Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Fatdog 110
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2009, 20:53    Post subject:  

eztuxer,

Something must have installed wrong. I just installed to a 512mb flash stick. I had over 300MB free to create my pup_save file. I'm posting this from my flash boot now. You should have these files on your flash stick:

Quote:

# ls -lh

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.3M 2009-02-16 19:04 initrd.gz
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 12K 2009-02-16 19:04 ldlinux.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 120M 2009-02-17 03:05 pup_110.sfs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256M 2009-02-17 03:09 pup_save.3fs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49 2009-02-16 19:11 syslinux.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2009-02-16 19:04 usbflash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2.1M 2009-02-16 19:04 vmlinuz

#

Well, minus the pup_save.3fs until you shutdown the first time. When you run the "Puppy Universal Installer" you should pick the first option "USB Flash Drive". Then on the next screen click the top button "Install Puppy to sdb1". It's probably something other than sdb1 for you, but that's what it is on my rig. Do not pick the other options, Combo Format etc. Then tell it to copy the files off the CD.

You know, it actually boots quite fast from flash. I'll have to recommend that to some folks.
eztuxer

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 11:33    Post subject:  

Well this seems to be an AAO (Acer Aspire One) specific bug. Shocked
I've checked the MD5sum: O.K.
I burned a new CD from that verified iso, to make sure it wasn't a bad burn problem.
It works on the CD just like before, and the same black screen on the USB stick.
I followed the same procedure to make the USB stick as I've done dozens of time trying my puplet during development stage, and a few other puplets too.
I'm "flashing" it on a bootable EXT2 partition made with Gparted.
I'll try later on ad different computer if possible (must make a "floppy GRUB") for my older laptop, if it works since it is USB(1) blind under puppy... Sad

The files on the stick:

kirk

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 23:21    Post subject:  

Hold off on downloading this. I'll be uploading another version soon, with some bugs fixed and some new features.
KJ

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb 2009, 10:59    Post subject:  

Kirk ... Thanks for your work on FatDog and I like it very much.. I thought I'd relate my experiance while you are still working on your upgrade.

I've ran it on two boxes from the same live cd and also from a bootable usb flash drive and have noted a couple problems. I have icewm installed on the flash .3fs's (a different named .3fs for each box). When starting up in Openbox or JWM, I have to click on the desktop to get the taskbar to show which I find confusing Also some times after an X restart the panel for Openbox opens up in front of the Ice or JWM taskbar.. I'm starting to like Openbox as you have it set up but icewm is still my favorite.

Most problematic, I run an rt73usb based wifi on one of the boxes (which is autodetected by the stock Puppy 412 but not several derivations including this one). In some cases, I can use NDiswrapper to load the XP driver and get it to work but with FatDog using NDiswrapper actually locks up the system totally requiring a manual power off. Only FatDog causes a total lockup.

Keep up the good work .... KJ
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb 2009, 21:35    Post subject:  

KJ,

The task panel not showing up sometimes until you click on the desktop is a problem. I've talked to others who run this configuration of Rox, Openbox, and Lxpanel, they have the same problem. No solution. As far as Lxpanel opening up in front of the Ice or JWM taskbar, that's probably some incompatibility with what I've done to Fatdog and your Icewm package. I haven't had that problem. Check the last few lines in fixmenus and maybe .xinitrc.

I checked, the rt73usb module is in there along with the firmware. You could try booting up with your USB wifi stick plugged in, and open a terminal and type: lsmod. See if the rt73usb module is loaded. If not type: modprobe rt73usb. If the module is loaded but it's not working, make sure the firmware installed, it should be at /lib/firmware/rt73.bin. If the module is not loading on it's own, the product ids may have changed in this kernel, and sometimes they overlap.

Ndiswrapper worked for a card I just tried, but I compiled this kernel with 4k stacks, which can cause problems with some Windows drivers used with ndiswrapper. Probably like you described.
KJ

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2009, 12:57    Post subject:  

Kirk ... Thanks for you quick response. I was incorrect when I stated that Puppy 412 has loaded the rt73usb wifi driver correctly. Turns out that I have had to use the NDiswrapper and the XP driver on this dongle since maybe Dingo 396 (if then). Rt73usb.bin shows up and so does rt2500usb.bin. I have tried combinations of user defined driver loads, driver preference overrides, and blacklisting ... all to no gain.

Replacing the usb wifi dongle would maybe save what little hair I have left but I'm not sure of a auto-detectable one to buy. This is a Neoware e140 thin client box without a usable pci slot so I am stuck with a usb connection. Other than the aforementioned issues ... FatDog seems to work great and I will continue to play with it.

Thanks again, KJ
kirk

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2009, 18:48    Post subject:  

KJ,

I just rebuilt the kernel (2.6.28.6) without 4k stacks. It will be in Fatdog 111. Probably take care of your Ndiswrapper problem. I needed to recompile anyway. Needed another config change for the latest ATI driver.
wow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2009, 21:33    Post subject:  

kirk wrote:
The task panel not showing up sometimes until you click on the desktop is a problem.

A similar problem had happened since puppy-2.14(official), to fix it just delete this ROX's config file:
Code:
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

And restart ROX to create a new config file with default settings.

kirk

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb 2009, 02:23    Post subject:  

Wow, Thanks Wow. That does fix the panel problem.
eztuxer

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb 2009, 18:26    Post subject:  

The black screen is back on USB key install with AAO.
System loads up but no X & does not respond to "ctrl+alt+backspace", or "alt+F1, F2, etc...".
It works OK on the CD with Xorg @ 1024x600 24 bites.

OOOPPPSSS !!!

I didn't see the new FatDog 111 thread.

Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: