Printer query

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
astro4travel

Printer query

#1 Post by astro4travel »

I have a HP-Photosmart 2610 printer. It is hooked up to my main computer on the wired router. Now, I would like to know if it would be possible to use this printer via the Ethernet connection from the router to my Puppy computer. The Puppy computer is the 2nd computer that is networked from the main one. I would like to use the Puppy computer to print with using the printer on the main computer. Any of this possible? Thanks in advance.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm not sure what your objective is. Do you want to leave the printer connected to the Windows machine and access it as a shared printer? Have you already made the printer sharable under Windows? Or do you want to connect the printer directly onto your network via its Ethernet port?

astro4travel

#3 Post by astro4travel »

Sorry for the confusion. Yes,I want the printer connected to the Windows machine and access it as a shared printer on the Puppy box.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. First, I would recommend that you connect the printer directly to your Puppy machine via USB so you can get the correct driver working.

If you go to OpenPrinting.org here, the closest printer to yours is a 2600. They recommend the hpijs driver. You can download it as a .pet package. Go to the Setup menu and open the Puppy Package Manager. Select the System group and download hpijs-2.8.2_static-1.

You also need the PPD configuration file for this printer. Download it from the bottom of the OpenPrinting page and save it to /usr/share/cups/model.

Once you have the printer working locally, transfer it back to your Windows machine. Then read this.

astro4travel

#5 Post by astro4travel »

Thanks, I will give it a go.