, there are exceptions however. Most dependencies are contained in ch-min-boost.sfs. Unless you are severly ram (computer memory) challenged you should load this package. You will need to load one of the flash player packages below if you are using any of the browser packages. (Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey) Add one at time for low resource computing or add them all if you've got the power. (I've loaded and run 26 at a time both from boot and on the fly with no problem - AMD64-3500, 1.5GB ram)

The .sfs packages prepared for Choicepup are tweaked to work with the Desktop buttons.  They will activate whichever packages you have decided to load.  Priority is given to the first package loaded, i.e. the write button will activate Abiword if that was the first word processor loaded but OpenOfficeWriter will still be available on the Document Menu if you have it loaded too.

How do you load these packages?  There are two methods:

1.      Find the packages with RoxFiler (file icon on the desktop).  They can be anywhere but your best bet is to place them in /mnt/home (where your pup_save file will go) or what will become /mnt/home as this will be necessary for method 2.

Right click on one of the ch-.sfs packages and choose install_with_load_sfs .  This will install the package and make it usable.  Using this method you may also uninstall the package when you are finished by choosing uninstall_with_unload_sfs. (Thanks to jcoder24 and gyro for load_sfs and unload_sfs)

Entries for the programs in the package will be automatically installed on the Menu in the appropriate category.

2.       Use BootManager on the Systems menu.  This requires that you have run puppy once, restarted and saved a pup_save file.  Wherever you saved will become your /mnt/home and will be mounted and useable when you have restarted.  It will be the drive with the yellow dot at the bottom left corner of the desktop. (Thanks to Leon for the improved initrd.gz which makes loading so many .sfs files possible)

Place the ch-.sfs packages on the /mnt/home drive.  Don't place them in folders!  You can go to Menu-System-Bootmanager and select which of these files to load at next bootup or you can just reboot and Bootmanager will pop up automatically and ask which ones you would like to load.  (Don't forget to remove the checkmark from "ignore above user selection")

Using method2 you cannot unload them except by opening BootManager, deselecting them and then rebooting.
You may use these methods to load any other .sfs files built for Puppy but not all of these will run without extra additions (dependencies).  All the ch-.sfs files have been setup to run with ChoicePup.

Thanks to Barry Kauler and all the developers at the PuppyLinux Forum for this wonderful OS.

Have Fun, Let me know what you think.

Note: ChoicePup is built with Xorg7.0 which I have found works or works better on more computers than Xorg7.3
Attachments
ch-pcd-1.0-412.pet
Click on desktop CD icon to play audio cds. (must reboot after installing pet)
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
ch-doc-rtf_viewer.pet
Will allow simple viewing of .doc and .rtf files until you load a wordprocessor
(177.79 KiB) Downloaded 1573 times
ChoicePup_minV2_help_patch.pet
fixes broken help icon on desktop and menu
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 1448 times
choicepup-minV2_cups_patch.pet
Lets netsurf open cups printer wizard
(448 Bytes) Downloaded 1370 times
sfs_load.pet
latest load_sfs and unload_sfs as used in ChoicePup. For use in other Pups. Should be used with ldconfig.pet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=17047
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 1708 times
loaded_sfs_links.pet
Creates and Removes links to loaded sfs packages in /my-links/loaded_sfs
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times
choicepup_desktop2.jpg
(51.16 KiB) Downloaded 17935 times
Last edited by jrb on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 02:09, edited 68 times in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I did not try it, but really like, how you have put everything together.
Very cool 8) :D
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

raffy

concept

#3 Post by raffy »

A true Puppy Linux implementation - great work. :D

And you just got the attention of MU, who mirrors many Puppy builds and packages.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

puppyiso

having trouble to dn

#4 Post by puppyiso »

Hello, jrb.

I am having a trouble to download from the site. I started downloading since this morning 8AM (Beijing Time Tuesday March 2009) till now.

Every time I tried, the download speed was incredibly slow but that's not the real problem. The download eventually stops after I got something like 6MB. I kept repeating downloading all day long.

Now it is 10PM (Beijing time the same day). I still didn't get the file.

I even joined the hosting service just hoping it will make the download job easier.

It didn't help at all. I downloaded others with little problem.

After some 14hours of trying, I decided to post S.O.S.

Please, find sometime to upload the main ISO file else where.
Last edited by puppyiso on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 23:31, edited 3 times in total.

tlchost

Live-CD-USB

#5 Post by tlchost »

Looks exciting.....how can I use it with a LiveCD and/or USB ??

Thanks

Caneri

#6 Post by Caneri »

FYI,

jrb will be uploading here

http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepup/

user=puppy
password=linux

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jrb

#7 Post by jrb »

ch-samba-3.0.26.sfs reloaded at Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:09 pm. Small bugfix in samba controls on network menu

jrb

#8 Post by jrb »

puppyiso,
I have upload these files to http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepup/ at Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:12 pm on the forum clock. Hopefully it will work better for you.
Last edited by jrb on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#9 Post by jrb »

tlchost,
ChoicePup is a basically stock Puppy412 with a few things removed and a few things added. I have been running it both from livecd and frugal install. I haven't tried from USB but there's no reason it shouldn't work, if Puppy412 works for you. I have found USB installs vary from machine to machine. Lots won't boot from USB.

By the way, I strongly suggest creating a new pup_save for ChoicePup. If you use an old one it might overwrite some of the mods which could effect some of the .sfs packages.

jrb

#10 Post by jrb »

puppyiso

Thanks

#11 Post by puppyiso »

I thank Eric and jrb for making the download possble.

I'm gonna be busy playing with ChoicePup for a while.

John S

dustypenguin

#12 Post by dustypenguin »

Ever since sfs files came on the scene, this is almost what I have envisioned as a puppy linux derivative. Stripped down and then modularized for total customization. Very, very good work. I am using it now, While creating a virtiual machine using the virtualbox sfs.

Things I would like to see? A Thunderbird sfs to go along with the Firefox sfs. The real ability to browse MS Windows active directory domain resources. (smb4k sfs?) With those things you guys might make my IBM X30 my main machine yet!

Guess I'll have to start reading up on how to make sfs s! If one wanted to make choicepup compatible sfs files, are there any extra steps one needs to know about?

Get this to work with MU's sfs combiner, and things could get very interesting!

puppyiso

Just like Tinycore

#13 Post by puppyiso »

I think it is a trend.

Barry is making pure OS utilizing other distro's depository.

A former DSL developer dedelops "evolutionary OS only" concept Tinycore.

This is a way of diet. Slima and swift.

How about switchable kennel after reboot or switchable personal sfses such as 3d_apps_oriented.sfs, Audio_oriented.sfs etc.

It may be even more dramatic if you can swich sfses just like a stick shift.

Possibility is only limited by lack of imagination.

John S

ICPUG

#14 Post by ICPUG »

Jrb,

Well done! I have been requesting this approach for ages.

Pity it is done for the buggy 4.1.2 though.

Any chance of a 4.2 equivalent (lol)

Caneri

#15 Post by Caneri »

Hi jrb,

For wget users, you can use this to get ChoicePup and it's sfs files

wget -c http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepu ... 5-i486.sfs --user=puppy --password=linux

All you need to do is replace the url/http link with what ever file you need.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jrb

#16 Post by jrb »

dustypenguin,
I will be writing a howto soon on changing .pets to .sfs and also how to make them ChoicePup compatible, most will be anyway. I'll place it in the howto section and link back to here.

puppyiso,
I have built personal .sfs's. They work well.

ICPUG,
I will be looking at a Puppy4.2 version soon. My main problem so far has been getting Xorg7.0 to run in Puppy4.2. It just runs better on my equipment. My main computer won't run Xorg7.3 at all and xorg is needed for Googleearth, one of my must haves.

Cheers, J

Py

#17 Post by Py »

Thanks for this distro jrb.

I am on dialup and would like to know if all the sfs's in your first post on this thread are in the iso or do they need to be downloaded separately?

Best wishes,

jrb

#18 Post by jrb »

Py,
The ChoicePuppy ISO is 93MB. It doesn't contain any of the .sfs packages. They will need to be downloaded seperately.

The only package (so far) which will not run on its own is Frostwire. It needs jre (java). OpenOffice will run without jre but there are a few things it refuses to do without it.

Good Luck, Have Patience, J

nancy reagan

ChoicePup from within livecd ?

#19 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi Creator of all Pups,

When I read you announcement I thought "finally just what I was looking for such a long time .."

Howevever after long searching I found out that there is no /mnt/home on livecd ..

So my -probable typically nancy reaganish - question is

1. "is your derivative meant to be run from within livecd as well "
1.1 if so, what is equal to "/mnt/home" on livecd ... etc.

1.2 if not, what a terrible pity that is

jrb

#20 Post by jrb »

Hi nancy reagan,
/mnt/home will be created once you have run puppy from cd, shut down and saved. Wherever you save will become your /mnt/home. When you reboot /mnt/home will be there.

However, in ChoicePup you do not have to have a /mnt/home to use .sfs files. If you have them downloaded you can open ROX, find the .sfs file, right click on it. Go to OpenWith->load_sfs and click. The .sfs file will be loaded and useable. You can then start them from the menu or desktop icon. Doing it this way means you will have to do it again after a reboot.

If you have a /mnt/home you can get bootmanager to load them automatically at bootup until you change the bootmanager setting.

Hope that helps, J