Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 06:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy not Presario friendly?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
racepres

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 12:40    Post subject:  

cobalt: Believe it or not I just dug up a presario 5000, still got xp on it from someone on the 20g hdd. Put 64m of ram into it and gave it a go! Note: for some reason 2x32M modules was a definite No Go!~! but a single 64M was just fine... maybe one of my old 32's is bad.. Anyway I booted into 2.02 opera, 3.01 WhiteFang, and official release 4.1.2 [not r]
Result... 4.1.2 seems the fastest to come up and actually left 27M unused!! Longest hangup was booting the kernel.. but that was not terribly slow really min or so. Did Not select any boot options pfix= none of that.. just mindlessly let er rip.. Seems useable certainly, but I would definitly go w/ at least 128 of ram if poss. The nvidea card seems to have 32M onboard, not like another horrendous compaq example that don't have the cd/boot option, and the vid card steals 8M of MB Ram.
Now that I have a piece like yours... maybe I can help some. First thing for me were I you.... use that darn checksum, don't use memorex disks, don't use cdrw disk, that last just because it has caused probs on some other "marginal" equip. I have tried, but the 5000 did not seem to notice... better to be safe tho. HTH. RP
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 13:46    Post subject: Thoughts  

Canbyte, Backing up a bit. On the computer you are thinking of putting the swap file. Do you have information on it that you want to save? What I am getting at, if you do not have any information on the computer you want to save, then I would feel very free about suggesting things to do to the hard drive. If you are trying to keep stuff on that hard drive, maybe including a Windows install, then I would be more circumspect in suggesting what you might try, that might lose that info. Might you have an extra hard drive laying around you can plug in for the duration of the experiment.

If there is nothing on the hard drive that you want to save. Then yes, start the Gparted program in Puppy, or download and burn the Gparted iso from Source Forge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

If one is trying to keep a Windows install. One might use the appropriate tools to make sure the file structure is OK and do a Defrag.

I feel the Gparted program is fairly intuitive to use. That is, one does not need to read a lot of instructions to use it. Notice you can change the size of partitions with a graphical interface. One of the options in formatting a partition is "Linux Swap." I would create the small Linux partition on the very far end of the graphical interface. (the right hand side as one looks at the Gparted interface) A Linux Swap file reserves the entire partition where it resides, whether it uses it or not. yes, in some case, I have seen Puppy automatically creating a small file that has the name swap on my home drive. I do not know what the circumstances are that Puppy uses to determine to create it. This is not the kind of specialized Linux Swap file that I am advocating you to use.

A Windows swap file usually resides on the same partition of all the rest of the install, and has a special file name.

How to block Ads. If one downloads Firefox to use, then one can use Add Ons. Add Ons are specialized free programs that can be found by going to "Tools tab' in Firefox. I think the one you want is "Flashblock" Firefox is more resource intensive program than Mozilla. After one starts to use the internet then the "Add Ons" help a lot. Especially on Dial Up. If You install Java, you might want the Firefox "Add On" "No Script."

I notice, on the forum, that those who talk about configuring a computer with 128 MB or less of RAM often choose a hard drive install and a Linux Swap file.

When you said you created more RAM in a Dell (256), did you mean you physically added more RAM?

cobalt06

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 16:47    Post subject:  

Thanks to ghost and race for your responses. Sorry for not checking back sooner, but I have been busy trying to learn this stuff and also trying some of your good advise. The good news is that a puppy has been born!! I decided to give an older version a try 1.0.8 It is running, but after reading through your advise, I now know that I should have gone with 2.x to get the swap feature. I now have a bootable hdd. My next challenge has been to set a swap file, and/or swap partition. I am wondering though, if I should go back to trying a newer version at this point. Am I getting too cocky? BTW, I am limited to 127m ram. Again, thanks for the help, and thanks to those who have created all this. I look forward to being free from ms windows. Been a prisoner for way too long hehe.
racepres

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 19:53    Post subject:  

cobalt: I truly believe that the stable 4.2.1 release is what you want. 128 is enough ram w/o a swap part. I can't help but feel that there was something amiss w/ your iso or burner or..... I don't know, something! While to be honest White Fang is still my all time favorite puplet [based on 3.0.1 I believe], the good ole 4.2.1 is fast and powerful... and free to download and try again... $0.02. RP
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 22:28    Post subject: Have you read ----  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38961

I closely watch the comments of Raffy Sage and MU, all are much more knowledgeable, experienced than I.

canbyte

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2009, 17:28    Post subject: Re: Thoughts  

Thanks for all the info on swap files. Probably wont do anything since i finally solved the problem by switching things around. The Compaq and Dell both got my extra memory sticks. I switched to using the faster Compaq (now 375mb) as my main machine: puppy 412 and winME (not dual boot). Dell is now secondary machine w 256mb so is restricted to non business browsing. Crashing gone! whew Thanks all.
cobalt06

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 01:50    Post subject:  

I am making progress (turtle rate). I was quite proud that i was finally able to get 1.0.8 to run. HDD is bootable, grub runs well. HDD is formatted linux with 512m swap partition. The meter on the bottom right does not seem to get too high but the darn thing still freezes up solid if I ask too much of it. I did try a new ISO burn of 4.2.1. I did get it to start, but it too freezes solid if I ask too much of it. Can't handle going online, it could not even do a spell check with out freezing. I may try 3.01 just for giggles. Oh, something that I found odd. 1.0.8 will only run with xorg, while 4.2.1 with xvesa.
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 22:12    Post subject: Hypothesis, could the hang be from?  

Overheating? Overheating main processor. An overheating hard drive? Maybe a flaky hard drive? If the RAM counter in the lower right hand corner does not go to red and nearly to zero at hang. Then maybe think about testing for those other things.

If you know the manufacturer for the hard drive, you can get a hard drive diagnostic program from the manufacturer.

Off the top of my head. I can not quite guess how to max out the processor while being offline.

There is the power supply. I am not sure which Mother board monitor is already created for Puppy four.

Do you have a serial port mouse?

cobalt06

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2009, 15:40    Post subject:  

I'm still tryin' !! Still not a reliable system yet. Last night I had v1.0.8 running off hdd. So, I thought I'd let it run and see what happens. It went to sleep, and that's how I found it this morning. It woke fine. Tried to run an app and it froze. This is consistent. I can get it to run, put up a swap partition, but when I try to run apps, it will eventually freeze up.

Thanks for suggestions ghost. I am leaning in the direction that there may be something wrong with hardware. I just unplugged the hdd and gave it a whirl. No real difference. I can get a good boot, seems to be running fine, but when I open an app to do anything...freeze! So, now I have to wonder if I have bad ram? I did test it and says ok. Bad mother board? Or is it possible to have corrupt application files on the cd even if the os will run? I don't know much about IDE settings, could that be a potential direction?
dogle

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 16:13    Post subject:  

cobalt06, just a quick suggestion-

With your Puppy 4.1.2 running, try clicking on the 'console' icon and when the rxvt box appears, just type the word free followed by <return> key. This should give you an immediate description of the memory/swap resources your Puppy is actually seeing, and may save you time in avoiding false trails in your diagnosis. What does it say?
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 19:39    Post subject:  

BK is onto you lot.

" I didn't read the thread at the time, but yesterday as I was driving home from Perth I stopped at a little "opportunity shop" in one of the country towns, run by a local church. Hey, they had a Presario sitting there, so I bought it, A$20 including 17inch monitor. It's model 7594, specs here: "

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00587

Chris
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 20:34    Post subject:  

cobalt

It has been suggested that you may have an overheating/freeze/crash problem, but my take on it is a video driver problem

My suggestion is to try version 2.14R which I find to be the most stable older version with best hardware recognition

The other way you'll get better help, is if you give better info about your hardware - make/model numbers + ram size + videocard, if you know
& please be specific about what crash symptoms you get - particular websites use flash adverts/googleads & other cpu intensive things, if your video isn't configured properly, so note what you are doing when it crashes/freezes
The fact that you say 'uses xvesa' is the clue, as xorg is preferable IMHO, if it will run, as it is more likely to use the videocards accelerated functions, which will make screenloads faster, - however, if ram is too low, this will affect it, as a badly setup video will use some of your ram & processor cycles

Aitch Smile
8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar 2009, 01:21    Post subject:  

Mismatched memory as to speed and type can also cause headaches
I know because I junked an IBM desktop that constantly locked up and found the 2 memory modules were mismatched.
Another computer I built with a motherboard from a computer repair shop that the tech told me would just lock up after running for a while had the processor supply voltage jumpers set wrong.
I also had an old IBM 8086 that literally had a chip on the motherboard blow up when I fired it up with a defective modem card.
That one, I unsoldered the remains of the old chip, soldered on a replacment chip, and it still worked just fine! Go figure.
So in trying to determine problems check your hardware.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 14 May 2009, 12:26    Post subject: Puppy 2.14R  

Aitch wrote:
cobalt

It has been suggested that you may have an overheating/freeze/crash problem, but my take on it is a video driver problem

My suggestion is to try version 2.14R which I find to be the most stable older version with best hardware recognition

The other way you'll get better help, is if you give better info about your hardware - make/model numbers + ram size + videocard, if you know
& please be specific about what crash symptoms you get - particular websites use flash adverts/googleads & other cpu intensive things, if your video isn't configured properly, so note what you are doing when it crashes/freezes
The fact that you say 'uses xvesa' is the clue, as xorg is preferable IMHO, if it will run, as it is more likely to use the videocards accelerated functions, which will make screenloads faster, - however, if ram is too low, this will affect it, as a badly setup video will use some of your ram & processor cycles

Aitch Smile

Hi. I'm trying to get an old computer at my local community centre working and to that end have downloaded a copy of Puppy 2.14R, but when I try it out on my own machine I get this message on bootup;

Usage; init

Init is the parent of all processes

and then the computer hangs before starting X Windows; well sort of, because I can still type in text and it will be displayed. The problem is that the machine won't respond to what I type in.

Could anyone tell me what is going wrong please?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .
Aitch

PostPosted: Thu 14 May 2009, 16:44    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic

You have a kernel panic Laughing

If you'd like to start a new thread, we'll see what we can do to sort it out

Aitch Smile
Page 2 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: