Is there anything like MouseKeys for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
AlbinoClock

Is there anything like MouseKeys for Puppy?

#1 Post by AlbinoClock »

I have one mouse between two computers, and I'd rather find a way to use my keyboard to control the cursor in Puppy than keep switching it back and forth or get a new mouse. I know this can be done in Windows with MouseKeys, but is there anything similar that will run under Puppy?

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

i just had a quick google, and you can use your numeric keypad to control your mouse, by pressing Shift + NumLock.

The arrow keys move the cursor up, down, right or left, 1,3,7 & 9 move diagonally, and 5 for click.

0 and enter can also be used to select & click.

AlbinoClock

#3 Post by AlbinoClock »

Hah! Thanks, I couldn't find a thing. Do you happen to know how to right-click with the keypad?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

the only thing i could find is Shift + F10. There may be another way of right-clicking with a keyboard...we'll see if anyone has any other solutions.

TheProphet

#5 Post by TheProphet »

To turn the orientation from left-button to right-button you hit the - key on
the numeric keypad, to change it back hit the backslash / key on the numeric

to 'click and hold" like for selecting text or anything else, hit the '0" key and to release hit the Del key.

To double click hit the + key.

The even number keys are horizontal and vertical, the odd keys are diagonal, and the 5 = single click.

For a really good 'getting used to it' training do something like mah-jong or shisen sho game using only the mousekeys.

Now for MY question.

Ya si es posible, could somebody point the way to where exactly the default settings for mousekeys is?

I could look through the /etc and /opt directories but it would be quicker if somebody told me.

What it's doing that annoys me is that it times out after about 20 seconds and I have to reactivate it.

I'd really like to have it set as my default pointer device.

These kinds of mouse don't actually thrive on cookie crumbs, so I have to clean mouses frequently.

Less use of mouse = less cleaning of mouse.

Then I can eat at my workstation and only mess up the keyboard.

Oh, and if I recall correctly using the shift or Ctrl +Shift key speeds up the pointer.

OK, tried to do it just now and results = inconclusive.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

TheProphet wrote:Now for MY question.

Ya si es posible, could somebody point the way to where exactly the default settings for mousekeys is?
This isn't something that Puppy is doing directly... it's probably Xorg, in which case it's probably in the files in /etc/X11/xkb.
Since this isn't Puppy-specific you should be able to just google for it (or look somewhere like the Ubuntu forums) and the solutions will be the same (more or less).

Note that you might be able to just change how the mouse is defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or add an additional, like is done with touchpads), so you'll never have to set it at all...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind