xvidtune changes won't stay[SOLVED-by vtpup]

Using applications, configuring, problems
jrb

xvidtune changes won't stay[SOLVED-by vtpup]

#1 Post by jrb »

HI,
I'm running puppy4.1.1 xorg7.3. When I boot with xorg my screen is slightly off the left side of the monitor. I can use xvidtune from the Setup-Xorg Video Wizard and adjust it easily enough and I have told it to write the changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and even checked to make sure its done so. But when I reboot its off the screen again, even though those changes are still listed in xorg.conf.

Anyone got any ideas?
Last edited by jrb on Mon 16 Feb 2009, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

glassparrot

#2 Post by glassparrot »

Don't you have buttons on your monitor for this? It'd be safer to use those than to use xvidtune. I have burned out more than one CRT monitor because of adjusting those kinds of software settings improperly.

vtpup

#3 Post by vtpup »

NO. Buttons on the monitor is NOT a solution to an included program -- and essential part of system setup -- that doesn't work properly! Physical monitor controls are unable to fully correct this by left shifting.

Test case: Nvidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] type card. Dell E228WFP LCD 1680x1050 monitor has screen displaced far to right.

Xvidtune does allow shifting to the proper position, but does not (usually) save settings when "Show" is pressed.

This action has been reported several times in forum threads. I haven't even seen a good workaround yet in these forums. And no explanation of Puppy's method of using xorg,conf, xrandr, and the xorg script.

Does anyone actually know how Puppy uses or reads or modifies xorg.conf, or how Xvidtune manages to shift the screen?

Without that basic knowledge, it's impossible to understand what is needed to get this to work. I've already looked at half a dozen web explanations and man pages on xorg.conf, and none look similar to Puppy's. Puppy's is far more complex structurally, with a bunch of subsections and crossreferences -- but has only a single mode?!

Further Puppy has several versions of xorg.conf (at least on my computer) xorg.conf, xorg.conf0, xorg.conf.NVIDIA, xorg.conf.t2, xorg.conf.bak, xorg.conf.prev. I could understand one backup, but why the rest of them? What's xorg.conf.NVIDIA -- an active version in an nvidia system, or a template or what?

Back to Puppy's wizard script:

Puppy Xvidtune wizard popup at the end does show the correct modeline values that adjusting the controls has supposedly yielded:
The new modeline is:
"1680x1050" 146.25 1680 1960 2136 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089 +hsync -vsync

Note, you will have to restart X for it to take effect. If it messes
up X, edit from commandline 'mp /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and comment-out
the 'UseModes' line (do not delete it) in the Monitor section.

To insert this into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, click 'Write' button...
To exit without changing xorg.conf, click 'Quit' button...
but for the first few times I tried this no modeline appears in the actual xorg.conf (relevant section printed below:

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
   ModelName    "Monitor Model"
   HorizSync    31.5-90
   VertRefresh  60
   #UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
   Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
   EndSection

Section "Modes"
   Identifier "Modes0"
   #modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   ### Available Driver options are:-
   ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
   ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
   ### [arg]: arg optional
   #Option     "SWcursor"              # [<bool>]
   #Option     "HWcursor"              # [<bool>]
   #Option     "NoAccel"               # [<bool>]
   #Option     "ShadowFB"              # [<bool>]
   #Option     "UseFBDev"              # [<bool>]
   #Option     "Rotate"                # [<str>]
   #Option     "VideoKey"              # <i>
   #Option     "FlatPanel"             # [<bool>]
   #Option     "FPDither"              # [<bool>]
   #Option     "CrtcNumber"            # <i>
   #Option     "FPScale"               # [<bool>]
   #Option     "FPTweak"               # <i>
   #Option     "DualHead"              # [<bool>]
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nv" #card0driver
   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1680x1050"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=NVIDIA
However, on the last occasion I tried it, a changed xorg.conf was generated. Unfortunately it did nothing to correct the video problem -- either when re-starting X or rebooting:

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
	HorizSync    31.5-90
	VertRefresh  60
	UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
	Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
	EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier "Modes0"
 ModeLine "1680x1050"   146.25   1680 1960 2136 2240   1050 1053 1059 1089 +hsync -vsync #modes0modeline0

EndSection

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
	### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
	### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
	### [arg]: arg optional
	#Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "HWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "UseFBDev"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "Rotate"             	# [<str>]
	#Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
	#Option     "FlatPanel"          	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "FPDither"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "CrtcNumber"         	# <i>
	#Option     "FPScale"            	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "FPTweak"            	# <i>
	#Option     "DualHead"           	# [<bool>]
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nv" #card0driver
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1680x1050"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=NVIDIA
This is not just a cosmetic bug, solvable by adjusting the physical monitor controls. It renders the right side of the display unusable. Adjusting the screen at every startup is not even a workaround solution if the screen has to be moved over twenty or thirty steps.

Let's figure this out.

vtpup

#4 Post by vtpup »

Got you, ya little sonofabug.

Change all instances of "1680x1050" in my example above to "bugswat" and restart X.

There are 3 of them. Solves it.

It's a naming convention issue.

Okay boys, fix it in 4.2.

ps.

as a guess....

"1680x1050" was probably the name of a VESA preset which took precedence over the xorg.conf entry.

Xvidtune and the puppy wizard should name custom modes to anything but the standard VESA resolution values.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

vtpup wrote:"1680x1050" was probably the name of a VESA preset which took precedence over the xorg.conf entry.

Xvidtune and the puppy wizard should name custom modes to anything but the standard VESA resolution values.
modlines are usually (not in Puppy) named after the resolution+refresh rate. i.e "1680x1050_60".
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

vtpup

#6 Post by vtpup »

Yes Dougal, that would work.
I've checked in my Ubuntu installation and it's in this format:

"1680x1050@60"

which also works.

Though I'm wondering about who is "wrong" in all of this.

I read somewhere, I thought in an xorg.conf man page (there are several different versions online), that user set modelines would take precedence over the presets. If so. it might be a bug in xorg, since that doesn't actually happen.

Whether they meant it in terms of naming, or simply action by a different named mode, I'm not sure. But that's certainly enough to cause understandable confusion in the Puppy development.

Anyway, the fix is to rename.

I also think there is something else at work here -- the xvidtunes first three failures to write anything to xorg.conf.

I think that was a procedural error on my part using the puppy wizard component. The Wizard itself throws warnings and instructions that are somewhat ambiguous, and get overlayed with xvidtune messages.

This also ought to be walked through to see if it can be worded and integrated better.

The xvidtune wording of "show" doesn't make much sense as a write command, and then to leave xvidtune. it seems you shouldn't hit "quit" or changes are lost. I guess you have to hit the X in the upper right corner to get out of it with changes intact?

There's also a description saying you must confirm -- it's all pretty confusing. Needs straightening out.

I think I X-ed out of Xvidtune the time I was successful at writing a modeline to xorg.conf, while I hit "quit" the other couple of failed times. I had hit "show" before all exits. But that didn't seem to be enough.

My suspicion is that Puppy has modified or eliminated an actual showing of xorg.conf in the stock xvidtune, where you would normally be asked to confirm the change. That would explain the "show" button's name.

mechmike

Y'all are way over my head with all this, but...

#7 Post by mechmike »

Here's my video dilemma...

I have installed Boxpup 4.1.2 on an ancient eMachines eOne. This has a built-in 15-inch CRT monitor with no physical adjustments possible.

The screen is shifted ~15mm to the left. I have a 15mm wide black band on the right, and the left side of whatever is displayed has about the first 15mm "cut off".

Running Xorg at 1024x768. This machine has a built-in 8MB ATI Rage graphics chip

What do I need to do to fix this? xvidtune doesn't seem to change anything (though I've been cautious...)

Thanks!

vtpup

#8 Post by vtpup »

First save a backup of your present /etc/X11/xorg.conf as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Then, Menu>setup>xorg wizard>xvidtune. Follow instructions.

(Or if you've already done this skip that step and continue here:)

Open etc/X11/xorg.conf as text.

find all references to your resolution that look like this:

"1024x768"

(the part in red varies depending on your own resolution)

There should be 3 of these. If there aren't 3 of them, you did something wrong in xvidtune. Go back and do it again.

If there are 3 of them:

Change that name in all three to anything else you please -- I used "bugswat"

You could even use "1024x768mechmike"

Make sure it's in quotes, just like it was before.

Save the file, and close the editor.

Go to menu>Shutdown>Restart X Server

Enjoy.

mechmike

#9 Post by mechmike »

xvidtune doesn't change or move the display at all. I tried making it wider, narrower, and moving it left and right to no avail. Notrhing changes either when clicking Test or Write. I restarted X and nothing changed.

vtpup

#10 Post by vtpup »

Different problem then. Open a new thread.

jrb

#11 Post by jrb »

Thanks a lot vtpup,
Nice fix. Simple and it works. To sum up:

1. Open xvidtune from xorg wizard
2. Make appropriate changes
3. Click "Show"
4. X out of xvidtune (not "Quit")
5. Click "Write" in the next screen
6. Navigate to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and open as text
7. Change the 3 mentions of your preferred resolution (1280x1024 in my case) to something else (1280x1024jrb)
8. When you restart the changes are maintained.

Bravo

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

Vtpup,

I was going to offer my suggestion, considering I think my modeline works and all.

But temptation got the best of me and I 'bugswatted' the thing. Bugswatting works, it brought me from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 with no effort on my part.

Naturally, I put it back. But, least I can be counted among the xorg bugswatters, even if I don't know why it did what it did :)

Bruce

vtpup

#13 Post by vtpup »

Bruce,
I think that there are pre-built standard VESA resolutions in xorg and their names take the form "dotsacrossxdotsdown". So "1024x768" is a pre-existing name for a pre-built modeline.

If we try to enter a new custom modeline called "1024x768" with new values into xorg.conf, xorg ignores that and simply uses the pre-built modeline it keeps internally..

On the other hand, if we enter the new custom values into a modeline we call "foo1024x768" and put that into xorg.conf, xorg sees that as a non-standard configuration and accepts it, using it for the display.

I imagine the pre-builts are 480x640, 800x600, 1024x768 etc.

As long as we stay away from those names, we can alter our displays in xorg.conf.

Unfortunately, xvidtune doesn't know this, and attempts to write its adjusted custom modeline using the VESA standard prebuilt names.

Thus, making adjustments in xvidtune to the display creates modelines that get ignored, simply because they are named wrongly.

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

vtpup,

I adjust all with the monitor. The rest is experimental. Here is the theory I've come up with, but haven't tested it clear through.

1) use xvidtune to set the initial values

2) reboot, I find things changed, but not 1 for 1 to the xvidtune values

3) set xvidtune aside, it's done it's job

4) thereafter modify the appropriate values in xorg.conf until I get the results I want. The results are easy to verify. Do I get the H an V size and position I want. It doesn't matter what value it takes to get that. The important thing is the result.

Question: Because I haven't tested it clear through, what do you think?

Bruce

vtpup

#15 Post by vtpup »

Hi Bruce,
I think we are seeing different actions by xvidtune -- it must be either different Puppy versions (mine is 4.1.2) and if I remember correctly you are running 4.0.x, or it is some installation idiosyncrasy of either of ours.

In my use of xvidtune, the following action occurs. My "normal" unadjusted monitor, with controls centered shows a screen badly offset to the right -- I lose about 20% of the screen:

1.) I open the xvidtune program and use the "Left" button to center the image on my screen. I cannot use the monitor's physical buttons to fully correct the screen because they do not have enough range. (Plus, I multi-boot, and the other OS's don't need the same adjustment)
So I do not use the monitor's physical buttons to correct the screen at all. I use the xvidtune Left button to do it.

2.) After saving the new modeline to xorg.conf through some "show" and exit button maneuvering (see steps listed earlier) and exiting xvidtune.

3.) I then restart X. Despite the new modeline created by xvidtune in xorg.conf, the monitor screen has returned to its old off-center displacement. I can open xorg.conf and see the new (correct) modeline, but it has no effect on screen position.

4.) If I rename the modeline in xorg.conf, and then restart x, the screen suddenly is correctly positioned. The modeline is now being used instead of ignored.

Now if I am understanding you correctly, you have a different action:

1.) You open xvidtune and adjust your screen position with the software controls. You exit xvidtune and it saves a modeline to xorg.conf.

2.) You restart X. Your screen seems to have been affected by the new modeline, but it is not quite in the same position that it was when you adjusted it in xvidtune.

3.) You propose changing the values in the modeline by hand in order to more accurately reflect the screen position you want.

The BIG differences in what we are seeing, is that in my case the modeline is totally ignored, unless I change its name. But once I change its name, it is exactly what I adjusted the screen to in xvidtune

In your case, the modeline is not ignored, but the values it contains do NOT represent what you adjusted xvidtune to do visually.

I think it is important to note a possible area of confusion for everyone. The part of the modeline in quotes is a name, a label. It has no numeric effect on actual resolution. So if it is named "1024x768" the individual pixel numbers mean nothing to xorg. It is the entire label "1024x768" which is seen as just a name.

To xorg, the name "1024x768" is, however special. It is the name of a preset internal modeline. If you use that name, but give it special changed parameters in a custom modeline (like those generated by xvidtune), those parameters will be ignored, and the internal preset parameters will prevail.

The name "1024x568" is NOT special to xorg, so it will accept the parameters associated with that name. If those parameters result in a screen with 1600 x 1200 pixels. it doesn't care, it just accepts the values and displays a 1600 x 1200 screen. If the parameters are set for a 800 x 600 screen, that's also what you will see. Same thing for screen position.

Does this make sense?
Does it explain the actions you are experiencing?

Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

vtpup wrote:I think that there are pre-built standard VESA resolutions in xorg and their names take the form "dotsacrossxdotsdown". So "1024x768" is a pre-existing name for a pre-built modeline.
That's correct, though I'm not sure if it's actually Xorg that has the vesa modes built-in or the Xorg driver for your card.

I actually modified the xorgwizard a few months ago to work only with modelines (like you get from gtf), which enabled specifying multiple modes (so the user could toggle between them). Unfortunately, it fell victim to an accidental pup_save deletion...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

vtpup

#17 Post by vtpup »

Unfortunately, it fell victim to an accidental pup_save deletion...
ouch!

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

vtpup,

One important aspect in good forum communication is being a solid reader. In reading your understanding of what I've been doing, I felt you made a super facsimile. I wish to acknowledge you for being a solid reader.

Very condensed:

I have no problems adjusting things perfectly with my monitor. Thus no need for xvidtune.

I was just playing.

I made one typo Modeline instead of ModeLine, but it seemed to take.
I inserted Modeline from the text displayed using CLI xvidtune -s, after running the configuration program and changing things.

Each value in the xvidtune line affects something, width, height, right, left, up, down.

Which value does what is not hard to understand. I think if the values were played with, forgetting xvidtune, a person could get results that way.

That's all, and I still have the lines, but haven't tested it clear through.

I think it's valuable to know how to make instant changes without much if any work, after the tweaking is done.

I already have commands to change resolution without utilities or editing xorg.conf

Command names 1024, 800 and 640

I'll use 640 when playing tetris or solitaire because it's best resolution for these and I'm not likely to multitask in solitaire games.

Regards,

Bruce

vtpup

#19 Post by vtpup »

The only caution I would give to those altering by hand the mode parameters is that some of them will destroy a CRT monitor or the video driver circuitry if in error. An extra digit typo could do it.

Somebody early in this thread claimed to have wrecked more than one monitor using xvidtune. Apparently the first lesson didn't take.

That, and the wizard warnings, naturally didn't stop me from experimenting. But then twenty five years ago I used to hot wire my old Tandy Color computer to the internal video section of a portable TV.

What's a few extra X-rays anyway?

nikmes

SONY PCG-C1MHP

#20 Post by nikmes »

Hi
I am using sony VAIO PCG-C1MHP which has an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY card. resolution is detected correct in xorg.conf as
1280x600. XVID dose not work. What ever i try move i get:

"You have requested a mode-line that is not possible or not supported by your hardware configuration"

Now i got the Modeline using PowerStrip on Windows which is:
"1280x600" 64.969 1280 1440 1552 1688 600 604 610 640 +hsync +vsync

When i enter it in xorg.conf (same way as XVID adds Line) it dose not seem to do anything once i restart XSERVER. I also modify this "1280x600" to be "test" so it wont conflict with anything.

Can someone help me?
Thanks