Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MUguest

#261 Post by MUguest »

Newyearspup uses Xorg 7.4, that has updated drivers.
Xorg 7.4 is available as seperate package from wows unnamed puplet (the base of newyearspup).

See:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36592

xorg 7.4:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120

xinput/mesa:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30
(note: needs DRI Kernelmodules that must be compiled for the Kernel, so the included ones will not work for you, as they are for 2.6.27.5)

devx:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=60

For Ati, I added Catalyst 8.12, and for Nvidia 3 different proprietary drivers.

Mark

dinky

#262 Post by dinky »

Thanks Mark, that's our path then, seems we need to update the xorg in Ripple to 7.4. The DRI kernel modules will be interesting... compiling has never been my strong point.

Thinking ahead to Barry's project Woof,, is it possible we could utilise this for Ripple's next build? Support for easy package management is still pending, however currently we're able to make a build of puppy from either Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, or Arch repositories. I'll have to look more closely at the build scripts, but we should be able to hack it to use any packages we want. Rather than spending time compiling a new kernel, and/or the drm modules, etc, wouldn't it be simpler to use another distros binaries that already exist? It may not be, but I'd like to move Ripple to full compatibility with another main distro soon anyway. Puppy is a great project, but the current system of package management is very uninspiring, to say the least. We need something like apt-get, or petch, that will make it very easy to install software. Compatibility with another distros packages, and building Ripple from them, would be a huge step int that direction.

Hope to get some talk moving in this direction. My preference is building on Ubuntu, because it is so widely supported, and I have lots of experience already with that distro. I'm open to suggestions though. Debian, or either of the others is also a possibility.

Re the wnopo dump, I haven't included it, and yes you did suggest it. I'll get on making a pet of Rippledump, which can be installed for testing, and include this with Ripples next release. Cheers!

~Mitchell

dinky

#263 Post by dinky »

rhadon wrote:Hi dinky,

just downloaded ripple_06-5. Will test it soon.

I followed Barry's blog about Woof since Christmas and the thread since several days. I try to build Puppy by Woof since 3 days. Four times I failed (3x it was my own stupid fault). Maybe now I will wait for the next revision. It's really amazing. :D

The following phrase gave me courage:
Never be afraid of doing tasks you are not familiar with. Noah's Ark was built by an amateur. Professionals have built the Titanic...

Greetings
Rolf

BTW, I like to use ripple as my main system. So it's only fair to spend a little bit time (maybe also blood sweat and tears :wink: ). If there is anything I can do, please tell me.
Hey Rolf, there are a few things it would be great to have help with now. You remember when you boot up Ripple from a fresh install (no pup_save file) how it goes through the screens of the xorgwizard, and then the cfwizard script? One really important thing I haven't done yet is to hack the text in the xorgwizard so that it works for Ripple.... on the page that asks what resolution the user wants, it needs to say that in order to use accelerated graphics, and Compiz-fusion, it's crucial to choose the x24 option, as x16 won't work. the script itself does't need changing, just the text we see within the script. I believe you'll find it in /usr/sbin/xorgwizard

If you're keen to give it ago, any other changes you can think of for Ripple (regarding the text we see, not the script) would be fine also, we'll have a look at it later. I'll also need help at some point with the graphical configuration of Ripple, juggling the dockbar, widgets, icons, and artwork. I'm keen to add a bootsplash via Pebble to Ripple's startup, and am also looking for interesting images, something ripple-esque. Speak soon people,

~dinky

rhadon

#264 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

here it is. I added two lines:

#308: \Z1Note: Ripple with Compiz Fusion needs Xorg! \Z0
#844: echo '\Z1IMPORTANT: For COMPIZ FUSION you must use __x__x24 mode!\Z0' >> /tmp/choosexmodedlg

~ Rolf

Edit: If you want a complete change e.g. "Ripple Xorg Wizard" instead of "Puppy Xorg Wizard" please tell me.

Edit2: Here 's a picture of my desktop, trying to see most of the tiger.
Attachments
Arrangement_of_applets.jpg
(55.98 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
xorgwizard.tar.gz
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

dinky

#265 Post by dinky »

Great work Rolf, and thanks for the desktop pic. I'll have a look at the script later, when I boot into Puppy again. Just on a job to return a repair computer across town... they said they were having a barbecue, hope there's some free beer. Was looking at another computer yeterday and managed a gin and tonic out of it...lol. Would just as soon do as little as possible today...anyway.

Eventually it would be good to edit more and have things Ripple centric, however we should make a decision how far along that route we'd like to go. I think Ripple being based on Puppy is great, and don't mind if the scripts and such show that. Anyway, will write more later. Cheers.

~dinky

rhadon

#266 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

just found a very good foto gallery with fascinating pictures about nature, weather, rain and so on.
On the right side you can select, e.g. "Regen"= rain and "Regenbogen" = rainbow :wink:

The pictures are not free of licence and I'm not familiar with things like copyright. But I think if you like one, you can ask, or I can do it for you. :D

http://www.wetter-foto.de

I'm sure you will like it.

cheers

Rolf

Aitch

#267 Post by Aitch »

Dinky

Bootsplash?

Have a look here, might interest you

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27471

Package management discussion here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39015

Big_Bass seems to have Slack pkgmanager working OK for his Slackpup, but I don't know, but think he made a new kernel? - not sure if you want to go this route? - Maybe PM him?

Good Luck

Aitch :)

dinky

#268 Post by dinky »

Awesome Rolf, truly great site. I couldn't find anything that spoke about the license, can you look into it for me? If we could use those photos, that would be great.

Thanks also for those links Aitch. I've seen the bootsplash one before, and thought that would be great for a live cd. Perhaps with some of the pictures Rolf found we could have a winner.... also want to create something with Pebble.

~dinky

rhadon

#269 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

sorry for the bad news but under use conditions is written:

Further copyright is valid. It is forbidden to copy pictures from this site to publish to print to etc.

I have translated it, so maybe not every word is correct but the sence should be clear.
As I told you, I'm not familiar with this stuff. I think for using one in Ripple we need the permission from the owner of the picture. If you find one you really like, I can contact the owner of the website for the email adress.

~ Rolf

dinky

#270 Post by dinky »

Hi Rolf, thanks for checking. That might get time consuming. I'll have a look and see what I can find, but I wonder if finding something that's creative commons might be easier. We could check out Pool, an Australian site with most of the work under creative commons, though we'll have to search to find anything. It's at: http://www.pool.org.au

Otherwise, there must be other sites that are creative commons Will be in touh.

rhadon

#271 Post by rhadon »

aarf wrote:there is a difficulty in determining what graphics card is actually in an unknown computer. else it would be easier to test ripple in icafes or showrooms.
With Woof Alpha2 I get the right info of my graphics card in the area 'PCI device' from Hardinfo :wink:
Maybe this helps.

~ Rolf

dinky

#272 Post by dinky »

What kernel is Barry using for woof Alpha2? Havn't gotten around to making a build from it myself yet. My plan is to use woof to make the Ubuntu version, then see if I can get compiz-fusion with the Ripple scripts working on it. I think we might solve some of our issues with packages from the ubuntu repositories regarding support for the atom chipsets... as wwell as other hardware issues. Will be a heck of a lot easier to find packages and test what works at any rate. Anyone keen to have a go before I get to it I'm happy to provide support. It might be another week or so before I can play around much. Cheers.

dinky

aarf

#273 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote: With Woof Alpha2 I get the right info of my graphics card in the area 'PCI device' from Hardinfo :wink:
Maybe this helps.

~ Rolf
Thanks rhadon. ripple hardinfo looks like the attached image, which means nothing too me. is it that the info is only available in woof or do i need to interpret something.
Attachments
PCI.png
(92.57 KiB) Downloaded 1109 times

rhadon

#274 Post by rhadon »

@ dinky
Woof Alpha2 is build with kernel 2.6.27.4.
I have just only tested the iso. For now there are only Slackware, Woof and Puppy repos available.

@ aarf
This info I found only by Woof. Not with Puppy 4.2 and not with Ripple.

Glad to help
Rolf
Attachments
Hardinfo-Woof_2.png
(88.91 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

dinky

#275 Post by dinky »

Awesome. Woof alpha2 supports the package repositories form whatever distro it's built from... technically. It's only been tested on Slackware so far, but should work in theory for Ubuntu, Debian, etc.

Rolf, can you find the compiz thread, and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso? try and find the packages he recommends from slackware's repositories though... I think this might fix some of our problems. It would be useful to find out which versions of xorg are available from slackware, and which version we currently have in Puppy.

I'd recommend, rather than installing a windows manager that supports compositing, to copy the /usr/sbin/ripple script over and use that. You'll need to install cairo-dock for this. Good luck, and let me know how you go.

~dinky

rhadon

#276 Post by rhadon »

dinky wrote:...and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso?
are you sure? Everything tombh wrote here in this forum since End of Nov.08 was posted in the Ripple section. I found nothing about Woof and compiz. Maybe you mean NewYearsPup and MU?

~Rolf
Edit: Since today Lobster is trying get compiz working with Woof2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39195

aarf

#277 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:
dinky wrote:...and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso?
are you sure? Everything tombh wrote here in this forum since End of Nov.08 was posted in the Ripple section. I found nothing about Woof and compiz. Maybe you mean NewYearsPup and MU?

~Rolf
Edit: Since today Lobster is trying get compiz working with Woof2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39195
this one ?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32242

rhadon

#278 Post by rhadon »

Hi aarf,
I don't think so, because as I understand the problem with Atom chipset it's a problem of xorg7.3 instead of xorg7.4.
This thread is about Puppy till 4.1.2 with xorg7.3
Anyhow thank's for the answer.

@ dinky
with slackware pckage finder http://slackfind.net/en/
I can only find:
xorg-cf-files-1.0.2-noarch-1 (also in repo slackware-12.2-official of Woof)
xorg-server-1.3.0.0-i486-2 and
xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.0.90-i486-1

Rolf

dinky

#279 Post by dinky »

I had thought of using that thread aarf pointed you to, even though it's for an earlier version of xorg. i thought some of the same idea might have carried across... worth a try. Anyway, it's hard to know what, if anything, would be the equivalent within the slackware packages...

Looks like Lobster gave up on Compiz-fusion, finding it too hard. 2 other possibilities... look at Slackware and see how they are running compiz-fusion.... look at New Years Pup and look at either using (possibly difficult as we might need the later kernel) their xorg, or figuring out how to compile the latest version ourself. No idea what we'd need to do to get compositing working with various cards under 7.4. There may be documentation from it in the Xorg project, there may not be, tombh's thread may shed some light on it.

If you get a chance, see how you go tracking down the latest xorg, and what our options are: using a later kernel, rebuilding from woof, compiling a new xorg ourselves, etc. I think this is the first step, and we'll work on compiz from there. Cheers.

~dinky

rhadon

#280 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

it should be possible to use xorg7.4 with our kernel, i think this post from wow is a good start:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=121
Quote:
Can the xorg from this puppy work on other puppies? If so what must be done to get it to work?

Yes, it should work (I compiled it in Puppy-4.10) as long as you have these dependencies already installed: dbus-1.2.6, dbus-glib-0.78, hal-0.5.11, hal-info (any recent package) and udev-130. If you want 3D acceleration: Mesa-7.2, drm-2.3.1(libs and kernel modules)
In this post wow also offers his xorg-7.4 binary package (maybe the best solution). My problem: I have no clue how to install/compile it. :oops:
Kirk describes how to config xorg7.4 without HAL here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=33

Today I build a SlackPuppy from tarball with Woof alpha2. It works :D (my very first Puppy from tarball).
Great adventage: you can choose to build it with kernel2.6.25.16 or 2.6.27.4.
Then I tried to install CF. Installing was successful but it doesn't work because some libs and dependencies are missing. So I must find out were to find and maybe how to install (if not possible with Package Manager).
Also like to try it based on Ubuntu but too much all at once.
The speed of developing Woof is really impressing!
I believe Ripple made by Woof would be great! But I have no clue is it possible or when.
That's all for now (I'm tired)

~ Rolf