Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 05:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
arp and wake on lan binaries
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
jimj

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec 2005, 17:23    Post subject:  arp and wake on lan binaries  

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this in. I couldn't find arp or WOL support for Puppy Linux 1.0.6. Since I'm too lazy to compile them myself I copied my arp and wol binaries from Fedora Core 4 and they just worked. In case anyone else would like em, I've attached these files to this port.

The "arp" file is simply copied from a stock Fedora Core 4 install. The WOL files are from the wol-0.7.1-2.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm I downloaded from here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/dag/fedora/3/i386/wol-0.7.1-2.1.fc3.rf.i386.html

All of these files seem to work on on Puppy Linux 1.0.6. I just copied them to /root/my-applications/bin.

See http://ahh.sourceforge.net/wol/wol.html for the wake on lan usage. If you don't know how to use arp, 'arp --help' may help you.
wolandarp.tar.gz
Description  arp and wol binaries that work with Puppy Linux 1.0.6.
gz

Download 
Filename  wolandarp.tar.gz 
Filesize  30.89 KB 
Downloaded  1088 Time(s) 
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec 2005, 00:23    Post subject:  

I think you got the right forum. What do 'arp' and 'Wake on LAN' do, exactly?
jimj

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec 2005, 00:55    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
I think you got the right forum. What do 'arp' and 'Wake on LAN' do, exactly?

arp and wol are unrelated. I posted them both together in one file only because they're small. I probably should've posted them separately.

The arp binary displays the contents of your computer's arp cache. The arp cache is a table which maps MAC addresses to IP addresses. The output will look someting like this:
# arp
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface
10.1.1.1 ether 12:34:56:BB:E9:FF C eth0

Wake on Lan allows you to remotely wake up a computer over the network. Getting the host computer set up so that it can be woke up remotely can be tricky, but once that's done using the wol client is easy. Simply run 'wol MACADDRESS'. Example output:
# wol 12:34:56:BB:E9:FF
Waking up 12:34:56:BB:E9:FF...

After running the command above the computer with MAC address 12:34:56:BB:E9:FF will power on. My wife uses wol and remote desktop to remotely access her Windows machine in the basement without having to walk all the way down there to turn it on. The URL I listed in my first post has more details about the magic behind WOL.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: