(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 05 Mar 2021, 06:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Grub problems? Or other issues ...?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
chexmix

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 07:19    Post subject:  Grub problems? Or other issues ...?  

Hi everyone. I've been using and abusing Linux since 1999 but am new to Puppy. I came to it because ... well, I did a Very Bad Thing night before last and rendered my multi-OS laptop (cough, dig toe in dirt) un-bootable. All the partitions were still there but my existing grub installation couldn't SEE them.

Short version: I used a live CD of another distro and managed to download and burn Puppy 4.1.2 to another disk. I booted it ...

... and was immediately amazed at how transparent and FAST Puppy is. This old box fairly SCREAMED and was so snappy I barely recognized it! After some fruitless mucking around I decided to opt for radical surgery and installed it on the partition where another Linux distro (and my previous grub install) used to be. Once I installed grub to the MBR (as the installation prompts suggested) I was able to reboot to a nice new grub screen.

The trouble is, none of the systems on logical partitions (including Puppy) want to boot. The other systems on primary partitions come up fine.

Here is what menu.lst has for Puppy:

Code:
root (hd0, 5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=normal

and here is what happens when I attempt to boot the system:

Code:
Booting command-list

root (hd0,5)
 Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=normal
 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x2200, size=0x18a82c]

Unlzamaing Linux ... done.
Booting the kernel.
init: applet not found
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

... now I will say, it is very odd but the old menu.lst files I had saved from my OLD installation are STILL THERE in /dev/sda6/boot. I am fairly certain I selected the installation type (full?) that should have cleared out sda6 ...

... What happens when I try to boot my Slackware installation (sda7) is even weirder, but I will stop here. Hope this isn't too ramble-y. I've been dealing with this for a day and a half now, and have an exam on Monday. Sad

I'd be grateful for any guidance here ... I'm pretty bleary-eyed.

- G
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 10:11    Post subject:  

Because your problem is affecting all the logical partitions, I suspect that your Very Bad Thing has damaged the partition table.

First, I would run the Gparted partition manager program (from the System menu) and see what it says about the partitions.

Then I would investigate using Testdisk. This little program is sometimes able to recover a damaged partition table. You may already have it in one of your working Linux's or you can find it on any recovery CD.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 11:12    Post subject:  

I don't know why you didn't check it out with a good rescue disk.

A rescue disk doesn't know what the problem is when you insert the disk, of course, but it will not mount every single partition, search every single partition and unmount every single partition and activate the swap partition.

Puppy doesn't know what the problem is either, but it does all the above as if there isn't a thought of there being a problem.

My thoughts are that a disk in trouble is likely in fragile condition and if you cannot justify mounting and searching every partition as something designed to fix things and can see were it might not be the best thing to be doing, then Puppy shouldn't be your choice for a rescue disk for that reason alone.

Also worth considering is Puppy doesn't come with a full set of tools for recovery and repair.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: