Rox 2.3 - File Manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

Rox 2.3 - File Manager

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Rox 2.3

this replaces Puppy's rox with rox 2.3
there will be a roxapp icon in my-roxapps
do not move the icon from the my-roxapps dir

right click the icon for Help or to Uninstall

requires about 2.5 megs of space
(requires 4.5 megs with the language files)

this will use the default Puppy 1.0.5 desktop icons
copy /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin104 to PuppyPin in the same dir if you want the 1.0.4 desktop icons
i don't know if Rox 2.3 will run in Puppy 1.0.4 and earlier versions

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/ROX-Filer

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... ime_2dinfo

Edit: minor change ... rox 2.3 stores it's config files in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ by default, so it is now using that dir ... i used /root/Choices20/ for Rox 2.2.0

edit: attachments removed
Last edited by GuestToo on Thu 31 Aug 2006, 03:06, edited 4 times in total.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Quite nice.

Thank you,

I would suggest that you should add a MIMME type application_x-shellscript or the "Home" icon stops working.

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
exec "$1"
The scripts for setting the background should also be patched or changed. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Thank you,

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i just read the manual ... apparently by default Rox 2.3 uses /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ to store it's config files ... i had it setup to use /root/Choices20, the same as my Rox 2.2.0 package ... i think it worked at first because it had put a config setting in /etc/XDG/ ... i deleted XDG/ and i think it started using the default dir ... i didn't put XDG in my package, because i didn't think it was necessary

anyway, i uploaded a new package and i think it should work ok now (including the desktop and wallpaper)

it still needs tweaking ... the mime settings probably need tweaking ... this version of Rox seems to behave differently to the older versions of Rox if you click a shell application (script) ... the working dir is $HOME instead of the dir the script is in ... that might break a few scripts ... i'm not sure if that can be configured or not

(by the way, i had to hack ./configure to get it to compile ... it refused to believe i had the latest version of shared-mime-info installed)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

it doesn't seem to be reading the shared-mime-database properly ... it is reading it, it's setting the run action and icon for .pup files correctly ... but, for example, it seems to think compressed files (tar, zip, gz, bz2 etc etc) are text files

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i fixed rox.xml in the shared-mime-database ... i was using the one from rox 2.2.0, and rox 2.3's file is slightly different

the reason it seemed to think compressed files (tar, zip, gz, bz2 etc etc) were text files, is because i was just creating some empty files with the extension i wanted to test ... rox 1.2 and rox 2.2.0 treat them according to the extension, but rox 2.3 knows they are not real compressed files, and treats them as text files ... so i think that is working ok

Alienx

#6 Post by Alienx »

THANKS Guestoo

how can I let IceWM 's themes change the wallpaper ?

is it possible ?
Sorry, broken english above :-)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure that you can disable Rox 2.2 - 2.3 settting the background

you can disable Icewm from setting the background by killing X and typing startx icewm ... you can re-enable Icewm setting the background by killing X and typing startx icewm-session2

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

GuestToo,

You may want to add this little roxapp to allow changing the desktop just dragging the image:
Attachments
set-background-0.1.0.tar.gz
(19.58 KiB) Downloaded 741 times

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Veeeery nice, Rarsa :)

Works fine with Icewm :)

Mark

mayakovski

#10 Post by mayakovski »

rarsa wrote:GuestToo,

You may want to add this little roxapp to allow changing the desktop just dragging the image:
It would be very nice if there was someway to set a solid background when using ROX 2.3
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

It would be very nice if there was someway to set a solid background when using ROX 2.3
just right click a desktop icon and click Background ... you can set a solid colour or wallpaper

rarsa's roxapp to set the background using soap seems to work very well too ... i think Pizzasgood made a background-setter that sets the Puppy background program and Icewm's background ... i don't remember if it sets the Rox 2.3 background too

it can be confusing when there is more that one program setting the background ... other distros, for example, Vector Linux, also have this problem

mayakovski

#12 Post by mayakovski »

GuestToo wrote:
just right click a desktop icon and click Background ... you can set a solid colour or wallpaper

rarsa's roxapp to set the background using soap seems to work very well too ... i think Pizzasgood made a background-setter that sets the Puppy background program and Icewm's background ... i don't remember if it sets the Rox 2.3 background too

it can be confusing when there is more that one program setting the background ... other distros, for example, Vector Linux, also have this problem
Well I right click on an icon and select "Backdrop" and the only options are to drop an image there or select clear which gives me a white background, no way to select a solid color.

I used the solid backgrond picker built into puppy and it does nothing.

I installed Roxapp and it does nothing except complain that it cannot find background images.

I finally removed ROX 2.3 and got my nice solid background back. I will wait and hope 2.3 gets fixed soon.

I must say, I like Linux but issues like this make me understand why the business word (at least the desktops) still run Windows.
Mayakovski

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

I finally removed ROX 2.3 and got my nice solid background back. I will wait and hope 2.3 gets fixed soon.
sorry, i was testing 1.0.7 alpha and didn't have Rox 2.3 installed ... i knew the background could be set, but i didn't remember it right

you can easily set a solid background by right clicking a desktop icon and clicking Clear to remove the wallpaper ... then in the Rox-Filer Options, click Pinboard on the left and click the Background button, under Appearance ... this will allow you to easily set the background colour of the desktop

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, i notice that Rox 2.3 tries to use a wallpaper file that was in Puppy 1.0.6 (or 1.0.5) and is no longer in Puppy 1.0.7 ... so 1.0.7 breaks my package ... this is not a big problem, you will just have to setup your own wallpaper when you install Rox ... until i fix the package to work with 1.0.7 (and 1.0.6 and 1.0.5 and ...)

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

EDIT: G2 posted while I was typing. I'll leave this anyway.

You could just use mtpaint to make a small square (even one pixel) that's the color you want, then use that under tile. BAM! Solid color. You can even make simple tiled backgrounds like Windows 9* had. It's not the best solution, but it's better than nothing.
You have to manually set Rox 2.3 to the symlink it makes, then it just changes the symlink to whatever. Then you just use the normal changer under the menu and it will change. It also adds the functionality of setting it from the commandline, so other scripts can use it too. Maybe I should set it up to edit the puppypin file for you... I forgot it was just a text file when I was working on it. :roll:

I'll put it on my to-do list. I'm comming down with something though, so I don't know if I'll be up to it tomorrow. It's probably nothing, as I very rarely get sick. I have been running myself pretty hard, though. Maybe I should go to bed.... Nah. I'll finish reading the forum first. I might take the day off tomorrow and play some video games. I haven't played Sim City, Age of Mythology, or Roller Coaster Tycoon in a while. We'll see.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

another thing, Puppy 1.0.7 has some extra icons which won't be on the desktop when you install Rox 2.3 ... and if any programs change files in /root/Choices, they may not work because Rox 2.3 uses /root/.config for it's config files

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

and yes, you can easily make tiled background files, including ones that are solid colours

if you like, you can use Windows background-tile pictures, if you have Windows installed

mayakovski

#18 Post by mayakovski »

GuestToo wrote:
sorry, i was testing 1.0.7 alpha and didn't have Rox 2.3 installed ... i knew the background could be set, but i didn't remember it right

you can easily set a solid background by right clicking a desktop icon and clicking Clear to remove the wallpaper ... then in the Rox-Filer Options, click Pinboard on the left and click the Background button, under Appearance ... this will allow you to easily set the background colour of the desktop
Thanks GuestToo the pinboard trick did the job wonderfully.

Sorry to be a grump in my post it has not been a good week for me.

Now to try 1.0.7 and see what the Alpha is like.

CIAO
Mayakovski