Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes

tom4jesus

#301 Post by tom4jesus »

ttuuxxx wrote:would it really be worth 2MB extra compress, just to say that we are using a more popular but uglier email client, ttuuxxx
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, What makes Puppy great is not looks but speed and functionality. To me it is the same with an email client. I think I tried Sylpheed once and did not like it all. It may be a little smaller than Seamonkey but as i recall I don't think it displays html in emails?
It is also nice that the Seamonkey client is integrated into the browser and I can just push a button to open it fast while browsing, and also a pop-up comes up when I am browsing telling me I have a new email without running another program.
WhoDo wrote: Your point is not lost on me, ttuuxxx. Zigbert could probably find 100 uses for the extra room, too! We'll see what the reaction is after Alpha2 hits the shelves tonight. Sylpheed is certainly much more economical. Like many, I don't know it at all, so I'm going to take the opportunity to play with it while you guys debug Alpha2.
The reaction of this puppy user is that I just started using puppy a couple months back and at first I honestly did not like Seamonkey but it has really grown on me and I prefer it now for speed and functionality. IMHO you will get the same reaction from folks that have grown used to having it as part of Puppy.

I haven't gotten the iso of Alpha2 to work yet but I will give Sylpheed a chance when I do, and try it out again.

To me it just seems like one of the whole points of using Seamonkey in the first place is to have a suite. From a strictly browser standpoint Firefox and its derivatives ie, firepup, icecat have more functionality when it comes to displaying web content.

WhoDo

Re: mhWaveEdit's mixer call.

#302 Post by WhoDo »

capoverde wrote:I tried making a /root/.mhwaveedit/config text file with just this line:

mixerUtility = sgmixer

before starting mhWaveEdit in a "virgin" session (pfix=ram), and in fact sGmixer was then correctly called by the mixer button at the far right in mhWaveEdit's task bar as well as by the "Launch mixer" tab in the recording monitor window. The other option seemingly is to compile all over again after changing "xmixer" to "sgmixer" in the source... Any volunteer?
Could be a job for ttuuxxx the super-compiler! :P He's been looking for a new challenge and a PM to him would likely be met with a positive response. 8)

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#303 Post by WhoDo »

tom4jesus wrote:To me it just seems like one of the whole points of using Seamonkey in the first place is to have a suite. From a strictly browser standpoint Firefox and its derivatives ie, firepup, icecat have more functionality when it comes to displaying web content.
Agreed. I've asked ttuuxxx to add the Mail/News module to his latest compile of Seamonkey-1.1.14 in time for the next build.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tom4jesus

#304 Post by tom4jesus »

WhoDo wrote:
tom4jesus wrote:To me it just seems like one of the whole points of using Seamonkey in the first place is to have a suite. From a strictly browser standpoint Firefox and its derivatives ie, firepup, icecat have more functionality when it comes to displaying web content.
Agreed. I've asked ttuuxxx to add the Mail/News module to his latest compile of Seamonkey-1.1.14 in time for the next build.
\

I saw that you asked him to also make a pet for the repository which would be a good alternative if it is not in the final build.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and you can't please everyone. Please don't change anything on my account, I just want to be able to have access to use the full Seamonkey suite in 4.2 and having it in the repository would be great.

As far as browsers alone go I actually think the firefox derivatives ie. firepup and icecat are better for some things. They have more plug-ins and display a lot of the newer web-content that Seamonkey does not. I use Icecat in addition to Seamonkey in 4.1.2 now for that reason. But I still like Seamonkey better :wink:

I am trying 4.2a2 now and I set up Sylpheed to give it a try, and I was correct, it converts all email to text not showing in-bedded pictures or html. That makes it faster and more secure but I personally like having html content in my email. Unless there is a way to configure it to show html?
[u]Netbook[/u]; Compaq cq10 with Quirky008,Ubuntu 9.10,W7 :oops:

`f00

oh so true, but it's not for lack of trying

#305 Post by `f00 »

Yepper, T4J...

(sry for the long-ish nature, but here `tis)
Yes, I tried the alpha1 - and indeed it was/is as fun as a puppy. Frisky was mentioned, I believe. A few bumps for sure, lol I lost the taskbar (no worries there, had a spare handy as also a few other files for quick copy/transplant justin case. Incredible, .jwmrc_tray and the bak were blank files when I finally opened `em - possibly a lesson there for those who understand how such a thing happens. The gui config for the toptray didn't work (was half expecting it to not since trying the original and the second effort - not terribly enthused with the creation of a whole new set of apps in /root/my-applications in that either and the alpha seems to not do that thankfully perhaps). Pfind wanted me to jump thru hoops in the alpha (entering a search term twice is just awkward, if a user needs advanced *then* the hoops - a n00B won't be so apt to use it if its not type-and-enter, just do it and give me some paths to follow). Changing to my preferred iconset went without a hitch - since I only have a few on the desktop for droptargets it's not much effort to get the preferred ones I like after clearing the deck. Usually I scale the driveicons also (as a theme) and the orange mainmenu 24's stayed since only the driveicons were changed as such - so it's actually better for me to have them as separate in this case .. possibly an option for the next v to have user-chosen scalability (a choice of 48, 32, 24 16 gives versatility - 48's seem too big to me usually). One nice thing toptray and wbar do is scale to fit. A menu item for what's now popouts(?) on either side would be preferable imo - the toptray deal hangs `til I maus down towards either side or btm tray. If only jwm was to be used as wm, I could see the point - otherwise I'm more in favor of wbar since it works in almost all wms I use (lxde is an exception, perhaps) it works fine in icewm, openbox, blackbox and afterstep for sure as well as jwm. PG's failsafe for .2fs will be nice for those with frugals (raises hand sheepishly when the class is asked who's been nipped .. nasty, that). Not sure if the alpha saved properly (possibly I made some oddnesses all on my own, so no report on that). A 'regular' conky works well in Zigbert's widget thingie once it's modded a bit (and the conky/widget deal kinda-sorta worked almost as well as wbar across a variety of wms but I may have unstabilized it .. xerrslog reports the geometry settings lines as not a proper config or somesuch but they mostly work except in certain circumstances in AS - like if conky gets inadvertently killed the y geometry is topsy-turvy if conky -d is used to restart in-session but oki from a clean start).

Big thanks for the tcl and tk pets :) (wasn't aware that they were lacking in the 4 series, was wondering why dependency checker said all's cool when some add-on pets were no-shows). The Opera 10a pet seems fine as far as I can tell, looking forward to a standard sm1114. A word or so about including some basic app documentation *locally* - was playing with p202-Opera (MeanPup, I think) and how refreshing .. aside from the quite decent ROX help, there's basically nada locally anymore for the n00B ("command-line what?") included on the basic iso. I've got a .zip for the Opera 9 series from http://www.iMilly.com/files/op9hlp.zip 77kb (a TOC of local Help and pages is kind of a good idea before you even go online to help the user get comfy .. gee, I seem to recall there may have been a pretty good one in SeaMonkey at one time but times change :-\). And MTPaint's got a .zip Help for download. Nice to have local packages (like a book you don't need to go to the library for, eh?) Needn't be that big of a shelf, just .. like T4J mentioned, most new users got no idea of what the apps do beyond click and hunh .. I know I was guessing (wrong) a lot on MTPaint `til I got my zip.

Catching up with another 5 pp in this thread - mmhm, the 'shutdown' menu/sub has always been non-intuitive for me (I agree totally with making it Cancel, Lock, Reboot and Powerdown since those seem to be the major options). I started another menu/sub named Change.. for restarting X, various wms with varying results of success - AS has issues with PuppyPin, I think, but the silly driveicon deal (pup_event?) and general 'desktop' stuff gets lost without a pinboard as such - and dropping to prompt. Rox works great, but PuppyPin is one of those bumps that makes changing wms a pain sometimes (like how many ways to set the bg and which gets drawn?).

Which kind of leads into styles or themes - lol, pwidgets is better without the added complexity (imo) of theming. It's like the jwmtoptray, *only* useful in limited circumstances (please count this as a vote for wbar as being a more universal solution for a launcher at this point in time .. heck, xerrslog even points out easy hints if the icon-image or path is not right .. plus it's a godsend if the menu for the wm is strange - happened to me with the pets for openbox and xfce4). My two mainstays are wbar and conkywidget for jumping into wms (sure, you can run lots from cl but generally I like clear and present launcher and info .. sometimes even the best menu is too much digging or reading or which sub is the app I want in?).

Insert opinion here. Is it just me, or does a lot of visual confusion result from themes and app icons? MMhm, asked&answered in P42 Desktop and Artwork, p18 - it'll happen for P5; Not to take away from some wonderful work on the new look, but there seems to me to be some serious drawbacks. Like whether something is a generic 'default' or hmm - the TT-style icons are prime examples (Abiword is not Geany is not Leafpad is not a font selector, etc .. and no, for sure the tried and true larger ones may possibly not quite 'match' a theme-as-such but I'd prefer a little clash to ambiguous looks and yep, it's a lil' rough in the tiny sizes but at least xfce tries).

Ahh - now for the 2nd alfa :)...:(not too lively:""" someday maybe I'll give firepup a go;

And some playing with a save2CD for alpha1 - arrgh, after a few days and too much pet consumption and the usual round of 4-5 (maybe 6 altogether if one counts openbox) wms and some sm skins and documentation and uh-oh all those nice ttf fonts finally 'broke' it (dread the inevitable "RAM full" on CDs, but what can I say .. it had to be done and I actually observed a few minor things which I may recall once I'm over the trauma;) .. so, while I'm dl'ing DTa3 .. YES, I know troubleshooting printing is of vital importance but I would dearly love to see some puplets released with no printing support at all (is there anyone else who feels likewise?) since I gave up on home printing years ago (paper's cheap, ink is dear). Screenies? sure, since this may be one of the last posts in the alpha1 thread.. links to the fullsize (182-449kb)
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/2/5/f_sm1114nmnm_1456672.png
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/2/5/f_P42axfcem_eccb469.png
http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/2/5/f_ozricjwmm_c7ac1c6.png

heck, I'll even embed the small ones
Attachments
pagerleft.png
(16.33 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times
toptray.png
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times

mrbulldog

Puppy 4..2alpha

#306 Post by mrbulldog »

How the hell is anyone supposed to download anything from this link? "http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha"
Do only the privileged few get to know the username & password that is required for this website?

ttuuxxx

Re: Puppy 4..2alpha

#307 Post by ttuuxxx »

mrbulldog wrote:How the hell is anyone supposed to download anything from this link? "http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha"
Do only the privileged few get to know the username & password that is required for this website?
user=puppy
password=linux

But why are you testing a very old model?? thats been updated atleast 6 times since that release, heres the current model
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39100
we did like 4 alphas
2 betas
1RC so far.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

DMcCunney

#308 Post by DMcCunney »

WhoDo wrote:
If he hasn't tried it, ttuuxxx might want to look at using

"ac_add_options --enable-static --disable-libxul" as part of his build configuration for SM.
These options build a larger single executable, which has components linked statically. --enable-static requires --disable-libxul. If you use --enable-static, it is recommended that you also --disable-tests. This option is not recommended for Firefox. It still exists only for Thunderbird and SeaMonkey which cannot yet build in the libxul configuration.
(More details are at https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Config ... ld_Options )

I asked a question on the Mozillazine forums about compiling FF3 static. Opera 9.63 loads here in about half the time SF or FF require. Poking around, I see Opera is mostly one big executable with few libraries or other files it must access. FF and SM are small executables with a batch of library and other files they must access and instantiate. I thought perhaps a static build might cut down on some of that.

It's apparently not possible for FF, which uses the libxul configuration, but is still possible for SM 1.X (but not SM 2.0).

I run Puppy on a notebook with an old, slow HD with low transfer rates. Things all run well enough once loaded, but loading can take a while. (Opera takes about 20 seconds. FF and SM 1.14 take about 45 seconds. Eclipse takes about a minute and a half... :P ) I think I'm getting killed by disk I/O when multiple files must be accessed, and I suspect I'm not the only one who would see the same issue.

It would be interesting to see if a static build of SM offered better load times.
______
Dennis

cretsiah

puppy4.2rc1 Dlink problem with open network

#309 Post by cretsiah »

puppy4.2rc1 output :

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

puppy4.0 output:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 RT61 Wireless ESSID:"default" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:17:9A:F5:20:27
Bit Rate=24 Mb/s
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Link Quality=57/100 Signal level:-72 dBm Noise level:-103 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1E:58:A4:E1:31
inet addr:192.168.0.119 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2818 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:158 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:13 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:214946 (209.9 KiB) TX bytes:6278 (6.1 KiB)
Interrupt:9

ttuuxxx

#310 Post by ttuuxxx »

DMcCunney wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
If he hasn't tried it, ttuuxxx might want to look at using

"ac_add_options --enable-static --disable-libxul" as part of his build configuration for SM.

Dennis
Hi DMcCunney

There issues about building one large bin, for one thing you can't properly strip the files, It also really increases the overall size by a lot and takes a lot more system resources to run, sure it might be a little faster because it totally loads 100% on execution but think about it all min 33MB will be loaded, when you use seamonkey now it only maybe 7-8MB, then if you load mail it increases, or if you start building webpages it increases or read mail news it increases, etc.
Building a single browser as a bin would be ok, but not with all the addons, The reason why Opera is quicker, is because it uses its own backend, it doesn't use gecko. They make a bin file so its harder to view the internals, because it isn't open sourced.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)