Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#161 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:Still haven't got the ATI Radeon driver sorted out yet, but that's not so vital.
Here is one thread to start you off:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38516

and you can always search Puppy the easy way:
http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Hope that helps, Jack.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#162 Post by Lobster »

Thank you, dogone, for acknowledging that as a general rule the Puppy community of developers, testers and users have remained remarkably supportive of each other and positive toward the project throughout the whole Deep Thought development cycle. We are nearing the end of that process and I am extremely proud of what these guys have produced, as I'm sure the wider community will be when they have the final result in hand.
There are some important lessons we have implemented. :D

1. Transparency and using the forum rather than IRC as the 'meeting point'. This overcomes issues around time zones
2. Organization through implementation. We had a very flexible and practically non existent structure that arose organically; centered around our developers and their efforts.
3. More users, more testers, more coders. Being a more popular distro has enabled much more effort and feedback
4. Focus on one project 'Deep Thought'. There are frisky puplets and many distractions and possible directions. We developed and stuck to a clear agenda. That I feel is largely though Warrens efforts.

Petting and positive reinforcement creates a better Puppy.
I have been using Deep Thought for my day to day OS since RC1.

Incidentally I am having to use IceWM as the JWM taskbar has disappeared - where she gone? :?

Keep petting. Keep Frisky. Dog biscuits for everyone . . . :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

trio

#163 Post by trio »

"Pokoknya pakai puppy"
Indonesian of
"Whatever...I'll keep using puppy"

WhoDo

Xvesa testing

#164 Post by WhoDo »

One aspect of the Puppy-4.2 development cycle that concerns me is that we don't have many people testing Xvesa. We did get a complaint early in the cycle about Xvesa endlessly looping instead of shutting down. I still don't know if that has been an isolated incident, resolved or still remains to be tackled. I'd hate to get all the way to Final and have a disgruntled Xvesa user crop up to say "This is crap because Xvesa doesn't work!" :roll:

Is there anyone out there in a position to trial Xvesa on a variety of video cards / machines and let me know the results, please? :?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

tronkel

#165 Post by tronkel »

Luxury!

WhoDo wrote
Here is one thread to start you off:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38516
ATI driver now working with Radeon 3450 card.

Using the ATI Catalyst system seems to disable the ability to retain the xorg keyboard setting, which means that the keyboard has to be set up every time X is restarted or the computer rebooted.

This minor niggle apart, this is a very satisfactory outcome.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tasmod

#166 Post by tasmod »

Just noticed that 'blinky' wasn't showing in the tray.

Examined jwm-tray and trios fix was not added to blinky line.

Is it my machine or did I miss a change regarding blinky.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

cthisbear

#167 Post by cthisbear »

" trial Xvesa on a variety of video cards "

All I use is Xvesa.

Perfect on my Gigabytes MB 2.8 Celeron 512 ram
Radeon 9200 video.

I have booted a couple of different machines with various
4.2 Alphas, betas and a RC etc.
I encountered no issues.

Fixed a HP 3gig laptop today 17" screen??
no specs..I had other errands....but about 3-4 years old.
It also has Puppy 4.12 on it running flawlessly.

Puppy 4.2 RC2 and pfix=ram are no probs today with Xvesa.
Only one ever HP laptop gave me a problem with Puppy,
months ago..so I was forced to use Xorg.

Chris.

WhoDo

#168 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Just noticed that 'blinky' wasn't showing in the tray.

Examined jwm-tray and trios fix was not added to blinky line.

Is it my machine or did I miss a change regarding blinky.
Definitely included in RC2, so either you're working from an old pup_save or the upgrade didn't overwrite that file (as sometimes happens). Since implementing trio's fix I haven't had a single problem with the disappearing blinky in any of my numerous tests. I'd call that solved.

WhoDo

#169 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:All I use is Xvesa.

Perfect on my Gigabytes MB 2.8 Celeron 512 ram
Radeon 9200 video.
Thanks, chris. That's good news. 8) The earlier complaint may have been a 1-off then, or implimentation of the revised i810 driver may have helped the OP. Hasn't complained or followed up since. :|

zigbert

#170 Post by zigbert »

Here is ttuuxxx shutdown dialog without bloat.

The one in Puppy 4.2 rc2: 25kb (uncompressed)
This one: 3kb (uncompressed)

This one works both for JWM and icewm, so .jwmrc must be edited to point to 'shutdown' instead of 'shutdownjwm'.

Attachments
shutdown-CE.pet
(950 Bytes) Downloaded 379 times

01micko

#171 Post by 01micko »

Nice to see more mirrors added to petget... ooh and a green bit! As well as the orange part.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

capoverde

#172 Post by capoverde »

Puppy 4.2RC2 seems quite polished and stable, to be honest it's amazing to see how many new features have been added since Barry's "retirement" (and how much work has been done by the 4.2 team for that -- nobody's going to say the Puppy developers are lazy, for sure).

Of course it's impossible to please everyone; just in my personal view, I see no point in having two window managers, two text editors, two audio players, lots of themes, skins etc. in the ISO when it is so childishly easy to install one's preferred item (did just that in a minute for Xnetload, now missing, which I often use to check how heavy uploads are going).
Things are perfect when nothing can be taken off anymore!

A simple idea :idea: coming right now, forgive me if it has already been proposed: the last item in every section of the main menu (Desktop-System-etc.) could be "More applications (install)", linked to the Package Manager, which would then open in the corresponding section and offer the choice of related PETs.

Shouldn't be hard to do, would take even the noobies to install what they like without fear and would show all of Puppy's power... :o

WhoDo

#173 Post by WhoDo »

capoverde wrote:Of course it's impossible to please everyone; just in my personal view, I see no point in having two window managers, two text editors, two audio players, lots of themes, skins etc. in the ISO when it is so childishly easy to install one's preferred item

And yet one of Puppy's great strengths is its ability to offer a wide variety of choices in a compact package. 8) I prefer that WM, you prefer this one. I like that text editor, you prefer this one. Not everyone is willing or even able to follow even the "childishly easy" steps necessary to install new software - take it from me and years of experience trying to explain how simple Puppy is to refugees from Windows! :wink:
capoverde wrote:A simple idea :idea: coming right now, forgive me if it has already been proposed: the last item in every section of the main menu (Desktop-System-etc.) could be "More applications (install)", linked to the Package Manager, which would then open in the corresponding section and offer the choice of related PETs.

Shouldn't be hard to do, would take even the noobies to install what they like without fear and would show all of Puppy's power... :o
An interesting idea, capoverde! :shock: It might work, providing Barry's categories in the Package Manager have been adhered to religiously. From my examination of the packages.txt file that may not necessarily be the case - I see a myriad of things simply identified as "BuildingBlock". :? I will look into it for upcoming versions though.

Cheers.

tronkel

#174 Post by tronkel »

Just noticed there seems to be some problem with Claws Mail.
There seems to be no option available to use SSL or TLS - therefore cannot connect to mail server. Also takes a couple of reboots before all of the menubar items appear in normal fashion - i.e. not grayed out.

I wonder if this Claws Mail version is even worth including at all. Might be able to save some space by not including Claws at all and leaving it to the user to install the latest Firefox plus Simple Mail .... or .....

Make a version of Deep Thought with Firefox 3.07 + Simple Mail and take out Seamonkey altogether.

WhoDo

#175 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:Just noticed there seems to be some problem with Claws Mail.
There seems to be no option available to use SSL or TLS - therefore cannot connect to mail server. Also takes a couple of reboots before all of the menubar items appear in normal fashion - i.e. not grayed out.
First report of a problem there, Jack. I'll look into it. :?
tronkel wrote:I wonder if this Claws Mail version is even worth including at all. Might be able to save some space by not including Claws at all and leaving it to the user to install the latest Firefox plus Simple Mail .... or .....

Make a version of Deep Thought with Firefox 3.07 + Simple Mail and take out Seamonkey altogether.
Now, now Jack ... it's a bit late in the game to be making such radical changes. :shock: If Claws mail isn't working we are pretty much committed to making it work, rather than switching our whole browser/email strategy on the eve of releasing the Final edition ... well not the "eve" exactly but you get my point! :P

tronkel

#176 Post by tronkel »

WhoDo wrote
Now, now Jack ... it's a bit late in the game to be making such radical changes. Shocked

Plan B in case Claws cant easily be made to work. It might need a recompile. I think it was compiled by Tempestuous originally ages ago. Also Claws without its plugins compiled will not run with gpg encryption. Thats something Seamonkey mail can handle though..

Could just ust use Seamonkey plus the normal Seamonkey email client. At least that mail client seems to work OK. Its usually OK with Enigmail and other popular mail extensions.

tasmod

#177 Post by tasmod »

WhoDo,

Yeah, as I thought, might be my machine. It was just the jwm_tray had blinkydelayed missing. No problem.

Added it and it works fine.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ttuuxxx

#178 Post by ttuuxxx »

zigbert wrote:Here is ttuuxxx shutdown dialog without bloat.

The one in Puppy 4.2 rc2: 25kb (uncompressed)
This one: 3kb (uncompressed)

This one works both for JWM and icewm, so .jwmrc must be edited to point to 'shutdown' instead of 'shutdownjwm'.

Listen Zigbert 25kb with a full banner and lots of exrtra icons isn't called Bloat, really its called hard work, which I made because WhoDo requested that the theme matches your extremely dull, bland and down right UGLYYYYYYYY flat orange default theme that wasn't complete, if it was, I could of recycled the icons like you did and claim it as "removed the Bloat", Just like everything you make and touch, is the bare min and lacking in overall appeal, like pburn, thats dull, but hey you have some nice themes for it, but of course they are extras, and never get included as default. But it does not give you the right to call my banner and crappy flat icons that I made as "Bloat". Oh ya how silly of you to actually think you could go against my work in a public forum and think I would sit and take it, NEVER!! got it bud. Did you not read WhoDo's post he also wanted it in Blue, INCLUDING the BANNNER! so maybe its time to put the bloat back in and stop trying to swell your head even further than you've already done. It can't be good for your self-esteem, man I can't wait until this project is done and then I won't have to deal with kb-pinching, dull building Zigbert.

Ps your icons are too small and looks like crap.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#179 Post by ttuuxxx »

tronkel wrote:WhoDo wrote
Hi tronkel I'll recompile Claws mail, you can be my tester if you want? Theres a newer versions and I'll start on it right now :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

esmourguit

#180 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour,
I just see the menu shutdown by Zigbert, and I just finished this same menu in French also modified, because I don't like too much the flashy side of the original.
Just for fun :D
Cordialement ;)
Attachments
shutdown_menu-french.png
(24.33 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]