cups1.4b2-i486 pet (2.46MB) reworked for lpt & usb printers

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jakobcornelis

#41 Post by jakobcornelis »

Patriot wrote:
All these pesky little things can annoy users and users don't like to be annoyed by stuffs that just works everywhere else ...

Rgds
I'll say.

This thing seems outright bizarre to a newbie like me. I shouldn't even be in a thread like this - I am way out of my league. But, hey, that cups_std-1.4b2-i486.pet got my printer going where nothing else would. Mind you, when I reboot it's gone again. I tried to add

modprobe parport
modprobe parport_pc
modprobe lp
chmod 0666 /dev/lp0

but that did not do any good (I put that just ahead of the init.d part just past the last fi. I just try to do what you guys tell me.)

For the record, I run Puppy 4.1.2 on an old Toshiba Satellite 1500, with a Canon BJC 2000 printer (parallel port). I've also tried a HP Deskjet 3915 usb printer, but I never got that to go at all.

Now if I can only get my printer working after reboot, even by adding some code, I'll be ahead of the game; right now the only way to accomplish this seems to be to uninstall cups and reinstall it .

Meanwhile, thanks for the reworked cups. That made my day.

jc

edoc

#42 Post by edoc »

Josef wrote:
Hi ttuuxxx!
The link is down, would you check it please?

Thx!
Just tried it now and got this error:
Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

WhoDo

#43 Post by WhoDo »

edoc wrote:Just tried it now and got this error:
Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
All of our main mirror sites now require a UserID (puppy) and Password (linux) to access downloads. The end product of sharing a network with spammers and hackers unfortunately.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jakobcornelis

#44 Post by jakobcornelis »

Patriot wrote:
3. I've posted the cups 1.4b2 standard (full) pet reworked with the above fixes. This pet package will make some cleanups during installation and now have automatic "postinstall" install. I did not make any changes to the cups source. Full source is available from www.cups.org btw ...

Posted where, please?

jc

edoc

#45 Post by edoc »

Not Found

The requested URL /tpp/ttuuxxx/programs/documents/cups-1.4b2-i386-v2.pet was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Patriot

#46 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...
jakobcornelis wrote: .....
that cups_std-1.4b2-i486.pet got my printer going where nothing else would. Mind you, when I reboot it's gone again. I tried to add

modprobe parport
modprobe parport_pc
modprobe lp
chmod 0666 /dev/lp0

Meanwhile, thanks for the reworked cups. That made my day.

jc
Hey there jakobcornelis,

I'm glad it works for you ... ;-)

About the updated cups 1.4b2 pet, its the one on the first page of this thread. If you have already downloaded and installed it, then it already have the udev fix that I mentioned in the puppy 4.2rc1 thread. You do not have to add the modprobe lines any longer ...

Here's the udev-fix-4-cups pet package that is already included (made into a pet by ttuuxxx) if you're unsure:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=15762

Should you encounter any printing problems, please look at the error messages on the cups printer page. You should not be getting permission denied errors anymore. If you do, please let me know ...

If printing still seems to be stuck, you may have to do this:

1. open the console terminal
2. type :

chmod 0700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel

The above will make the parallel backend module runs as root. This should make lpt printer detection/printing smoother. You can also install the same printer more than once by using different drivers. This can be done by giving it a different printer name the next time you add it through cups printer configuration. Using this method, it allows you to find which driver works or gives the result that you wanted.

As for your usb hp3915, I read somewhere that it 'mostly' works with hpijs driver ... your mileage may vary there ... and I've yet to have a printer to test it against ...

There's two cups packages that I've made here ... one is this cups 1.4beta2 and another that I called cups 'retro' 1.3.9 (which actually is the last stable version) ... I myself uses cups 1.3.9 as its more reliable than 1.4b2 for my case (1 usb + 1 lpt printer)...

If you're going to experiment with cups-1.3.9, you will find it somewhere on this sub-forum and it already has the udev patch included. Please only do your experimenting with a fresh and disposable puppy installation (something like a small 32mb save file) ...

I did planned to further solving cups + gutenprint + hplip + hpijs + etc + etc issues earlier ... but I have to defer that plan after realizing the number of man hours needed ... it took me nearly a month (back then) just to understand bits and pieces of cups inner working ...

Even though progress may be slow, I'll see to it that these pesky printing issues gets resolved (someday soon, I hope) ...

Rgds

edoc

#47 Post by edoc »

CUPS, the most recent, is beginning to break down - I have to frequently manually force the permissions in console, resume the printer, and restart jobs sent from another PC. It won't let me access the HP printer at all - to delete or edit it. I also had to reload CUPS a couple of days ago as it had ceased responding at all.

I have given up on CUPS under 4.12-Normal Frugal and am praying that the assertion that it has been fixed in Puppy 4.2 is correct - it has been a terrible nuisance for months.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

jakobcornelis

#48 Post by jakobcornelis »

jakobcornelis wrote:My bottom line now is that I've got to get a printer working for my routine needs; I don't print much, but I have to print some. I think, though, I'll wait you guys out until somebody comes up with a viable solution. In the meanwhile I'll do my printing some other way.
Well, this may not be necessary after all.

After installing cups "retro" 3.9.1, the one doctored by patriot, and gutenprint (which is included with Puppy 4.1.2, but it's not the latest version) my Canon (parallel) printed three jobs, and after rebooting printed three more. So that is an improvement on previous performance (see my earlier post).

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed. Who knows what other gremlins are lurking? That CUPS is one weird concoction.

Thanks, patriot. You steered me in the right direction, for now, anyway.

Woof woof!

jc

Patriot

#49 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

It's good to know that cups 1.3.9 finally gets your printing done as it has also did for me ... (I also believe several others did get their printing done with cups 1.3.9 ...)

My own experience using cups 1.3.9 and also the on-going cups 1.3.9 installations being monitored on several installed servers and PCs have led me to believe this stable version works much more reliably ... However, this is just some personal preliminary observations ...

Should you have any further issues with cups 1.3.9, please let me know in the other cups 1.3.9 thread ... I'll see if I can figure it out ...

Rgds

stevesr0

Will the 1.39 pet work with 4.0?

#50 Post by stevesr0 »

I just read this thread and wonder whether the 1.39 pet is usable with Dingo (4.0) or can be made to work with "minor" adjustments?

I am using CUPS to print to a network printer via an old external hp jetdirect print server.
The current cups application seems to work ok, but does display some oddities especially when my wife's Mac is running at the same time (duplicate versions of the same computer appear, which I can't usually print to, reconfigure or delete).

The CUPS I have installed doesn't work with Geany (works fine with Abi-Word).

Thanks

Steve

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

To print from Geany, you have to save the file first. Then Geany will issue a print command which sends the file to CUPS. Make sure that you have declared a default printer. I am still using the old CUPS in 4.1.2 and it works fine.

jakobcornelis

#52 Post by jakobcornelis »

Patriot wrote:. . . . . .
Should you have any further issues with cups 1.3.9, please let me know in the other cups 1.3.9 thread ... I'll see if I can figure it out ...

Rgds
OK, thanks

jc

stevesr0

Cups on 4.0 with Geany

#53 Post by stevesr0 »

Thanks for reply.

Just tried a test message, after setting my network printer as the default in CUPS (using web interface).

Nothing printed.

Recently, the interface stopped showing jobs although allowing printing.

Steve

Patriot

#54 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@stevesr0
As far as I'm aware of, cups 1.3.9 'retro' should also work on Dingo without modifications as Dingo (and even pup3.01 if I'm not mistaken) uses the same kernel 2.6 base.

I suggest booting off the liveCD and making a small 32/64mb save file to try out cups 1.3.9 ... Remember to first create the savefile before installing the pet or it won't work right ... It's a bit of a hassle but necessary ...

Depending on the hp jetdirect model, it may already have built-in HTTP, IPP, LPD protocols ... You may want to experiment to find out which method works best for your case ...

Rgds