woof alpha1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

woof alpha1

#1 Post by tronkel »

I'm having a go with Woof Alpha 1 as I write this.

I tried a debian build actually running in Lenny. The 0setup script script completed but with a warning that xorg-common_ doesn't exist and suggested that I alter the package list. Is it a matter of simply deleting this entry in the package list or should I try to find it somewhere in a repository and leave the package listing alone?

I then tried switching to an Ubuntu build and using Puppy 4.1.2Retro as the environment. 0setup completed OK and also the 1download script seemed to complete OK as well.

I'm running the 2createpackages script just now. It is giving a warning that the strip command cannot be found. Is this bad news?

I'll post a forum message later if I succeed with building an ISO
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tronkel

#2 Post by tronkel »

OK just completed the build as per the last post.

The ISO built ok as an Ubuntu-based system - 102MB

Unfortunately X would not start. So I can't see whats going on.

I'm just about to download Debian 5 Lenny final that has just been released.

I'll have another go soon - maybe with an Arch or Slackware build. I think it's going in the right direction though. Needs a few things sorting out - it's only an Alpha 1!

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Ok, I'm halfway or more thru '1download'... using arch, was default (for you Tronkel too?) but that is what I wanted anyway... keep you posted

EDIT: the packages are HUGE in arch! 28M for printing????

EDIT 2: right now 'gutenprint' is 18M, so far 46M on printing!!!!! Sheesh! (1 min after my first edit)

EDIT 3: So far my 'woof' dir is 147 M, I assume it is uncompressing as it goes, hope so! (5 min later)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tronkel

#4 Post by tronkel »

01Micko wrote:
Ok, I'm halfway or more thru '1download'... using arch, was default (for you Tronkel too?)
Yes, Arch seems to be the default in this version. I think Arch is the most recent build that Barry has been working on, so he has probably just left it as the default.

Please post a forum message as to how your build went.

If Woof turns out to be successful, I reckon it could obsolete all previous Puppy versions. It will also go even higher up the Distrowatch ratings as well. Puppy is sitting at no 11 today, and Debian is at no 5. Maybe Puppy will end up around 5th or 6th quite soon.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Yes I'll post results within 24hrs

I believe in woof!

paulh177

#6 Post by paulh177 »

hmm tried an Arch build myself but got a long list of failures in 0setup. Did you have to go back and fix a lot in your arch build or did it work out first time?
if the former how did you resolve?

thanks

Paul

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Yeah about 10 failures, I did the WRONG thing and carried on, hoping to install .pets or other over the failures... we'll see if it is wrong.

paulh177

#8 Post by paulh177 »

after a bit of investigation it seems like those things with a numerical suffix were the problem e.g.

Code: Select all

atk-1
 binutils-2
 cairo-1
 coreutils-6
 cvs-1
 dialog-1
 gcc-4
 gettext-0
 groff-1
 gtk2-2
 libao-0
 man-1
 perl-5
 perl-5
 poppler-0
 python-2
 xorg-server-1
I edited DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-arch removing the suffix for those entries, leaving only the hyphen. 0setup seemed to like this.
Whether this was the correct thing to do, time will tell as 1download is nearly finished

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

after a bit of investigation
OK Paul gonna try that :)
. . . nope the package is physically missing
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

paulh177 wrote:after a bit of investigation it seems like those things with a numerical suffix were the problem e.g.

atk-1
 binutils-2
 cairo-1
 coreutils-6
 cvs-1
 dialog-1
 gcc-4
 gettext-0
 groff-1
 gtk2-2
 libao-0
 man-1
 perl-5
 perl-5
 poppler-0
 python-2
 xorg-server-1
I edited DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-arch removing the suffix for those entries, leaving only the hyphen. 0setup seemed to like this.
Whether this was the correct thing to do, time will tell as 1download is nearly finished
The reason for the number on the end is it prevents Woof from downloading and using a whole lot of extra Arch packages. In the case of Python, I only wanted the main Python package which is named something like 'python-1.2.3-i686.pkg.tar.gz', but there if you look in the Archo repo you will also find an enormous number of packages named like this: 'python-<modulename>-5.6.7-i686.pkg.tar.gz'.

I made lots of changes to the scripts in the last few days, but only did a complete build test for Slackware.

Something must be broken in 1download when the "part-filename" has a number on the end. It did work before, so I have done something that has messed it up.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

I'll checkout this problem of "part-name" packages with a number on the end, for example 'atk-1', not getting downloaded.

I'll get onto it tonight and upload the fixed script(s).

Note, don't "fix" it by taking off those numbers in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-arch, otherwise you'll get an enormous number of extra packages downloaded, plus bigger live-CD and devx.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

Until I upload the fixed scripts, for anyone testing Woof right now, edit the variable in DISTRO_SPECS file and change "arch" to "slackware".

After making a whole heap of changes to the scripts, the Slackware build was the only one I tested before uploading alpha1.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

change "arch" to "slackware".
OK going for that :)
The previous Arch download directory I have deleted (not much HD space) but I suppose for the future it might have been worth keeping if intending to create an Arch Woof . . .

This time got:
ERROR: packages-tgz/acl-* does not exist.
Please find a package that matches, place it in packages-tgz,
then press ENTER key to try again:
So will try the download again and hopefully the missing file will be picked up/downloaded
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

OK, I ran "1download" using arch and the packages on the list are missing. Can I download them manually? Can I use .pets? Is the version number important? I didn't remove the trailing digits.

Obviosly I can't run "2createpackages" or I'll end up with a broken woof.

Guess I'll go hunt the packages on Arch, and Paul, you 500M download! Glad I didn't edit those entrys in the file, almost did!

Hmmmm Tronkel. xorg-server? On the list! No sorry you are not using "arch"

Ok, got the packages from arch repo, edited PKGS_SPECS_TABLE in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS by removing all -1 or-2 pr whatever in the "list", ran "0setup", no complaints, skipped "1download", I already got everything, (nothing missed, I hope), am running "2createpackages" right now. I got a 1.8GHz athlon with 512 ram and started at 16:49 uc+10. I expect it to take around for hours going by Barry. See you some time after 9pm :wink:
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 16 Feb 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

paulh177

#15 Post by paulh177 »

Barry:

Just to be clear, it was 0setup that complained about the list of packages I quoted.

btw, I started running 2createpackages but had to stop partway through -- tried a restart to see if it would pick up where it left off but it seemed to start over from the beginning. Might be worth seeing if it can be done in a future release?

DragonEagle

#16 Post by DragonEagle »

I can honestly say so far so good. Thanks Barry! Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but I'm currently working on adding support for ubuntu 64. Hopefully recompiling the binaries that need it won't be too painful.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Welcome to the kennels DragonEagle :D
adding support for ubuntu 64.
Sounds good - keep us informed how this goes :)

I am not a package hunting crustacean - so I have deleted the whole woof alpha - but as the procedure is straightforward will give the Alpha 2 a go hopefully - from scratch

I will also install the devxx.sfs before then as I feel that might be making a difference . . .

It seems the Ubuntu repository download has been most successful unlike my Arch and Slackware attempts but Barry tested on Slackware so that works too . . .

This may not be feasible but will we be able to pick and mix? In other words combine packages from different distros or is that not a future possibility? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

ok, I have found why '0setup' is complaining about some packages.

Attached is a fixed script.

I have arrived home only about an hour ago, from Perth, so haven't had time to look at the other scripts. The problem is that a package part-name specification such as 'atk-1' is supposed to be a unique reference of an actual package.

I need to check 1download that it is able to correctly find a package when supplied with just "atk-1".

This problem is I think only happening with the Arch build.

I'll get onto the other scripts soon.

I'm thinking about '1download', it needs a means to "Pause"or "Stop". That is, a little gui with those buttons. So, if you are on dialup and you want to stop the download and continue tomorrow, you could hit the "Stop" button -- the current package would complete its download then the script will terminate.

Next time 1download is run, it will pick up from before. I'll implement that also.
Attachments
0setup.gz
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 416 times

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

WoooooHoooo!

I'm posting from 'apup', (I prefer to call it POOCH... Puppy, wOOf, arCH)

What I did worked and :oops: I did not have devx loaded (as I stated on "Barry's Blog"). Still created apup devx file though, md5 checked fine. Obviously iso did too.

Thankyou Barry!

Problems:
1)I did the full dependency check in "3builddistro", (took 45 min) and a bunch of libs complained about permissions, ie executable.
2)xorg doesn't like my hardware I suspect, running an onboard graphics SiS chip, no probs in any other puppy, may well be an arch problem. Should I complain there? Would be a little cheeky, seeing though all can read this.
3)None other yet, I may get back to ya, printing I might check, seeing as though it cost me over 60MiB!!!!

BTW, took 2hrs 31 mins for "2createpackages", an hour and a half better than I expected.

Spell check is working!!!! (Us banana benders have had a few beers by now :lol: )

Congratulations Barry on your sheer ingenuity.

This just may alter the Linux world, (Does Linus know of this?)

Cheers

EDIT: forgot to mention, 105MiB iso :)
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 16 Feb 2009, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

OK have devxx running
Changed from 'arch' to 'slackware' in the recommended specs location.
Downloaded and used the new 0setup file

The first time you run this, you get the message
Just run it again and it works (happened twice now and Internet was working both times)

# ./1download
Finding what PET repos are working...
Failure. Is Internet working?
# 
So whilst the files are downloaded again . . .
just time read Distrowatch weekly news which announced the release of Woof version 0.0.0 (as they name the first Alpha)
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090216

Soon I will have a Slackware based dstro
then I will build a time machine . . .
No one can stop me [maniacal laughter] :roll:

Pah!
Foiled again!

# ./2createpackages
Preprocessing slackware 12.2 pkgs database...

Checking syntax of PKGS_SPECS_TABLE...

Press ENTER only to build all pkgs, or type generic name of one pkg: 
Processing 915resolution
 processing 915resolution-0.5.3-patched411.pet
Processing a52dec
 processing a52dec-0.7.4.pet

ERROR: packages-pet/a52dec-0.7.4.pet (Generic: a52dec) does not exist.
       You will need to find this PET package and place in packages-pet.
       Do it later, then rerun this script and choose to build a52dec.
Press ENTER to continue: 
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)