Any avi-to-dvd movie converters for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
scott902000

Any avi-to-dvd movie converters for Puppy?

#1 Post by scott902000 »

I got puppy linux 4.1 on full install also winxp i don't like windows xp but they is one thing that i can't do in puppy is convert avi to dvd i looked online and with google with no used wine on puppy with convertx to dvd but did not see my dvd burner when i installed with wine can some one help any sugestions

darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

My personal recommendation is FFmpeg with a command along the lines of;

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target dvd /tmp/dvd.mpg
Second recommendation would be MEncoder.

Linux App Finder Video/DVD Encoders

Linux App Finder DVD Authoring

scott902000

#3 Post by scott902000 »

thank you for the info sorry for not getting back sooner. ffmpeg is already in puppy linux did not know that. thanks alot. now all i have to do is learn how to use it should be fun command line

disturbed

Puppy Linux Command Line

#4 Post by disturbed »

I don't know anything about Running commands in linux. i can access the console, but how do you copy and paste? Ctrl and V pastes in Linux and Windows. But NOT in the Console. In Fedora's Console you can Paste using a right click. But NOT in Puppy Linux. Is there a way to paste inside Puppy Linux Console?
EEE PC 901 20GB SSD Linux Model with XP installed. Currently running Puppy Linux 4.1.2 from SD Card. Wireless and Resolution works GREAT!

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

Pburn supports avi files for video-DVDs

darrelljon

Re: Puppy Linux Command Line

#6 Post by darrelljon »

disturbed wrote:I don't know anything about Running commands in linux. i can access the console, but how do you copy and paste? Ctrl and V pastes in Linux and Windows. But NOT in the Console. In Fedora's Console you can Paste using a right click. But NOT in Puppy Linux. Is there a way to paste inside Puppy Linux Console?
Usually Shift+Ins, certainly this applies in Konsole probably in xterm as well. I think this is because in most command line consoles Ctrl+V is reserved for something else.

disturbed

#7 Post by disturbed »

darrelljon wrote:
disturbed wrote:I don't know anything about Running commands in linux. i can access the console, but how do you copy and paste? Ctrl and V pastes in Linux and Windows. But NOT in the Console. In Fedora's Console you can Paste using a right click. But NOT in Puppy Linux. Is there a way to paste inside Puppy Linux Console?
Usually Shift+Ins, certainly this applies in Konsole probably in xterm as well. I think this is because in most command line consoles Ctrl+V is reserved for something else.
HEY, MUCH THANKS MAN! I would of never thought to try shift INS. THANKS MAN!!! I am liking Puppy Linux. It runs great on my EEE PC 901 and its saving the life of my SSD's because everything is running off of an SD Card. I love puppy. I have booted several computers without hard drives using puppy.
EEE PC 901 20GB SSD Linux Model with XP installed. Currently running Puppy Linux 4.1.2 from SD Card. Wireless and Resolution works GREAT!

jcoder24

#8 Post by jcoder24 »

Mandvd and devede also work out puppy.

darrelljon

#9 Post by darrelljon »

disturbed wrote:
darrelljon wrote:
HEY, MUCH THANKS MAN! I would of never thought to try shift INS. THANKS MAN!!! I am liking Puppy Linux. It runs great on my EEE PC 901 and its saving the life of my SSD's because everything is running off of an SD Card. I love puppy. I have booted several computers without hard drives using puppy.
Its a shame nobody seems to explain Linux things that other users "just know" somehow. Keep learning!

theinfamousj

#10 Post by theinfamousj »

zigbert wrote:Pburn supports avi files for video-DVDs
You say this, but when I actually go to burn a DVD, I end up with a DVD that has an .avi file on it rather than one that can play in my DVD player.

{I am running Puppy 5.2.5 with its version of Pburn if it is any help.}

Mercedes350se

#11 Post by Mercedes350se »

Sorry if I am stating the obvious. Did you select "Burn Video"?

P.S. With my limited experience I would suggest first burning to a RW disk to ensure that lip sync, etc. is correct. If every thing looks good then burn to a normal DVD.

theinfamousj

#12 Post by theinfamousj »

Mercedes350se wrote:Sorry if I am stating the obvious. Did you select "Burn Video"?
I did, indeed. However, I misstated the outcome. It ends up burning a completely blank disk.

I am attaching the log file in case you can extract more information from it than I could. I had a DVD burner attached with a DVD in the drive. It burned something to the DVD, but the DVD verified as closed with 0 MB of data on it, so the "something" must have simply been the TOC.

The log file is from attempt #4 to burn my movie. For attempts 1-3 I used an AVI. For attempt #4 it was an MPEG. I hope that doesn't negatively affect whatever diagnostics need to be done.
Attachments
PBurn Log.tar.gz
Log o' PBurn
(869 Bytes) Downloaded 181 times