Development environment

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
TheBlackSheep

Development environment

#1 Post by TheBlackSheep »

Quite often I find myself compiling from raw sources to try to install the later versions of repository based applications (like RDP now at 1.6) or stuff that's just not there (Wine 1.18, Lazarus, Cisco's VPN client etc).

Some just work without any assistance like the RDP compilation but Wine (obviously) needs a lot more dependencies than are in most puppy versions - I'm currently using NOP413 with a relabeled devx_412.sfs file which seems to work fine (NOP413 is really tidy well done gray :) !) but as it's a small distro it doesn't have some required libraries installed.

Compiling Wine 1.18 comes back with a number of things that are missing and I started to search for the missing libraries (hal, glu, sane etc - assuming they are missing and not just missing a related symbolic link, e.g the GL libs are there but gcc doesn't find them by default) and their associated development headers if required.

I assume others have been in this position and so just wondered if there was a better way of doing this?

Also, if the compilation requires a download of development headers for a library (as opposed to just the binary library itself) this all starts to add to a base system and presumably makes it more complicated to create a compact target (i.e. puppy targeted version) PET or SFS for others to benefit.

My current plan is to extract the sources to a file-system outside of puppy's virtual memory system (assuming a frugal install here), search for and download the headers and libraries for any required dependencies (the libraries themselves presumably need to be copied to the puppy base system). Then compile/build the binary or whatever and finally try and work out what is needed to sit on top of the base system and copy that to an external area and then create a PET or SFS file of the relevant files. Once created start up a ram based puppy (i.e. without an existing save file) and test the installation. Then go back to the version I originally developed on, remove the libraries and delete all the development code and re-install the new PET/SFS to be able to use the application.

Just wondered if this is normal or if there is a better way - possibly using a development related puppy derivative which has nearly everything that might be required installed but not something that I'd work with on a day-to-day basis (i.e. too big and impractical for usb/performance) on another device (or virtual machine) and just switching between them accordingly.

Chris

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

TheBlackSheep

#3 Post by TheBlackSheep »

hi runtt21

yep, I know about that derivative - I already have an early incarnation and would certainly consider using it as a basis for a development machine.

I guess what I'm really asking is; is this the right process as opposed to just considering which tools would be best for the job?

I suppose it's a bit like considering how you would set out your workshop with things in the right place and then obtaining/making the design/blueprint/tech-drawings and gathering materials - wood, screws, glue, paint etc (read: planning, strategy, workflow) to get the job done as opposed to just the chisel and the hammer that will actually be doing the job.

Chris