home print server and hp officejet 5510

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
showdownmetal

home print server and hp officejet 5510

#1 Post by showdownmetal »

im curious if anyone is using a print server on they're lan with linux and if so could someone help me get CUPS up and running? it would be much appreciated. the print server is a belkin something or another. im not really sure where to begin with this but it shouldnt be too hard to set up. thanks in advance!

ttuuxxx

Re: home print server and hp officejet 5510

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

showdownmetal wrote:im curious if anyone is using a print server on they're lan with linux and if so could someone help me get CUPS up and running? it would be much appreciated. the print server is a belkin something or another. im not really sure where to begin with this but it shouldnt be too hard to set up. thanks in advance!
when your setting up cups, theres a box to share the printer, you need to check that, and then once the printer is installed you need to click on administration, and make it default server.
then the rest of the pc's on your home network should see that printer and be able to use, you'll have to setup up cups on each of the pc's. Thats off the top of mt head. But should be close.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are two steps to getting this working.

First, you need to find the correct driver for your HP5510. It will probably be easier to do this if you temporarily connect the printer directly to your Puppy machine and install it as a local printer.

It looks like this printer is supported by the HPIJS driver. You can get it as a PET package. Go to the Setup menu and run the Puppy Package Manager. Click the System button and select the hpijs_2.8.2_static-1 package. Then run the CUPS setup wizard.

Once you have the printer working, transfer it back to the print server. Your Belkin unit probably uses "socket" printing which requires you to know its IP address. Read here.

Run the CUPS setup wizard again.
Under Device, select: AppSocket/JetDirect.
Under Device URI, enter something like: socket://192.168.2.1:9100
Then select your HP printer.

Good luck.

showdownmetal

#4 Post by showdownmetal »

im gonna try this, quick question tho, will this be effected by a WEP key? my internet at my house has a 25 random digit wep key...

showdownmetal

#5 Post by showdownmetal »

close but no cigar... it just says processing and connecting to whatever socket thing i put in...

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did the printer work when you connected it locally?

Did you determine the correct IP address of the print server?

Have a look at the printer settings in Windows. Are you using the same values in CUPS?

Reply back and show exactly what you typed in for the URI.