ALSA configuration for Intel HD Audio

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rezpup

Speaker still on when Headphones are plugged in.

#41 Post by rezpup »

I have an ACER Aspire One (120G version)
# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC268

I've added the following line to my /etc/modprobe.conf file

options snd-hda-intel model=acer

Sound works, but when I plug in my headphones, sound still comes out the speaker, is there a something I could do to fix this? - Thanks

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

Sound works, but when I plug in my headphones, sound still comes out the speaker, is there a something I could do to fix this?
alsa 1.1.17+ may be the answer...it is for some other cards with the same problem and use the same driver module.....

mike

paullecorde

#43 Post by paullecorde »

I have a Compaq Presario C770US laptop. The on-board speakers work correctly. However, the headphones and microphone jacks do not work. When I open zmixer, the master and pcm bars work but the others (cd/line in/mic) do not.

The name of the sound card is a snd-hda-intel card, specifically "Conexant ID 5051 ". This card doesn't seem to have full support with the version of ALSA in Puppy 4.0 (v1.0.14).

I would be willing to give up the on-board speakers to get the headphones and microphone jacks working if there is a simple way to do that. Otherwise, does anyone have suggestions on how to get and install the the version of ALSA which will support all function of this sound card?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Paul

rjbrewer

#44 Post by rjbrewer »

Try this:

Menu>multimedia>alsamixer

left-right arrows select device....up-down arrows for volume
m-key for off-on...tab-key for capture etc.

alsa and sgmixer are linked

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

paullecorde

#45 Post by paullecorde »

Thanks rjb for the suggestion.

I have tried to adjust alsamixer and zmixer and sgmixer, but still the line and mic tabs don't work and I don't get sound from the jacks.

I have also tried adding options to the /etc/modprobe.conf file like was suggested by rezpup in early posts in this thread. That didn't work either.

Paul

jeffjeff

FujitsuS7020 working. How get the keyb soundControl working?

#46 Post by jeffjeff »

I've been tearing my hair about the sound. On a slightly different model I got the sound going with TeenPup just using the Audio Wizard (though I had to try a couple variant).

On this model, S7020, I tried older and 2008 Teenpup without success. The master control in the mixer would be locked at the bottom.Tried 2.15 CE, Pup 3, pup 4 without getting it working. (Though I must admit I didn't check then to see if the headphone output may have been working in spite of no loudspeaker sound)

After read this thread, i checked the hardware: realtek ALC260 and then I added an option model=fujitsu and now it is working with Puppy 4.1.12. At first I just got sound on the headphones output. The mixers are a bit odd.

With sgmixer the control "phone out" actually controls the speaker. and pcm2 controls the headphones.

With the AlsaMixer one had to "scroll" to the right quite a ways before seeing "speaker". It is rather unusual that the headphone doesn't cut out the speakers, they can be modified independently.

Anyone know a way to get the Keyboard controls to influence the sound? Like [Fn]+[F9] = raise volume, etc.

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

Anyone know a way to get the Keyboard controls to influence the sound? Like [Fn]+[F9] = raise volume, etc.
xbindkeys works a treat...one binary and a config file and pretty simple to set up.(not worth using the gui). Then use it in conjunction with a little script or directly to set volumes via say setvol command.
setvolhttp://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html
With the AlsaMixer one had to "scroll" to the right quite a ways before seeing "speaker". It is rather unusual that the headphone doesn't cut out the speakers, they can be modified independently.
when we eventually get an alsa update a card here does the same thing...odd ... could use xbindkeys for mute and restore speaker volume...there is probably a way of detecting headphones inserted via /proc/asound...... try cat /proc/asound... various files to test.

regards

mike

rjbrewer

#48 Post by rjbrewer »

Jeffjeff

A few mentions of fujitsu sound here:

http://tilos.csl.mech.ntua.gr/~apoikos/s7020.html

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tempestuous

#49 Post by tempestuous »

jeffjeff wrote:Anyone know a way to get the Keyboard controls to influence the sound? Like [Fn]+[F9] = raise volume, etc.
The current convention is to use the "acpid" daemon. This certainly works with the Asus Eee. See "Hotkeys on all ASUS Eee models"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 744#237744
You will see that the situation with the Eee is similar to your Fujitsu -
Fn+F8: Decrease Volume Level
Fn+F9: Increase Volume Level
mikeb wrote:set volumes via say setvol command
The acpid people suggest using the standard ALSA utility; amixer.
First check that amixer works by trying this command to decrease volume -

Code: Select all

amixer set Master 10%-
and this command to increase volume -

amixer set Master 10%+
If it works, then you can go ahead and install one of my "acpid-Eee-*" dotpets - all 3 are identical regarding the amixer commands.
Once the dotpet is installed, start the acpid daemon -

acpid
If the F8 and F9 keys don't work at this point, it may be necessary to also load the "fujitsu-laptop" module -

modprobe fujitsu-laptop
I think this passes keycode events to a config file which can be read by acpid.
Now try the F8 and F9 keys again.

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

The current convention is to use the "acpid" daemon. This certainly works with the Asus Eee.
Well that's handy though xbindkeys is pretty useful for more general uses such as getting multimedia keys working.
I've been working on a HP2133 ...good machine but hardware control is more manual (plus I managed to wipe the suse install with puppy install but no hard feelings and they were using a 2.6.18 kernel)
The backlight keys still work but not sure how...

anyway drifting off topic

regards

mike

mikeb

#51 Post by mikeb »

Alsa 1.0.20 for standard and retro puppies...should be a great help

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 132#330132

mike

stevesr0

internal microphone doesn't work, external does. Why?

#52 Post by stevesr0 »

I have a Fujitsu convertible laptop (model T4220), which has two internal microphones.

These don't work under Puppy (4.2.1 frugal install). I attached a USB webcam w microphone (Logitech Quickcam for notebooks). The video worked, but not the audio. I installed the 1.0.20 version of Alsa, but haven't been able to adjust the settings to enable the internal microphone.

I attached a microphone to the external microphone connection and that works.

This seems rather strange.

Appreciate suggestions and comments.

Steve

stevesr0

Followup to my last post

#53 Post by stevesr0 »

Purchased a Syba webcam (model CL-MG-MC-BK) at Outlet PC), after seeing a recommendation on a Puppy Linux forum thread about which webcam to use.

I just plugged this in the USB port (as I had with the Logitech I tried previously and when I did a test call with Skype, both sound and audio immediately worked.

In the audio section of Skype's options, there were two choices for Venus (I assume this is the Syba Webcam driver), but the hdwr intel was selected and I didn't change this.

I am not sure if somehow I made some change in the ALSA settings since last trying the Logitech (and the sound input is actually from the internal microphone), but I don't care at this moment.

Steve

mikeb

#54 Post by mikeb »

I thought I had replied...was when the forum was acting up...
the space bar selects inputs in alsamixer...just for reference.

mike

stevesr0

Why won't logitech's USB microphone work, when Syba's will?

#55 Post by stevesr0 »

As I posted previously, a logitech quickcam for notebooks audio didn't work (under Skype) with this laptop with Intel HD audio. However, with another brand of webcam, the builtin USB microphone worked immediately.

I thought the microphone issue was related to the intel hd linux driver, which should be the same with different USB microphones plugged into the same port, no?

Appreciate suggestions about checking out why the other one didn't work and this one does.

Thanks.

Steve

tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy's version of ALSA has changed several times since this thread was started in October 2007.
Puppy 4.3 now has ALSA ver 1.0.20.
Shortly I will update the options now available for the snd-hda-intel ALSA 1.0.20 driver.

While browsing the ALSA documentation, I saw some options relating specifically to ASUS Eee models, which might solve the Eee audio problems reported on the forum recently:

eeepc-p703 ASUS Eeepc P703 P900A
eeepc-p901 ASUS Eeepc P901 S101
eeepc-p701 ASUS Eeepc P701
eeepc-ep20 ASUS Eeepc EP20

For example, with the Eee 900A you would add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=eeepc-p703
then reboot.

Oh, and for the Acer Aspire One -
acer-aspire

scabz

#57 Post by scabz »

hey i added this line to modprobe.conf

and then i rebooted.
It did not work same problems.

EeePC 900a

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#58 Post by Flash »

Here's the block diagram of my Gigabyte motherboard. Do you think I'll ever be able to get the sound to go through the HDMI cable? I can't see how it could be done, but it works in Windows, with the drivers that came with the Gigabyte board.
Attachments
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard.JPG
(96.54 KiB) Downloaded 2976 times

mawebb88

options snd-hda-intel model=eeepc-p901

#59 Post by mawebb88 »

scabz wrote:hey i added this line to modprobe.conf

and then i rebooted.
It did not work same problems.

EeePC 900a
Same for me i.e. no change to the audio problem when i added the 901 bit:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.20 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
options snd-hda-intel model=eeepc-p901
Anyone known where can I get the downgrade pet to that in 412 (v1.0.18 I think) which works fine

Rgds Mike
EeePC901

tempestuous

#60 Post by tempestuous »

Flash, I just made a post about HDMI audio in your original thread on this subject -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 763#354763