Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 01:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
GK Dial connection speed
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Babbs in the badlands

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2005, 22:33    Post subject:  GK Dial connection speed  

Using Puppy 1.0.6, hard drive install (full partition)...

When I use another distro and use kppp to dial-up, I routinely see different connection speeds with my ISP...

Using Puppy and GK Dial 1.5.14 to dial-up, I don't see what connection speed I have for the connection.

How do I find my connection information?

Thanks in advance,
Babbs
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2005, 23:43    Post subject:  

i'm wondering, is this "connection speed" determined during the pap/chap login sequence?

maybe there is no connection speed, maybe pppd, the ppp daemon just tries to send stuff as fast as it can, within the max limit specified ...um, i think in the file in /etc/ppp/chatscripts/
babbs

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2005, 23:47    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,

I would be inclined to agree with you except that I get different connection speeds at different times. I think that there is some information passed during the handshake at logon. My modem is a 56k, but kppp tells me that I get 46666 (max) routinely. During peek times, it tells me that I'm getting lower speeds.

Because of the different connection speeds obtained from my ISP, I like to know that its going to take longer to download larger files. If I need a large file, I'll re-dial the ISP until I get a good connection.

Thanks!
Babbs
(aka "Babbs in the badlands" when checking in from an untrusted computer.)
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 00:29    Post subject:  

Part of the beeping and booping you hear before the modems actually make a connection is them negotiating the highest speed that will work for that connection. It's a standard protocol. Some Winmodems actually work better (faster) than hardware modems (because it is easier to tinker with software to optimize performance than it is to change the design of hardware.)
babbs

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 02:06    Post subject:  

The LTModem dotpup finds this modem with the greatest of ease.
gamfa

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 11:07    Post subject:  

The connect speed on my conexant modem is reported in the /etc/ppp/connect-errors file. I'm using the standard connect string that Gkdial inserts. I tried using the connect string that I use in Xisp and it reportrd the port speed. Never did understand the AT commands,
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 16:12    Post subject:  

gamfa,
Hey, so it is! This is what I have:

chat: Dec 11 02:36:02 CONNECT 21600/V42BIS

...yes, a miserable 21600 bits per second.
babbs

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 17:01    Post subject:  

Barry,

I've been one of those "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" guys, so I haven't been following the GK Dial discussions on the forum... (Sorry)

Is GK Dial a custom program (or one modified for Puppy)? If it is, can I request that this connection varable be added to the status line? (For example: "Connected - 21600/V42BIS")

Thanks!
Babbs
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 20:53    Post subject:  

babbs,
Gkdial is not ours. It's rather old, not maintained anymore.

Yes, considering that dialup is going to be with us for a long time to come, as a great many people can't get broadband/adsl (or it is too expensive) then we should probably take over one of these dialup programs, one of use should study it, learn how it works, then maintain and adapt it for puppy.

I wonder if satellite internet access will drop in price?
There has been a technical breakthrough in providing high-speed internet via the power lines, but probably that will only work in cities and regional centres.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 03:42    Post subject:  

Great news, BK!
LLU has been a complete farce in the UK, solely because the privatised industry became a monopoly incapable of proper regulation, although the so-called regulators were, predictably, drawn from same Establishment Old Boys Clubs. Thus, where available, ADSL is over-priced and fraught with problems, running locally on age-fatigued copper wires. Other nations may be suffering similarly?
Sadly, I suspect that the new satellite systems, although achieving 100% integration with the whole media experience, will suffer the same pricing fate, controlled as it is by your Mr Murdoch?!
Time for the proletariat to rise up? But, in the meantime, DUN and GKDial could be around for quite a while. At least until we rebuild the world after The Revolution! As I implied in another thread, efforts to fix GKDial would be well received and be consistent with your Puppy strategy.
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 03:48    Post subject:  

Sage here! Above piece was mine. Haven't mastered the art of staying logged in! Ticking the 'log on every time' box doesn't seem to work for me.
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 11:05    Post subject:  

There's an aspect of future tech here that might need consideration. One of those financial shows was discussing how the big telcos are divesting themselves of landlines so they can concentrate on cell networks.

Dialup computing is very dependant on a billing feature- flat rate local service. That's not part of cell rates, everything by the minute, but if that changed, either direction, many people would abandon the landline for cell service only- I know I would! VoIP seems to be the driving force at the moment.

Also, I'm impressed with how many supposedly '3rd World' places have cell networks. I don't know much about the HOWTO and connection speeds, but did see an article by David Berlind of zdnet about using an undoc'd feature of his phone to do wireless dialup. It worked, tho he had a hassle configging it.

Just curious, but does anybody not have good cell service already available?
Anybody know what protocols a cell phone might use?
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 11:26    Post subject:  

"Cell" = "Mobile" in the UK. Everyone has it but it is a rip off, like everything else. Extensively use by kids, women and criminals. That's a simple factual comment, in case there's any doubt! Draw your own conclusions.
babbs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 14:03    Post subject:  

I'm a cheap son of a gun... My cellphone is about 4 1/5 years old. One fo the first small digital phones available at the time... It has color, black and green. Wink Actually, we have two cellphones in the house (the other one about 9mos old). Unfortunately, neither one gets good reception at home. At least not stable enough to put data over the air.

I don't yet know how far I'm going to get, but I'm going to take a look at the GK Dial program to see if I can make some modifications...
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2005, 03:46    Post subject:  

Personally, I use microwave radiation for cooking food.
Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: