Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 18:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Portable Studio
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
synth

PostPosted: Wed 18 Mar 2009, 14:20    Post_subject:  Puppy Portable Studio
Sub_title: ...coming soon

Puppy Portable Studio is a specialized variant of Puppy for running (Windows) digital audio workstation / music production software.

- A woof-based Puppy with a cutting-edge kernel and all the optimizations of Turbopup Xtreme
- Comes with all the features and support needed for running pro audio software
- Optimized for low audio latency and maximum performance with digital audio workstation software

Puppy Studio is NOT another 'multimedia' (jack-of-all-trades) distro like Musix, Ubuntu Studio, GrafPup or Pupitup.
It doesn't have graphics,video and office apps,email clients,widgets,etc.

Puppy Studio is powered by:

First screenshots of the pre-pre-alpha build:
reapwine.png
 Description   Cockos Reaper running under Puppy Studio. This is just an early test build based on Puppy 4.12. Puppy Studio 1.0 will be Woof-based.
 Filesize   236.66 KB
 Viewed   3020 Time(s)

reapwine.png

studio.jpg
 Description   Pre-pre-alpha screenshot :) (80% of the stuff you see in this screenshot will be removed)
 Filesize   155.69 KB
 Viewed   2979 Time(s)

studio.jpg

Edited_times_total
puppyiso

PostPosted: Wed 18 Mar 2009, 20:35    Post_subject: I am dying to C it.  

Hello,

As a great fan of WINE and multimedia related apps, I am thrilled to hear your puppy is coming up.

I just hope I won't have any problem to download it.(for some reason, I can open puppylinux.asia at all)

Looking forward to see your puppy.
synth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 03:01    Post_subject:  

puppyiso wrote:
Hello,

As a great fan of WINE and multimedia related apps, I am thrilled to hear your puppy is coming up.

Looking forward to see your puppy.

synth wrote:
Puppy Studio is NOT a 'multimedia' (jack of all trades) distro like Musix, Ubuntu Studio or Pupitup.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 04:16    Post_subject:  

This is very thrilling ! I love to see Jack2 in action in puppy.

Request, if you don't mind:
- RT kernel (it is a must) ... and if possible, SMP too.
- Rosegarden
- Qsynth
- Jamin
- Timemachine
- LADSPA
- DSSI (fludisynth)
- Zynaddsubfx

Good luck and thanks !

synth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 05:14    Post_subject:  

Interesting stuff - after a bit of googling,I found this (old) blog post by jukingeo:

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=611332

jukingeo wrote:
I don't remember telling you that I am working on creating a full multi-media package of Puppy with another individual who is more savvy at setting Puppy up than I am. So perhaps there may be a "Puppy Studio".

I may end up with a multi-media Puppy Linux. To be honest with you, I think THAT would fly with the laptop people. Because they can have a Windows machine and then plug in a USB memory stick with Puppy on it and then have a full studio suite at their fingertips
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 05:55    Post_subject:  

Quote:
- Jamin
- Timemachine
- LADSPA

Timemachine?
Hooray - it came a lot sooner than anticipated . . .
. . . eh . . .
It is not for time travel is it . . . Crying or Very sad

Have you considered releasing all this as an SFS?
Will you be using Woof?
Do you know about Grafpup - which was going towards multimedia . . .
Also there is a recorder (just for podcasts, memos etc ) here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22262

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 06:25    Post_subject:  

synth wrote:
Interesting stuff - after a bit of googling,I found this (old) blog post by jukingeo:

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=611332

jukingeo wrote:
I don't remember telling you that I am working on creating a full multi-media package of Puppy with another individual who is more savvy at setting Puppy up than I am. So perhaps there may be a "Puppy Studio".

I may end up with a multi-media Puppy Linux. To be honest with you, I think THAT would fly with the laptop people. Because they can have a Windows machine and then plug in a USB memory stick with Puppy on it and then have a full studio suite at their fingertips

Never seen that one before, but I know jcagle at one time planned to do something like this, called PupBeatz ... but later on he cancelled that project due to lack of time ...

Lob,
Sorry to shatter your dreams ... it's JACK Time Machine, to record ambient JACK sound output ... real men use Ardour, for me, Time Machine will do :p

Also, an SFS will not do because to be a real audio machine, the kernel must be a special kernel:
- it should be real-time (RT Kernel)
- it should be low-latency (the clock ticks must be set to 1000 or more)

Otherwise JACK will stutter, no matter how powerful machine you have. (I tried to use JACK on a non-RT kernel, pushed its priority to nice -20 to avoid xruns, and it froze my laptop Shocked )

A new kernel means a new puplet, rather than SFS because SFS can't be used to hold a new kernel.

About Grafpup ... we haven't heard from Nathan F for a while, I hope he's doing fine wherever he is ...

synth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar 2009, 06:29    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Will you be using Woof?

Puppy Studio 1.0 is going to be Woof-based.

Quote:
Do you know about Grafpup - which was going towards multimedia . . .

GrafPup is a Puppy derivative that's very similar to other general-purpose 'multimedia' distros (i.e. Musix and Ubuntu Studio).
It tries to do everything: from graphics (2D and 3D),web design,video and audio,to office apps and publishing.

Puppy Studio is a fat-free Puppy optimized for audio production.
synth

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:24    Post_subject:  

More screenshots:

RT mode in JACK is useless without a Realtime kernel. It's extremely unstable. You're forced to use the non-RT mode which can give you 4~5ms latency in the best case with a monster PC Sad

Windows XP performs much better than Puppy with a standard kernel. You can get latencies down to 1~2ms with ASIO output and an optimized XP.

With a RT kernel,you can finally use the RT mode without fear that your app will disconnect or crash.The results are amazing:
Much better than XP Smile
alsaplayer_with_jack_RT.jpg
Description  Puppy Studio without a realtime kernel handles audio streaming better than a distro with a real-time kernel :)
jpg

Download 
Filename  alsaplayer_with_jack_RT.jpg 
Filesize  339.58 KB 
Downloaded  1672 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
synth

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2009, 21:11    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
JACK will stutter, no matter how powerful machine you have. (I tried to use JACK on a non-RT kernel, pushed its priority to nice -20 to avoid xruns, and it froze my laptop Shocked )

A new kernel means a new puplet, rather than SFS because SFS can't be used to hold a new kernel.

When the RT mode is enabled, JACK won't stutter, but the apps connected to it will disconnect or crash Sad

If you use WINE apps with JACK with a standard kernel,you must disable the RT mode in QJackCtl. That sucks Sad

Without RT,you won't be able to go below 5ms latency no matter what kind of hardware you have.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009, 05:44    Post_subject:  

this works under wine and may be of interest Smile http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009, 10:36    Post_subject:  

synth wrote:

When the RT mode is enabled, JACK won't stutter, but the apps connected to it will disconnect or crash Sad

If you use WINE apps with JACK with a standard kernel,you must disable the RT mode in QJackCtl. That sucks Sad

Without RT,you won't be able to go below 5ms latency no matter what kind of hardware you have.

That sucks! I thought jack2 aka jackdmp is meant to fix all that Sad not sure of the status of rt-kernel, I know ubuntustudio 8.10 (uses standard 2.6.27) doesn't use rt-kernel because it wasn't stable (=and therefore I stick with 8.04 instead with 2.6.24-rt).

synth

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009, 12:47    Post_subject:  

WINE is the root of the problem,not JACK.It's a huge resource hog.The graphics /menus/GUI redraws are the main source of instability.Extremely unoptimized and buggy.

Moving,resizing,opening,minimizing windows and doing anything that makes use of the GUI eats up massive amounts of CPU cycles,not giving enough time for JACK to do its job.

But I found a nice workaround - setting the timeout in JACK from 500ms to 8000ms solves the problem Smile
Now you can use the RT mode but you'll get Xruns from time to time because of the lousy 2D performance of WINE.

Edited_times_total
synth

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009, 12:56    Post_subject:  

Here's an updated screenshot:

After doing some updates ,optimizations and tweaks to Puppy Studio Pre-Alpha,here's the result:

Extremely low latencies without an RT kernel Smile

Edited_time_total
synth

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2009, 13:12    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
this works under wine and may be of interest Smile http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

LOL...that's an offline editor for cutting mp3 files. You can post a request to the guy who maintains 'Whiney Puppy' and he'll include it in one of his .SFS modules with freeware Windows apps.

Puppy Studio won't include Windows apps. It's just a platform for running Windows audio apps that require real-time operation (very low latencies)

Stuff like time-critical playback,recording and realtime manipulation of hundreds of audio or MIDI streams at once.

mp3dc is an offline mp3 editor. You can run it on the worst performing Linux distro and it will perform great.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum