The Puppy Logo...

Promote Puppy !
aahhaaa

The Puppy Logo...

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

This is really minor but...
I was looking at the Distrowatch announcement of 1.0.6 http://distrowatch.com/
and couldn't help but notice that the Puppy 'logo' used is the least-nice (sorry, somebody) one of several I've seen- poor lil pup even has red-eye!

I love the Puppy, but compared to all the other distros, it's the least logo-ish of all.

This week, a lot of people will be noticing Puppy on Distrowatch. Unless its a statement of some kind (why do I feel the thin ice? :wink: ) could somebody 'official' get them a better .PNG asap? just a pr thang...

I like the desktop nosy pup the best, myself... purely as a photo, I mean... :oops: that's the one I'd pick to logoize, but there are several other contenders around here.

kcin

#2 Post by kcin »

aahhaaa,

Well, yes, as you implied, in the hierarchy of importance, the looks are definitely secondary to features and function, it's true.

But I also agree with you that looks do matter, and as a distro matures and becomes more and more popular and widely used, it is also important to "dress it up properly & send it off to the dance looking spiffy."

While I love all the old Puppy Photos and Logos, I concur that sooner or later, (sooner the better), some loving attention ought to be paid to the development of a really well-done and super-sharp Puppy-Logo that would compare favorably with the very best and sharpest logos out there on any other distros.

I've been brainstorming ideas on this for a while just as a personal interest, and meanwhile trying to improve my GIMP Skills enough to do what I am conceiving in my head. Hopefully at some point I will have a prototype or two or three to offer up for community scrutiny. However, I'm certain we have several already-trained GIMP-familar artists who are way ahead of me on this.

Well, this idea is now on the table publicly, and I just know, a lot of Pups with artistic proclivities will take it to heart and begin to let the creative juices flow in this direction.

I'd be willing to bet that we begin to see some various Pup's takes on Logo ideas begin to show up on the forum soon.

I'm looking forward to that.

regards,

kcin

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

I did a remake of that Puppy logo once - see it at
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 73&start=0

Of course, it should be scaled down. Also, I have a version without my email address in it that should be used instead.

aahhaaa

#4 Post by aahhaaa »

the Distrowatch logos are avatar sized: 80x88 pixels or so. I fiddled around with the desktop pup for a few minutes- kinda hard to shrink well.

Mebbe Barry would judge a contest? :D
Attachments
pup4.png
It just wants to run...
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 3683 times

jcagle

#5 Post by jcagle »

I'll use my graphic design skills and give creating a logo a shot

raffy

Existing Choicess

#6 Post by raffy »

Dont forget that we have existing choices, like

(1)what Barry uses now in the pupweb pages,

(2) this one

and (3) still others in

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/IconsPuppy

gliezl

#7 Post by gliezl »

I like this one... :)
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

drongo

The Puppy logo

#8 Post by drongo »

Since Puppy hails from Western Australia you could make a fairly simple logo by taking the coastline of Oz West of about 138 degrees longitude. This gives you something which looks a bit like a Scottie dog's head. It's simple and scalable and combines the name with Barry's location. You can shrink it, enlarge it, colour it in and do all kinds of fancy graphical stuff with it. Best of all you don't have to copyright it as no-one can steal it from you.

Apologies to ozboomer, Bare_scribbler and Nathan Abussi - you've all just fallen off the map!

nate

#9 Post by nate »

nah.. its ok.. WA never gets any attention anyway. Its fair that it does now.
I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore I am perfect. :P

babbs

#10 Post by babbs »

I think that each and every image produced by a Puppy Linux fan serves the purpose for which that person created the image. Granted, some are more artistic and some are easier on the eyes than others, but this thread was started with a purpose. The images for the distrobutions on Distrowatch are as varied as are those for Puppy Linux. ;-)

Barry's primary focus has been where it belongs (where ever he wants it to be, right?), with the development of the OS that we've grown to love. Recently (I'd say last 6-10 months), there has been a great influx of Puppy fans that bring other talents to the table. These talents can be seen when other developers add or tweak a program that Barry includes in the next release or when one user helps another in the Forum or on the Wiki. These talents can also be seen with the formation of the Foundation and the new face of how Puppy Linux is presented to the first time visitor at http://puppylinux.org. The number of websites popping up in support of Puppy Linux is a testament to the fans' appreciation of Berry's hard work (and of the assistance provided by other dedicated programmers too).

While I really like the "Pretty Puppy" photo (the one of Barry's dog holding the flower), I really like the one created by the daughter of fellow forum member psr1 for Distrowatch:
Attachments
puppy_mid.jpg
(25.76 KiB) Downloaded 3638 times

aahhaaa

#11 Post by aahhaaa »

Not sure who it would be, but somebody should be sure to send the "Puppy under glass" logo to Distrowatch. Its even sized right at: http://puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
It's the most professional-looking logo created so far...

That said, it doesn't have just the right feel to me; kinda the opposite of frisky and friendly. It certainly doesn't say "it really runs!" which is the most important feature to Winusers looking at the alternatives.
imho, it looks more like a start button; it isn't 'alive' like the 'competing' plethora of cute penguins. No offense meant to anybody, and I expect people to be even tougher on my stuff...

Judging from what they say about car psychology, the logo is a powerful choice element when selecting distros at a place like Distrowatch...

babbs

#12 Post by babbs »

aahhaaa,

I agree with you that it doesn't have the right feel, but at Distrowatch, they don't know that. I believe that if it gets that site's visitors to try Puppy, then Puppy will win them over on its own merits. Flash might get them to look at it, but it'll be the function that will keep them.

Maybe it can be used until a more suitable one is found.

Babbs

david

#13 Post by david »

thought I'd throw a couple in and see what the response is like. If it isn't obvious enough, this is based on the existing "logo" on the home page. It's made 100% in Inkscape with freeware typefaces. Actually.. 90%.. 10% was done in the good old pencil and paper fashion, scanned in and then traced and colored.

I was actually working on logos for Grafpup and thought that they could both be connected in some way (more on that in another post perhaps - but they would share some obvious commonalities).
Attachments
grafpup3_text.png
puppy linux logos
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 3530 times

Ted Dog

Logos

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

Both great, I have a hard time choosing. How about one with a pizza in its mouth 8)

MU

#15 Post by MU »

Thats awesome!
I vote for using that as the official Puppy-Logo (the second one).

Real cute!
Mark

Hacao

#16 Post by Hacao »

Hi !

WOW,

I vote for the second one :D

Thanks,

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#18 Post by MU »

I redesigned http://dotpups.de/ using that picture, is that ok?
Mark

david

#19 Post by david »

Thanks for the positive feedback. "Cute" is exactly the response I was shooting for. Also, thanks Lobster :)

Mark, of course you can use it! If you need it in any other format or size, let me know. (Vielen Dank auch an Dich :))

mayakovski

#20 Post by mayakovski »

My preference goes along with Babbs choice. The puppy paw under glass made by the daughter of a forum member on the previous page.

The "CUTE" puppy is great, but given the growth of Puppy Linux and some of the upcoming projects, my thought is that professional is better than cute.
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7