BMP-0.9.7.1 media player (Beep Media Player)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

BMP-0.9.7.1 media player (Beep Media Player)

#1 Post by Dougal »

After development of XMMS stopped, BMP was created, based on the XMMS code.
This is basically XMMS ported to Gtk2, with some improvements.
(Note that Gtk2 means you can see unicode characters in it)

This package contains the basic plugins that come with it, plus the WMA plugin.

Note that you can use any XMMS plugin with it, by simply placing it in the right directory in /usr/local/lib/bmp. However, you will not be able to use the "preferences" dialogs for such plugins (they're built for Gtk1...). (you could just copy your configuration options from the XMMS config file to the BMP config file -- they're the same.)

Size: 1220k

Plugins:
Input: mp3, ogg, wma, cd-audio
Output: ALSA, OSS
Visualization: bscope

Uses XMMS/WinAmp skins.

Users with old machines, note that this app uses a little more memory than XMMS:

Code: Select all

VSZ %CPU %MEM COMMAND
15100 0.0  7.8 xmms
27156 0.9 14.1 beep-media-play
(above is with a 450MHz processor)
Attachments
BMP.jpg
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 5241 times
Last edited by Dougal on Sun 12 Apr 2009, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Sounds like an upgrade for the the next Puppy release?

There's probably other apps. that also have new offshoots.

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

yes plz

xmms2 http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Download_XMMS2
or http://audacious-media-player.org/Main_Page

audacious look like it might be a little bigger

and then there is: http://bmpx.beep-media-player.org/site/BMPx_Homepage

wish they would quite forking..........i really don't want choice i want easy to use functionality best provided by a unified coder base!

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

I have to sort of agree with CB here: I wished they'd quit forking XMMS/Beep Media Player ad infinitim ad nauseum like this and instead just all these devs of the various projects get together to improve the two or three major forks into something really audacious... umm... no pun intended there of course! :oops:

But then and again if devs did this... and what if BarryK had decided to work and make, oh... let's say Slackware better? Then we'd be all one sad puppy. Oups! Again, no pun intended. I think I'd better quit while behind. LOL!

Thanks Dougal ever so much for doing Beep! I truly appreciate you having done this for Puppy! I can't wait now to get booted into my Pup and give this a try. Woohoo! I've always enjoyed and looked forward to the programmes that you've done Dougal. :)

Oh yes, and CB? The XMMS2? How far have they come along with that project now? Sorry, but I don't ATM have the time to click the links. (-sigh-) I know that in Debian-Sid we have it in our repos and I gave it a whirl one day---only to be sadly disappointed that it had no GUI---it was still in the CLI stage for usage. This couldn't have been more than a month ago I think?

I'll have to try and make a mental note to come back and check your links later when I have the time.

Once again Dougal: Thanks mate! This work of yours is very much appreciated! :)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

gary101

#5 Post by gary101 »

A big thanks Dougal!

I don't tend to bother much about music players, just been using xine for mp3s and wavs. This program is a real eye opener. I love the playlist tool in BMP, much easier to use than other programs I have seen.

All round good media player for music fans.

Guess that this prog will keep me busy for a while creating loads of playlists of my music files!

Thanks

Gary

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Eyes-Only wrote:The XMMS2? How far have they come along with that project now?
I've also compiled XMMS2 and some clients for it (also MPD and clients), but it's not really my cup of tea: it's a deamon that runs all the time and creates a database of the media files located somehwere (like a web-server), then you need to play the music with the client...

Note that I also posted dotpets of Audacious and plugins a few days ago (has many more options).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Yeah, I figured that's what was up about XMMS2, that it was probably some sort of daemon and I unstalled it within 10 minutes via Synaptic. (I'm a Debian-Sid "whimp" and work via Synaptic instead of "apt-get". LOL! Give me the GUI anyday of the year.)

Yes, I saw your Audacious.pet as well when here the other day Dougal. At least I'm quite sure I did? I'll go and take another look-see when finished here. I've just this moment booted over into my HDD install of Puppy 2.17 and so I've been playing around with Beep Media. Splendid job and I love it! Wonderful to see those crisp'n'clear GTK2 fonts and the nice GUI after always seeing the GTK1 fonts. And you've chosen a really nice and all-around pleasant theme to go with it as well Dougal.

Two Thumbs up rating here from me! Let's see tonnes of downloads for this and for a basic music player I'd love to see it included in some future version of Puppy. Maybe the next Community Edition even that Lobster has proposed?

THANKS Dougal again! :D

Amicalement et merci mille fois!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

magerlab

#8 Post by magerlab »

thank you very much, Dougal for this pet. gxine is not so fast when doing somethig else in the same time

and what about the latest version?
is it possible to make a request?

Leon

#9 Post by Leon »

Many thanks, Dougal.
I was looking for a media player like this since I use Puppy.
Woks very well in Dingo 4.00alpha3.

malderson

#10 Post by malderson »

Bump does look like a cool little player. (I too have been having problems with stability of Gxine.)

However, I can only get it to work on file on my hard drive. it does not seem to be able to find an audio CD. Gxine can do this, so it isn't the CD. Is there a trick to locating the CD in Bump that I am missing?

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

magerlab wrote:and what about the latest version?
is it possible to make a request?
You mean the latest version of Puppy or BMP?
Development of BMP stopped a couple of years ago and they went on to make Audacious (also posted on this forum).

However, someone has recently started re-developing BMP, but the source packages for it are a bit big for me to download (on dialup...).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

cb88 wrote:yes plz

xmms2 http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Download_XMMS2
or http://audacious-media-player.org/Main_Page

audacious look like it might be a little bigger

and then there is: http://bmpx.beep-media-player.org/site/BMPx_Homepage

wish they would quite forking..........i really don't want choice i want easy to use functionality best provided by a unified coder base!
But if they did that then we would only have maybe 1 operating system, instead of hundreds of Linux's, 1 media player instead 10+, Life would be boring, I personally Like the extra's then you don't have people governing over the look and feel or options&functionality Just because Xmms wanted to go one way, but then then beep might go another way and bring new features. I always think more is better. If not then staying on the straight and narrow is boring.
Nothing against you cb88 just another opinion:)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

magerlab

#13 Post by magerlab »

on the project site of bmp thereś a version from 18 of october 2007
it looks like they added some new features

the real advantage of bmp for me is that it is really fast and i can listen to music while
surfing net or else
i used madplay before, but i don know how to make a list of files to be played

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

malderson wrote:it does not seem to be able to find an audio CD. Gxine can do this, so it isn't the CD. Is there a trick to locating the CD in Bump that I am missing?
When you've got the playlist window open, you press the "+" button and select "Add CD" (or just hit Shift+C).
If that doesn't work, you might want to look in the preferences, under Plugins-->cdaudio-->prefences (or is it "settings"?) and see that it's all ok.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#15 Post by Dougal »

magerlab wrote:on the project site of bmp thereś a version from 18 of october 2007
it looks like they added some new features
There are two things you might be referring to:
reBMP -- what I mentioned last time: someone just started working on it again, but his source packages are a little big for me to download.
BMPx -- what some of the BMP people went on to do: re-written in C++ and is huge, with lots of dependencies (Boost C++ library: 70MB!) and I really don't like what they made of it.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

malderson

#16 Post by malderson »

You wrote:

When you've got the playlist window open, you press the "+" button and select "Add CD" (or just hit Shift+C).
If that doesn't work, you might want to look in the preferences, under Plugins-->cdaudio-->prefences (or is it "settings"?) and see that it's all ok.

I tried that. What I ended up doing was uninstalling and reinstalling BMP. After that it worked. I don't know why, but I won't complain either. :-)

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Ok for xmms to launch audio cd its 'xmms -p /dev/cdrom'

is there nothing similar for beep player (thought it was based on the same code.)
Peeing about via the playlist is naff/embarrassing

dis-audio-gruntled

mike

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Ok found it

beep-media-player -p -e /dev/cdrom

now that was obvious <-note frustrated sarcasm

now who is going to complain about dragging up old threads? :D

mike calm

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

ooo no, now its...

beep-media-player -p -e /mnt/hdc

yay consistancy is fun ... lol

ok seems to use the folder reference in the plugin settings....so call /mnt/hdc...uses /dev/hdc...trauma over :D

trapster

#20 Post by trapster »

mikeb - at least save some typing and symlink it to /usr/local/bin/bmp
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog