Blender 3d animation/video games - version 2.48a for Puppy

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
glassparrot

Blender 3d animation/video games - version 2.48a for Puppy

#1 Post by glassparrot »

OK... here is Blender version 2.48a. It is made to be used with python 2.5

(If this is too complex for any of you... :shock: wait a week or so, and I'll have an SFS file out which bundles all of these things into one package. 8) Cheers. )

For you Linux newbies, first I'll say a word or two about installing programs in Linux. It's a lot harder! With Microsoft Windows, usually you just have to click a program named "Setup" - and then a wizard leads you through the process of installation. People who make software for Linux oftentimes will incorporate many other people's work into their own, and so not only do you have to download the software they wrote - but also, you have to download software from their five friends. You have to install every bit of that software if you want things to work.

Blender is a program with which you can make realistic computer generated art, Pixar-style animated films, and even 3d video games. However, you'll see that the language on the buttons is all very arcane abbreviations, and the program isn't even laid out like you'd expect modern programs to be. The menus are scattered all over the place, and you can create new workspaces, and change the layout around. You'll find it a VERY steep learning curve. It's a program for those of you with way too much time on your hands.

There are some textual tutorials here. There are some video tutorials here.
My favorite tutorial is here: Blender noob to pro, a wikibook.

To install Blender on Puppy, you'll need to install no less than SIX dot pets.
  1. First you'll need to install Xorg's "Direct Rendering Infrastructure" - this allows Blender (and video games, and all other graphics intensive programs) to communicate clearly and quickly with your computer's graphic card. After you install this first dot pet - please restart X by logging out, and typing "xwin" at the command line to get back into Puppy.
  2. Next, you'll need to install the "Open Dynamics Engine" - which is software that figures out how to make characters and objects move, and walk, and fall, and such things.
  3. Thirdly, you'll need to install "OpenAL" - which is a tool which figures out how to make sound sources move around in 3 dimensional space in respect to a listener.
  4. Fourth, you'll have to install "Simple Directmedia Layer" - which allows quick and efficient communication between keyboards, joysticks, mice and your gaming hardware.
  5. Fifth, you'll need to install Python - this is a popular computer scripting language which is used extensively in Blender. This version of blender was made to work with version 2.5.1. But you should be able to use any 2.5.x version of Python you'd like. You should not use Python version 2.4, 2.6, or 3. *****
  6. Finally, you can install Blender, itself.
This set of pets should work fine on all the standard 3.x and 4.x puppies. It works great for me on my 4.12 with compiz and xfce. It does not work on NOP version 4.x, But does work well with WNOP 0.2.

Please be certain to secure your computer in case of calamity before starting this project. Have your pup_save file or your puppy partition archived so that you can restore things if necessary. The one scary thing that I encountered when testing this, was when I tried to install xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet on an SD flash card installation of puppy 4.0.0. When I logged out, I couldn't log back into puppy, and Puppy was effectively broken. This happened, even though that pet package is an official one which has been approved by Barry Kauler, himself.

If you want more information about this software which you are installing you can find it at these links:
First of all, this is where I learned about all the extra software which Blender needs. There is also information on most of these things at wikipedia.

***** For those who already have Python installed: Listen up. This version of Blender requires python 2.5.x. If you already have 2.5.x on Puppy, and your libraries aren't installed at /usr/local/lib/python2.5, then after you install this Blender pet, you will have to open up /opt/blender/runblenderonpuppy, and change the information which will be stamped on the PYTHONPATH and PYTHONHOME environment tokens).
Last edited by glassparrot on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDominic

#2 Post by ChrisDominic »

I heard of 3D Studio Max and Maya. I'm wondering which one of them is better and I would like to create a 3D game. But I don’t know from where to start. Can any one answer me?

CharlieBarrett

#3 Post by CharlieBarrett »

ChrisDominic wrote:I heard of 3D Studio Max and Maya. I'm wondering which one of them is better and I would like to create a 3D game. But I don’t know from where to start. Can any one answer me?
3D MAX is better from my point of view. While I searching on web I found this site:
http://www.si-r-usdesign.com I recommend you to visit this site and surely it will help you.

HueyNym

Is Different "Better"

#4 Post by HueyNym »

ChrisDominic wrote:I heard of 3D Studio Max and Maya. I'm wondering which one of them is better and I would like to create a 3D game. But I don’t know from where to start. Can any one answer me?
Both programs have their merits, as do Lightwave, Modo, Cinema4d and countless other closed-source, not-for-linux programs. Blender and to a lesser degree Wings is okay in linux. You say you want to create a 3d game - Maya is better for characters and has "personal" version available (at least for the Mac) which was around $7,500 5 years ago, now it's free for non-commercial work. However, the learning curve is quite steep. 3d Max does better with environments and "platforms" and is somewhat cheaper depending on how many plugins you decide you can live without. However, the fact that Blender is able to run in Puppy at all is a miracle and one to be lauded. I'd stick to learning blender since it will run in Puppy, will, with a great deal of sweat and caffeine, get you where you need to get - especially if you have no prior experience.

-Huey

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Is Different "Better"

#5 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

HueyNym wrote:the fact that Blender is able to run in Puppy at all is a miracle and one to be lauded. I'd stick to learning blender since it will run in Puppy, will, with a great deal of sweat and caffeine, get you where you need to get - especially if you have no prior experience.
Yes! My daughter has been getting pretty good with Blender, and she had little or no prior experience with 3-D animation. What's more, Blender works surprisingly well on her computer with only a 1 GHz processor.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

toshubuntu

#6 Post by toshubuntu »

Hi,

thanks Glassparrot for this efficient work.

I've met a problem with the DRI module:
- I installed all the pets on : Puppy 4.12, NOP 4.12 and tried it on two PC's (one with NVIDIA Go 5200 and one with ATI Mobility Radeon M7)
- Everything fine with the installations on both distrib, but :
____ the acceleration on NVIDIA is not working (glxinfo | grep "direct rendering" gives a no) ;
____ the PC with the ATI it working with the glx acceleration but the [load "dri] in the xorg.conf creates a refreshment problem in the blender windows. If I comment the line, it disappears but the game engine is very slow...

The fact is I'm trying to get a LIVE-CD Blender with the 2.48a version for a school workshop on different computers (I guess Intel cards, but i'll check). I also need XFCE because the ALT+LMB in JWM is moving the windows in the Desktop Manager: on XFCE, i can change it for the "Windows Hyper Button" and continue to use the ALT+LMB in Blender without problems...

Any ideas or solutions for me ? Thanks.

glassparrot

#7 Post by glassparrot »

Hi Toshubuntu. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I was trying to focus on some other projects of mine, and have neglected to read the murga linux forums for a month or so. You know there are several ways of contacting me underneath each post of mine. I'd be happy to chat with you that way.

I think it's cool what you're doing for those kids at the school. Linux is the wave of the future, and introducing them to linux early is really a conscientious thing to do. I have heard other teachers use the free maya 8.5 "personal learning edition" software to teach kids 3d modeling. (The only place I've found where it still can be downloaded is here (very slow connection)). I think that it offers a better segway for kids. For instance, here is what a new zealand 7 year old can do with maya. Blender is incredibly difficult, with all the arcane abbreviations, which assume you already know something about 3d modeling from elsewhere. Although, I do know a fourth grader who took to Blender like a fish to water when I introduced him to it.

Honestly, I am quite a novice with Linux, and I don't really know what exactly your problem would be. Dri can be a tricky thing to install... and I imagine there might be some quirks, depending on your hardware. Myself, I didn't need to install my video card's driver in puppy in order to get Blender to work. But, you might find it helpful. This in itself is quite a tall order, however. The creators of Puppy have not thought it important to facilitate graphics card installations... so you have to get help from someone on the forum. However, if your goal is to make a live-cd, you might not want to go that route.

toshubuntu

#8 Post by toshubuntu »

Hi Glassparrot,

I resolved the problem in a way myself : I took Puppy NOP 4.12 and install all the PET you gave as I said and it works fine... on Intel Graphics Chipset (cheap HP and Dell's computers). I'm not able to tell why. But it will be fine for me.

I've found a problem on your Blender PET : once Blender installed, it won't find the python scripts and will search it on an other folder. I resolved the problem using a "Shortcut" pointing on the right folder. You may modify your PET for unexperienced users I guess.

"By the way", my kids are around 14-15 years old. They're quite geek and gamers. So I won't change Blender for any other software because it's free AND open and it has the Game engine on which I'm working this year.

Thanks for your work.

moogsydodong

works in NOP 413

#9 Post by moogsydodong »

Javiertrozo

Blender Cannot Open!!! Ahhh!!! Help me!!! Please...

#10 Post by Javiertrozo »

I don't know why... But I followed your instructions and installed de packages, saved it. But... Blender cannot open. I tried opening on the terminal, but it's the same.

Video graphic it's on Xorg , but I tried on XVesa, it's the same.

I installed puppy on bootfloppy I don't know if it's for it....

I would thank your answer.

Javiertrozo

Help me... It's useful know what's wrong in Blender on Puppy

#11 Post by Javiertrozo »

Should it be that.... I tried to open on my terminal with a command, but it said that had a problem with 'opengl' plugin. Help me.... I don't know how can I fix it.

Javiertrozo

I give up

#12 Post by Javiertrozo »

Ok, I'll not use Puppy Linux. It's shit. It 's much better Xubuntu on my Laptop.

auriza

Enabling OpenGL

#13 Post by auriza »

@Javiertrozo
Well, enabling OpenGL is relatively easy, given you have supported graphics card and the right driver. So, what graphics card do you use?
nVidia: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46686
ATI: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46507